Watercooling solutions

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bredbored

Watercooling solutions

Post by bredbored » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:36 am

Lo all
I'm considering my first watercooled system, I feel the technology is mature enough now to be reliable and effective in providing a near-silent cooling solution to even moderately powerful machines.
The new machine, if I built it tomorrow, would be based around an AMD64 s939 Winchester core, with nVidia 6800GT graphics. I like the look of the Reserator - easy to get here in the UK and most comments are positive.
Three questions;
- is anyone using the Silentmaxx watercooling-prepared PSU (http://www.quietpc.com/uk/watercooling.php#wcpsu) able to report their experience?
- the Reserator seems to have no monitoring output to the PC; is the only way to know it's working either stare at the flow pipe (impractical and unreliable) or add another pump to the system - I see some of the other pipes have fan-type connectors so they can be monitored by the mainboard. If the Reserator's own pump fails, but you have another in the loop, the broken pump doesn't stop the waterflow does it?
- does the Reserator have its own mini-PSU, or draw current from the PC? The former, I assume.
TIA
Kingsley

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Watercooling solutions

Post by pdf27 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:09 am

1) Never heard of anyone using one - TBH a good fanned PSU will probably not add much/any noise to your system, while giving some case ventilation (your HDDs may well cook otherwise). Remember any passive coolers like the NB will also need some airflow.
The only totally fanless person I've heard of was Bladerunner, and he was watercooling everything including the MOSFETs.
2) I wouldn't worry about it - there should be a thermal protection circuit in the CPU which would shut it down before you hit dangerous temperatures. A second pump would add some flow if the first failed, but it probably isn't worth it.
3) Not sure - I was under the impression they ran off 240v.

bredbored

Thx

Post by bredbored » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:05 am

OK, thanks for that. I didn't really consider the HDDs properly, agreed they'll need an airflow too.
Kingsley