Water Cooling Circuits Analysis (A liquid cooling work log)

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:19 pm

Scenario One test results are in!

I ran two passes of tests one through three and found that the results were accurate and consistent enough to go by only two runs of each test. Because the ambient temperature at the time the results were measured were not always 23C (was 24C one time, 23C almost half the time and 22C almost half the time), I carefully analyzed the numbers and decided on the numbers posted here.

Scenario Two has now been assembled, filled and bled. I will shoot photos and post them here later.

I did try to run Prime95+3DMark03 together for a new Test 4, but the results were, once again, on the muddy side. Thus, I am going to throw out Test 4 all together from here on out. I just wanted to post the results from the original Test 4 (CPUBurn Idle+light RTHDRIBL) here as a reference to anyone interested

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:59 am

Ed & others,

thank you.

This is among the best, most informative and information packed water cooling threads I've read (in terms of clarity, good writing, clear thinking, nice pictures and all).

This is especially from a point of view of a water cooling beginner / person who wants to do it right, and not just talk theory and bicker about specifications on paper :)

I'm saving this to my hard drive and checking for updates regularly.

Keep up the good work!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:25 am

Thank you, Halcyon!

If the results prove to be worth anything, I may also write up an actual SPCR article on this, but I'm not yet sure if only running two passes would be valid for standard testing procedures on the main site. Either way, as long as it turns out helpful for someone other than myself, I'm happy enough.

The important part is, I still learn a lot about liquid cooling for myself. It's simply the fact that by sharing the knowledge, we can all benefit, and that's the icing on the cake.

-Ed

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:42 pm

It's photo time!!!

First pump; it now gets to lay flat, since all lines are long enough to reach it without issue.

Second pump, in serial with the first one.
I used Akasa TIM-clean to get that funky gunk off the pump that the label leaves behind when you peel it off; I still need to do this on the first pump. The newer, off-white nylon snap-clamps are from McMaster-Carr and cost much less than $1/piece, which I paid for the black ones. :evil:

Here's a shot of how I connected the two pumps together.
I ended up placing an extra piece of foam under the second pump because the inlet is dead center of its side while it's towards the upper edge of the first pump, so elevating the second pump makes them evenly placed.

A clean view of the line from the reservoir to the first pump.

A shot of the line from the second pump up to the northbridge block.

A straight on angle shot of the entire loop while lit.

-Ed

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:08 pm

Don't keep us waiting too long for the results ed..

please...

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:24 pm

I wanted to get some results for Scenario 2 this weekend, but it's been really remarkably hot, and ambient for the testing area was around 27C even with the A/C cranked (something also appears to be screwed with the darn thing :cry:), so I have been looking at the numbers, but not recording them.

I will admit now that so far, the temperatures do not seem to have improved much. :?

Let's hope I can get some similar ambient temps to before so we can get a clearer picture. Even if the dual pumps in serial do not amount to any significant difference, hopefully the final scenario with parallel pump & block loops will yield clearer differences in performance, so I won't quit or anything if it turns out dual pumps in serial is no better than a single pump.

Considering my cooling loop is on the somewhat more restrictive side (I think?), I'm surprised to see that the dual pumps perform no better...

...or is my heatercore truly maxed out? :?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:29 pm

halcyon wrote:This is especially from a point of view of a water cooling beginner / person who wants to do it right, and not just talk theory and bicker about specifications on paper :)
Did the guys at Procooling chase you off? :)

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Considering my cooling loop is on the somewhat more restrictive side (I think?), I'm surprised to see that the dual pumps perform no better...
The MCW6000 has a rather flat performance curve, so it requires much greater flow to effect a significant temperature difference. Haven't run numbers yet, but I suspect that the second pump took you from ~3 to ~4 LPM. This would give maybe 2C, and your temp measurement isn't exactly lab grade.

That's my guess.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:38 pm

Well while we're on that note...

Feel like making any guesses as to how the parallel pump & block paths will work out? :lol:

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:51 pm

Will respond in a few hours. I'll run some quick numbers for that.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:53 pm

Whoa! Thanks so much!!! :shock:

1911user

Post by 1911user » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:14 pm

My guess is the results will be similar no matter the pump configuration. It is a nice pump and if I didn't already have 3 or 4 pumps, I'd probably buy one. The ambient air to cpu deltas convince me the rad is the limiting factor. Based on previous experience, I'm not surprised or disappointed. I may end up selling the Ehiem 1250 yet.

I think the biggest benefit of this test (and w/c setup) is to show what performance can be obtained with the class (and size) of watercooling components used and how they can fit into a commonly used case form-factor with minimal modifications. I think adding the side fan and removing the fan grills are the only case mods in the final configuration. I know Ed doesn't want this to be about his water system, but in the end it is a good example of what can be done with off-the-shelf components. And that is very worthwhile for this forum IMO.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:27 pm

Edward Ng:
Gooserider; was adding to my last reply by edit when the e-mail came in notifying me of your post; will address it after this:

---Copied & Pasted as PS from last reply---
I do not feel the need to address the other stuff in this thread. My system itself is not the primary focus here, as has been discussed before. It's not about Ed's water setup. It's about what happens when you run two CSP-750s instead of just one, and what happens when you switch from two pumps in serial to two pumps in parallel.
Agreed, (oops, gotta pause, GF is groping me....:shock:) (a considerable while later - Sorry Ed, some things are just more fun than your WC system...:wink: 8) ) At this point, barring problems suggesting that you are bottlenecking on the rad size, changes don't make much sense.
I agree on the air flow being backwards; I've read that it should pull through and I'm sure it works better, but I did not have time to screw around any more with the heatercore assembly--I wanted to get this show on the road already. Same goes for trying to fit in a larger heatercore; when I get the time and energy to bust up more of my case to cram in some uber ultra extreme gigantor heatercore from a Peterbilt, fine, I'll do it, but not now, not until this circuit comparison is done, because it just isn't pertinent to the test. As it is I plan to change out the duct for a better one; considering how much trouble it will be to undo the RadBox now that it's sealed up with box tape inside and out, I'm not doing it untul it's time and I'm not going to make minor changes when that time comes.
Makes sense. Mostly my suggestions have been aimed towards future mods, not anything that needs to be done now. Since you've started to run tests and generate numbers, changing anything but the pumps would be bad as it would skew the results.
I do not wish to discuss tube diameter; 3/8" was much easier to work with, and every single part of my cooling setup uses 3/8" fittings. Considering the blocks I chose, 3/8" is perfectly adequate. Had I blocks designed for 1/2" instead, I'd have considered going 1/2". There's no way I'm going bigger than 1/2" and I do not see any reason to. Using 3/4" tubing when all your blocks aren't even designed for anything over 1/2" is ludicrous. The minor improvement improvement in performance is not worth the nightmares in routing, fitting, adapters etc. etc. to use something like that. Do you think that using 1/2" tubing would change whether or not dual pumps is better than single? Would it change the results comparing serial to parallel? I doubt it.
Given the 3/8" fittings the use of 3/8" hose is reasonable. OTOH, it does represent some level of restriction, and that restriction WILL be significantly greater w/ serial pumps and higher head pressures. IMHO there is no reason to even consider larger diameters in most of a normal system - the only place I'd even consider it would be for the link between the res and the pump inlet to ensure no inlet restriction (See Phaestus' article on Net Pump Suction Head over to ProCooling). I'd also consider it if doing a really complex multi-box setup like Airspirit's for the manifolds but not in the system itself. @WC pressures and flows the benefits are negligible.
Whether or not the northbridge needs cooling under such extreme overclocking conditions has been under debate before, is currently still under debate, and will likely be under debate forever. I'm not going to delve into that at this time. Needless to say, the block was relatively cheap, and the heat it introduces into the system is peanuts compared to the CPU or GPU.
Agreed on the debate, and also that the heat added is negligible. IMHO the issue w/ NB cooling isn't with the cooling as much as it is the added plumbing complexity, flow restrictions, etc. *I* don't think it's worth it, but am not fanatical about it, there is a case for both stances.
Quieter fan? Sure--the day I decide to water cool this system for silence without headphones on my head.
---End Paste---
Again agreed, changes are for later. Might be interesting though to do it as a "typical WC system being quieted" sort of article.
Obviously we've reached a concensus that the heatercore/fan assembly can be left alone for the time being (assuming it does not heavily affect the test outcome). That's nice.

Okay, fine. No set duration. When it appears stabilized, that's it. Whether it's 2 hours or 48.
Not sure I agree on that... I am not sure the time is critical in setting the initial parameter, but I do think that once a time has been set, it should be consistent. At the very least there should be a requirement that "stable" is a set of temps that has been maintained w/o significant change for some consistent and considerable time (1hour?). It might also be worth noting how long it took to get to a stable temp, especially if this varies.
If your concerns about heatercore capacity limiting my test results turn out true (i.e. the results for all three arrangements are, within margins of testing error, the same), then consider the test null and void. Sorry, but I did my best, unless somebody else is going to foot me the cost of a better heatercore (in that case I'll just set it up outside of my case with a minimal tube run, run the full battery of tests on the 3 pump arrangements, and then call it that). How much more can you ask of someone who's a first time water cooler and has a massive backlog of other reviews to take care of (I have samples of Cooler Master CoolDrive 6, Aerogate 3 and Ultra Vortex all sitting around begging for attention)?
I have one core I could possibly do a short term loan on, but you'd need to pick up the freight, and I'm not sure it would be worth UPSing it back and forth.

I have seen the early numbers you posted, and I think it is pointing towards a system bottleneck somewhere that is keeping you from doing better. I suspect it is the core's ability to reject heat, although it could also be a block limit (less likely). The idea of doing a test like this is a reasonable one, but it does point up the limits of system level testing in that the effects of the other components in the system tend to mask the variable. This is why I tend to prefer isolated tests like BillA's where efforts are made to ensure that the rest of the testbed has enough capacity that only the varied part will have an impact. (he would also be grumbling about your level of accuracy, etc. but we don't need to go there now. However it is worth noting that accurately measuring WC gear poses the same sort of problems that getting dB #'s for really quiet components does - Zeroes are ALWAYS expensive numbers...)

While you have done a wonderful job with what you have, especially for a first time WC effort, I don't think your results are all that useful since they reflect all of your hardware, and other choices might have different results. For instance your blocks do quite well at low flows; while they do better with higher flows, a Cascade would have shown a bigger difference. Etc, Etc, each change makes a difference and there are no magic bullets. The key is choosing parts so as to create a balance where each component contributes at it's optimal point on the returns curve. This is not an easy thing to do. Given YOUR components, I suspect that a single pump is your optimal point, and adding a second pump won't make a big difference.

Gooserider

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:34 pm

Gooserider wrote:Given YOUR components, I suspect that a single pump is your optimal point, and adding a second pump won't make a big difference.
Well, judging by the numbers I'm looking at so far (already completed two passes of Test One on Scenario 2), it seems you're more right than wrong--as a matter of fact, it seems that my temps have actually gone up!!! Could this be the presence of pump heat?

I guess I'll have to see what happens with Tests Two and Three.

-Ed

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:58 pm

I can list the duration from here on out; note that all previous tests had a minimum of actually 3 hours to stabilize; I actually saw the temperatures stabilize within 2 hours, for most tests, but I left them running longer to be secure.

My original choice of the MCW-6000A was that I honestly had no idea just how good these CSP-750s are, so I was banking on a reasonably affordable block that would perform pretty well even at lower flows (it is, after all, for my own use, and not merely testing purposes). Considering the temps I'm already getting, I'm quite happy with it as it is; the unfortunate thing being that it may have contributed to this test being inconclusive.

I do very much admire BillA's work; this is why he's a professional in this field and I'm just a dabbler, of course. I know my accuracy here has plenty to improve on; it certainly doesn't come close to the precision of my heatsink tests (mainboard diode isn't even calibrated like it is for the heatsink testbed). As I said, this is not an all-out, official piece, which is why I'm just dumping it here in the forums.

That and the thought of trying to stick a diode into the middle to the loop without risking leaks made my brain smoke up.

Hopefully we'll learn something useful in all this meddling around, huh? :lol:

-Ed

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:31 pm

Could be... You are adding some level of extra heat from the 2nd pump, I forget the Watt spec for these, but I would lay odds that by the pump design nearly all of it's rated power will end up in the coolant. (minimal air dissipation and motor closely coupled to the Al pump block)

Your rad has to get rid of AT LEAST that much additional heat just to 'break even', let alone cool any more, if it can't get rid of the heat, then temps will go up until it can.

The WC loop is a transport system, each unit of water picks up a certain amount of heat from the blocks and dumps it into the rad. The fan then sends air through the rad and each unit of air picks up a smaller amount of heat and takes it away. (Hopefully there are more air units since each can only carry a little bit) The temp difference at each stage controls how much heat gets transferred, and the heat being dumped by the rad will equal the heat being put in by all the other components (at a stable point.) If the two aren't equal, the relative temps will shift until they are.

There are two main areas of diminishing returns, namely the blocks and the rad.

Assuming constant coolant temps, increasing flow would mean more units of water, thus more heat pickup. However the block can only transfer heat from the CPU to the coolant at a certain speed, so instead the Delta-T between the coolant and the block will drop, so each unit of coolant picks up less heat. (and the CPU is also cooler) This means that while increasing flow will always lower the CPU temp, there is a fairly steep diminishing returns curve after a certain point. Where the point is depends on the block, a Swifty block reaches it fairly soon, a Cascade considerably later. Thus a Cascade will cool better than a Swiftech, but it takes alot of flow to do so, and at very low flows the Swifty might even be better than the Cascade at the same flow.

Rads have the reverse effect and are primarily limited by airflow, where the more air there is, the more heat they can dump. However, there is a point where at a constant airflow, increasing Delta-T will not cause the rad to dump a great deal more heat so the point of diminishing returns hits again. Likewise, because there is a limit to the speed at which heat can carry through the rad, there is a point at which increasing the coolant flow doesn't give more heat transfer either.

The ideal is to have a system with the following characteristics

1. Enough pump flow capacity to almost but not quite hit the block diminishing returns curve point when flowing through the entire system.

2. Blocks capable of transferring enough heat at the flow point to keep the CPU (or whatever) temp acceptable.

3. A rad with enough capacity that it is slightly further from it's diminishing returns point in handling the entire systems heat input than the block is.

#1 can be a problem, but it doesn't sound like it in your case.
#2 is rarely a problem if decent quality blocks are used, which you have.
#3 is frequently a problem, mostly from airflow - and sounds like it in this case.

Gooserider

1911user

Post by 1911user » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:43 pm

Could you open the fill port on the res and measure water temp there? I'm not sure how much air space and turbulence you have in the res.
Maybe a temp probe sealed into a plug would allow easy long-term water temp monitoring.

For 3/8ID tubing, you picked a very good block at a great price.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:49 pm

Would the thermal sensor on my Extech True RMS multimeter be safe for submerging? If that's the case, I can go ahead and measure water temp this way; shamefully, I don't have this data for the single-pump arrangement. :cry:

-Ed

EDIT: Well I just finished the first round of Test Two on Scenario Two and it appears my temps are higher 1-2C on the CPU/GPU but lower 1C on the GPU...

How much of an effect could it have had on the system that I reused some of the coolant that was originally in the system when I drained part of it out switching pumps, rather than just filling with fresh coolant?!? Can adding a single pump dump a whole 1-2C more heat into the system?!?

1911user

Post by 1911user » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:34 pm

The coolant shouldn't be an issue unless contaminated between runs but that seems very unlikely; I wouldn't worry about the coolant. It should probably be changed every 6 months to a year especially if you have anodized aluminum and copper in the loop. The chemical that prevents (or greatly slows) corrosion needs periodic replacement and fresh coolant does that.

I don't understand this statement: Well I just finished the first round of Test Two on Scenario Two and it appears my temps are higher 1-2C on the CPU/GPU but lower 1C on the GPU...

Do you mean cpu temps went up while gpu core temps went down? If so, I can believe that happening because the section of the video waterblock over the die is very much like the maze4 cpu waterblock and those did cool better with higher flowrates.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 am

Then that would make sense...

I just ran a run of Test Two overnight on the system and found the temperatures on this test are showing up lower than in Scenario One...

Will run Test Two once more later today, after work, but what are the chances that the idle temps (Test One) are higher than before, but somehow, load temps (Test Two) are lower than before? This is mind boggling! :?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:42 am

Apologies for replying much later than promised. And unfortunately, I don't have Goose's excuse for delay...

Numbers didn't pan out. Pump info is available, as is MCW6000 and rad data. I can't truly estimate flow, however, with the other 2 blocks in the system. I think it's safe to say that parallel pumps will provide less flow than series pumps with your setup. Therefore the temps should be somewhere in the middle of existing results. With your measurement resolution, this probably falls into the "no detectable change" region...

I look forward to water temp info - it should prove most valuable. Doubtful that the 2nd pump is adding 2C to the loop - that would be a 20W pump with a 0.1C/W rad. Would you be willing to unplug the mobo to run just the pumps and fans for a couple hours? Water temp from such a test would tell us a bit about pump heat.

1911's comment on the GPU block nailed it! Good analysis is refreshing: people so often forget that the shape of the curve matters more than a single value.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:25 am

Unplugging the mobo to do just fans and pumps is very simple; I'll do that today.

My initial thought was the same, but I didn't know if it was pure hogwash, so I never brought it up; there may also be the possibility that because the heat is getting off the NV-68 block better with the higher flow, the water temp. is going up, but the heatercore isn't able to deal with the extra heat from the NV-68, and in turn the CPU temps actually go up, because the increased flow does nothing to help, but now the coolant is warmer.

Let's hope I can get my ambients to testing level (22-23C) for the water temperature check.

-Ed

PS Off-topic, but looking towards the future, I believe I may change up the tubing from the reservoir to the pumps to 1/2"ID (leaving the rest at 3/8"ID), as well as changing up my block for Cathar's up coming Storm G4 or Storm G5, should he build it. As far as heatercore is concerned, I'm trying to devise a way to utilize a dual or even triple-120 heatercore without adding excessive tubing to the system (i.e. likely an external mountjob). The case itself is just too small for something significantly (i.e. noticeably) larger to fit internally. Besides that, I will probably switch up the coolant ratio to something more like 80-85% distilled water and the remaining 20-15% red glycol+supercoolant+biocide, in the interests of having less viscous coolant.

EDIT: I think a cheaper alternative, now that I've done a few measurements and looks at things a bit, is to simply add another Pro-120 into the loop, similar to the parallel loops shown in C-Systems' literature. With the pumps in parallel block loops, push one loop through one heatercore and push the second loops through a separate heatercore. The problem is, where would I mount the second heatercore? Seems externally is the only choice. :cry:
Last edited by Edward Ng on Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:59 pm

Okay, finally got ambients down to 23C; with one pump running, the system off and only the fans going, I measured a water temp. of 23C. This means the pump is making virtually negligible amounts of heat; that's what's supposed to happen, anyway.

I just turned on the second pump and will give it some time add its heat to the system. I'll go and measure the water temperature with the second pump running in a couple hours.

-Ed

EDIT: If it's not the added pump, what else could it be? I mean, when I went to do the pump swap, I made sure to wear gloves and to use cleaned out, dried out containers every step of the way, to ensure that the coolant wouldn't get contaminated. I guess the bit of extra heat now coming off the faster flowing GPU block really is heating up the water an additional amount that the heatercore can't handle, and thus with the water warmer, the CPU is warmer. :?

That's actually fine by me; being that my GPU is warmer than my CPU, I wouldn't mind an inversion of the single-pump thermal situation (i.e. more balancing out between the two chips).

1911user

Post by 1911user » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 pm

Ed,
The GPU block operating more efficiently due to a high flow rate (lower C/W) will not add more heat to the water. The block is just transferring the same amount of heat more efficiently so the delta temp between the water temp and GPU die temp should go down.

EDIT: I was looking at the pics with 2 pumps and saw something. Check that the tube from the res to the pump inlet isn't putting pressure on the tube from the rad to the cpu block (you know the one I thought looked tight). That might explain the cpu temp rise. Tubing pressure on a block can be tricky to deal with sometimes.
Last edited by 1911user on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:38 pm

isn't there a really common (for wc) Chevette heatercore that's something like 6.5x7" including tanks? forget model offhand. that would be a pretty nice compromise if someone could figure out a better way to ventilate it than 1x120mm or 4x80mm. :P

almost depressing how much nicer just hanging crap off the back of a case is. lower noise, cooler mosfets/drives/NB etc, barely any space taken up inside, less modding/planning... just that having to move a PC like 6" forward sucks for a lot of people. :? would probably end up with the front of my case even with the back of my chair...

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:44 pm

Okay...

I just checked the water temp for dual pumps and it is same as ambient, once again, so the obvious case for these pumps making little to no heat and dumping it into the water pans out.

1911, I just checked that line again and it remains no tighter than during the test with a single pump; sorry, wish that explains it.

I'm out of explainations, considering the cooler GPU won't equate to warmer water. We'll just have to see what the results look like for all three tests in this arrangement and then for the third arrangement.

-Ed

EDIT: Clarification in statement above.
Last edited by Edward Ng on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1911user

Post by 1911user » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:46 pm

Straker,

Look at the pics I've posted of my rigs. That is the same 86 chevette heatercore in both. It is standing up in the Enlight case (narrow case) and laying on its' side in the SLK3700. This thread points to about the largest heatercore I think will fit into the case style that Ed and I have leaving only the 5 1/4 bays. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=117055
It isn't tall enough to hold 2 120mm fans, but it would hold 2 92mm fans or a 120mm fan and a good shroud.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:09 pm

Am running first pass of Test Three tonight; both passes of Test Two are complete...

Measured coolant temp. while running Test 3 so far is 31C with 21-22C ambient (call it 21.5C, I guess; my sensor was flopping between 21 and 22).

-Ed

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:22 pm

1911user wrote:Look at the pics I've posted of my rigs. That is the same 86 chevette heatercore in both.
sorry, should have been clearer, yes, i was aware of a few around that size, but didn't know any specific ones offhand (more familiar with 2x120mm) and didn't want to go wade through hc lists. :)
of course bigger is always better for the rad alone even without more fans, but it'd be nice to find a fan the same size or close... not to skip the shroud, that'd be silly, just to maximize airflow (within reason) with a single fan. wasn't considering case restrictions per se, just that going up to 2x120mm from there is such a large difference in space sacrificed/modding needed.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 am

Scenario Two results are in!!!

First, the Scenario One results for reference (so you guys don't need to scroll 'til your mouse wheel's borked):

And now, Scenario Two:

Because the results didn't seem to make much sense with idle results coming in conflict with the results of the previous tests, I did some thinking into my test methods to see what I had begun doing differently from before. I realized that with Scenario One, I gave all the tests more time to stabilize than when I ran the first test on this arrangement, so what happened was I scrapped those results (the confusing ones that showed the system warmer, rather than cooler!) and redid all the tests. Each of the three tests were run with two passes again, with the initial two passes of Test One and the initial pass on Test Two thrown out. For the first run of each test, I let them go until, "seemingly," stabilized, and then let it run another duration longer (i.e. if it stabilized after 2 hours, I let it go an extra 2 for safety measures) before measuring temps. The second run for each test was performed overnight; this time, as in the first pump scenario, the results were consistent between the two passes (not so much the case for the first couple tests I ran).

In other words, these are the real results; sorry to confused everyone with the initial, "CPU warmer, GPU cooler," business.

Will switch to the next pump config. as soon as I figure out where to run all the tubing and y-splitters/combiners.

-Ed