65W prebuilt PC

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Redzo

65W prebuilt PC

Post by Redzo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:01 pm

According to This comp.magazine's site (in swedish) Dell is planning to release a very power efficient PC.
It is based on mini itx motherboard based on SISM661GX chipset.
Further, it will have a Celeron M 205 and 256 or 512Mb memory.
Power consumption is said to 65W.
Model name is EC280. PC is said to be really compact in size.

They are aiming this at the very low end/first buyers but this looks to have some great potential for quiet use. :P

With Dells low prices this could be something very, very special. Possibilites are quite stunning when you think about it.

wsc

Post by wsc » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm

See this thread. I believe that is the motherboard inside the Dell you're referring to.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:51 am

only if they use t-atx power supplies that have like 60% effeciency (at least that's the numbers i've got). with a brick psu it's 30W idle, 40W load.

dougz

Post by dougz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:38 am

Redzo, are you sure that it's going to be available in your country? Lots of google hits for "dell EC280" but they first two said:
Dell today introduced its new Dell EC280, a complete desktop computer developed for Chinese consumers who are first-time or relative novice personal-computer users. The product was developed by engineers at Dell's China Design Center located in Shanghai. http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/ ... =en&s=corp
The Dell EC280 will be released in China and hits your pocket with relatively lightweight damage of $340. In fact, it skimps so much on power that it requires only 65W to run with Windows XP Home Edition at the helm.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 ... ec280.html
The others also appear to say its for "China."

Nice cheap mobo/processor is discussed in the thread cited by wsc, above. Case and power supply prices render it somewhat less cost-effective unless lowest power dissipation and/or mini-itx form factor is mandatory.

Linux users, at least with the default SiS drivers, report video issues, too.

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the AMD DTX and 45w products. I think they might be better suited to general purpose computing than the Intel mobo/processor, despite the low price and power consumption of the Intel.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:16 am

Wow! 65W!

Really efficient.

How about Zonbu @ ~10W / typical.

www.zonbu.com

I hope the real world numbers of the Dell PC are much better and 65W is just PSU max wattage?

fresh

Post by fresh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:46 am

Tr00. 65watt is far from breakthrough. My 939 sistem in IDLE is consumin 75 watts at the moment, so one would have to really mess things up, to get so high consumption with so power famished components.

djkest

Post by djkest » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:45 pm

when I build my HTPC with undervolted Petium M, onboard video, and one fan, we'll see how much power that uses.