Anyone tryed a large reservour and no radiator?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpsa

Anyone tryed a large reservour and no radiator?

Post by jpsa » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:37 pm

Imagine a large metal reservour with something like 100 Lts of water, will the heat loss through the metal be enough to keep the water cool?

Imagine a bathtub, if you stay in there for 30min the water will be a lot colder than when you got in (I fell asleep in the bathtub the otherday so I know what I'm talking about :lol: )

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:36 pm

You are familiar wirh the Reserator, correct? :wink:

Every reservoir is also a radiator, just usually a really, really inefficient one. Given enough volume and surface aream anything is possible. (the question is, "why"?)

moparchris

Post by moparchris » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 am

i once had all my watercooling stuff and was waiting for a radiator but got sick of waiting so i slapped it in and used a 20L plastic barrel full of water and it worked fine, it was open so the water wouldve been cooled by evaporation but it worked fine with the CPU at just above stock speeds and temps like 35 degrees idle and somethoing like in the 40's to 50's load, i had it running for a couple of days non stop and it get a little warmer but nothing serious

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:54 am

Sure, that's what I did for a while before I got my heatercore and started doing lan parties.

Anyway, what I had was a big 25 liter water tank of plastic meant for fermenting wine or something like that. It worked great!

toiletduckuk

Post by toiletduckuk » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:33 am

Someone on this forum made a nice rad\res using an aquarium tank and copper piping, too. Don't remember who though :)

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:50 am

humm, I think there are 25Lts beer keg made of aluminum, that would have a nice heat loss...
(is it aluminum or aluminium?)

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:16 am

jpsa wrote:(is it aluminum or aluminium?)
It depends on your locale. Americans use Aluminum, the British use Aluminium, but don't ask me what the Irish, Canadians, Australians or New Zealanders do.

A large container will only warm up slowly. You'll get great cooling for a few hours, but the longer you leave your system running (and the longer you leave it running at full load vs. idle), the warmer the water will get. It probably wouldn't work well with a 24/7 folding machine.

It could be great if you use enough water and switch off at night, but it has a major disadvantage - space and portability. Every time you move your computer, you have to take a 25 liter beer keg with you. Radiators, even the external passive ones, are generally much more space efficient.

The other thing would be the amount of distilled water & water wetter (or whatever) you'd have to buy - but that wouldn't exactly break your budget. I expect a beer keg is much cheaper than a Reserator or HTCS.

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:59 am

When I had my big water tank I only ran it for maybe 8-10 hours/day, and then the proc was at 40ish at load (OCed AMD 1333, at 1400mhz, not plaomino, with a high vcore). 24/7 folding would probably not be a good idea, but just normal stuff is fine for it.

And I just used plain tap water :D And I still do with my radiator setup, although that works only beacuse the area I live in has *very* soft water (Gothenburg, Sweden FYI)

moparchris

Post by moparchris » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:00 am

Spod wrote:
jpsa wrote:(is it aluminum or aluminium?)
It depends on your locale. Americans use Aluminum, the British use Aluminium, but don't ask me what the Irish, Canadians, Australians or New Zealanders do.
Aluminium :D

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:30 am

Yeah its been done before, basically people used fishtanks that had high capacity, they would work well for people who dont have a 24/7 computer as the water constantly and gradually heats up, just think of it as a very slow kettle.

There are however alot of annoyances in having such a setup like finidng enough space for a fishtank/barrel and having a high enough capacity pump... not to mention bigger pummp/more vibration! You might as well use the space for a passive radiator thats very big, would work better.

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:56 am

why would I need a bigger pump? the larger radiator sound nice though, maybe a car engine radiator (~20x16inch) ?

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:17 am

You will have alot more tubing, although if you already ahve alot of tubing it wouldnt matter.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:30 am

About the whole "It'll just keep getting hotter and hotter logic"... not true. It will heat up to a point and then level off, just like any other water cooling system. How hot, and how long it will take to get there is another matter....and that depends on the conductivity of the container, its surface area, and the water volume. An aluminum beer keg would be pretty conductive, where as a glass fish tank would be much less so.

DrCR

Ultra getto

Post by DrCR » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:06 pm

~5 gallons / 19 liters res, no rad.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Read about it here:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=325687

DrCR

Admin Edit: Pics changed to hyperlinks instead. Easier for everyone. :lol:

DrCR Edit: Guess there's no code. I must have gotten its existance into my head from another website's forum. lol Thanks. :)