Interesting (reserator based) Rad\Res released

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toiletduckuk

Interesting (reserator based) Rad\Res released

Post by toiletduckuk » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:06 pm

Just spotted this:

http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog ... 24cfb849b5

looks pretty interesting - wet and chilly chips also do a metre long one to go with the different sizes here, but apparently this retailer has decided not to stock it.

Will probably make a nice alternitive to the Reserator - a sort of intermediate stage between out-the-box solution and fully seperate setups?

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:09 pm

i still think to resertor will have better cooling performance. also that think is most likly made out of aluminum which is not good if you are using copper/brass with it unless you put about 25% additive in with the water. if you had about 3 of those in parallel the cooling performance would be good but still the aluminum would be bad. just my opinion

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:24 pm

Too bad it isn't copper. :(

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:42 pm

after looking at wet and chilly chips site i have found that you can buy the 1 meter one here http://www.wetandchillychips.co.uk/cata ... ucts_id=91
they also advertise it as a reservior not a radiator even though they say you can run a system with out a fan. saying that you would think that they would advertise it as a radiator. very interesting. if it wasnt aluminum i would buy one of these and use it as a reservior. after further reading i think that they are trying to advertise it as being used with your activly cooled radiator. i think you can get the same barbs as the resertor which would allow you to hook it up and boost the system performacne greatly. i think they are made out of aluminum because almost all of there products are aluminum and you could use it without interference from copper. just my though

sgksgk

Post by sgksgk » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:03 pm

i am pretty new to water cooling. what's wrong with aluminum and copper togeter?

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:24 pm

it creates a battery effect that speeds up corrosion but it can be k ifyou add some additives to your system like zerex which i use :D

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:12 am

Actually I met up with Carl (of WACC) a long while ago, and these where in the design phase a long time before anyone had heard of the Zalman reserator... so despite appearances it's not a rip-off.

If anyone thinks they can make one of these out of copper, go ahead and try... the extrusion process would struggle methinks with copper :P. The anodization on the aluminium should make it good enough for most purposes w.r.t the battery effect.

I would love for someone here to have a go with one of these - they are a LOT cheaper than reserators, and can be fitted in-line with existing (external) pumps etc so slotted into most systems. Theoretically it's not doing too much different to a reserator, so I don't see why you couldn't use one of these wherever you would use a reserator. Would be very interested in feedback from a real user with silence on their mind - I am happy enough with my setup for now but looking at alternatives for the next build... :)

piecrust

Post by piecrust » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Thought I wud post being a long term sleeper of the forums.

I currently run a 1meter WACC resevoir and have for ther past 3/4 weeks.

I have a RBX water block and Maze 4 Gpu block with 1/2" tubing a generic rad (1 of those from over-clock uk) and a maxijet 1200 pump.

I have no fans on the radiator.......so the only noise is from the pump only.

The pump is nice and quiet and powerful (1200l/h) but the vibration is a bit of a pain going to try a hydor l30 and if thats a bit easier on the vibrations.....if it is I am going to make a wooden box full of packing to kill the vibrations off (like some1 else did on here).

I have no sides on my case and 1 90cm fan only (a noiseblockerfan but think I might go back to my panaflow)just running in an old enermax 460w.

My rad and pump and most of the water gear in in my desk cupbard while the pc sits on my room floor by itslef with the inlet and outlet going into my desk cupboard if that makes sense ( i'd do a piccy if I had a camera)

Case temp 39'c : Cpu 41'C Room ambient 25'c @idle

or usually case 36'c and cpu 39'c @idle.

Its quite warm in my room and my pc case is where u put ur feet under a desk so effectively no realy any air flow I think thats why I have a high case temp.

Xp2800 at stock speed....Radeon 9800pro at stock

Apart from the pump vibes (which I will cure...lol) I am happy with my WACC res also being my first attempt at water as well i'm happy with my temps as I only want silence not speed ( I have no need to overclock).

keep up the good work folks...

toiletduckuk

Post by toiletduckuk » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:38 am

oh excellent, a user with one :)

what processor are you running? do you think the passive rad is really important?

just wondering if i can get away with a 1m one to keep a Prescott cool :|

piecrust

Post by piecrust » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:35 am

I am not sure whether a passive rad is really needed......but the water coming out of the rad is cooler than the water going in.....I can feel the difference...it is not much but its definitely cooler.

I think the setup is more dependant on pump rather than res size to be honest......a 1m x 60mm holds about 1litre plus say another 1/4-1/2litre in all the pipes rad and bits say total 1.5liters in total...u may as well tryout a bucket with the same volume of water in it......I'm not sure but I think a bigger volume of water is the same as a smaller vol it just takes longer to heat up.

If abucket with 1.5l holds ur temps where u want em then then the WACC rad may be slightly better with the fins (u wud really need to change the barbs on the res from 10mm to 1/2" with a big pump or it wud just restrict it too much) I have no real fresh airflow in my room to help either.

I am running an XP2800 at stock