HP's S3000n Slimline

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

HP's S3000n Slimline

Post by acaurora » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:22 pm

I must say, it is interesting to see how these have changed from the S2000 series. They basically added a large vent area on the right side whereas the S2000 just had a strip of vents on both sides. They also added the Pocket Drive in the bottom, which I think is useless, but can act as extra intakes for airflow? There is a little door that can cover it up.

One thing I think that is ingenous is the mechanism for the drive eject. Instead of like normal OEMs where the eject button presses the REAL eject button on the drive, the bay door is actually two pieces seperated by a spring. WHen you push on the bay door, it pushes the other piece which then pushes a tab WHICH then pushes the eject button on the drive. Granted, it is a VERY complicated and somewhat "will-screw-u-over-if-it-breaks" method, but it is definately interesting.

I personally think I prefer the older S2000s because it did not have so many vents for noise to leak out of and the blower/cyclone fan it used was pretty nice. I never owned one, but as we had it in the store it was always very quiet when I put my ear near it. Now with the large vent on the side and the change from cyclone/blower to a regular bladed fan (mounted on the CPU heatsink), I dont know now about if it will stay just as quiet. We have not really had anything to load it or to test the fan speed.

It does have beefier feet though ;)