Laing DDC failure - False Alarm?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

brad

Laing DDC failure - False Alarm?

Post by brad » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:25 pm

I've been running a Laing DDC from dangerden for about a month, and I've been quite happy with it until this weekend. It no longer runs! If I put my finger on it and turn the power on I can feel it kick a little, but it doesn't turn.

I tried to turn it on about 20 times before giving up for the night, then the next morning it started right up and ran fine until I turned it off a few hours later. Later in the day I tried again and it wouldn't go. I've given up and reinstalled my noisy reserator enheim pump now.

-EDIT-
seems to work now, further details below
Last edited by brad on Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:14 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

brad

Post by brad » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:36 pm

I don't think I'll be sending it back.. the shipping will cost almost as much as the pump, and I'm a bit busy at the moment and can't be bothered :)
If I don't return it I'll cut it open when I get a bit of time.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:50 am

Any chance you are in the states? If so I wouldnt mind paying for shipping so I could disect it :D

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:45 pm

jamesavery22 wrote:Any chance you are in the states? If so I wouldnt mind paying for shipping so I could disect it :D
lol I'd pay shipping to play with it too.

brad

Post by brad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Nah I'm in Australia.
Haven't checked the invoice but I think shipping was half the cost of the pump!

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:00 pm

ahh darn austrialia is a but too far away.

EntropyAJB
Patron of SPCR

Post by EntropyAJB » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:23 pm

I had the same problem about a month ago (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18434). Have you tried shaking or tapping the pump to get it to turn on? I have found that if I give it a couple good taps with the end of a screw driver it will turn on, and then stay on without any issue until the next time I power down the computer. Just out of curiosity what are you using for your cooling fluid?

eander315

Post by eander315 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:11 am

Someone just posted some info about Laing DDC pump problems over at ProCooling. It appears that there were a few pumps with a microprogramming problem that causes the pumps to fail to start. The links below explain it better, and Bill from Swiftech said he'll convey more info on this as soon as more becomes available. In any case, the best way to fix this problem is to RMA the pump with the vendor.

Original Coolermasters post (use a translator if you don't know French):
http://www.cooling-masters.com/forum/in ... 446&st=650

ProForums post with BillA's reply:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11332

brad

Post by brad » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Well I suspect the pump wasn't getting enough power to start. Either that or it's just decided to work again! :)

Unfortunately I've moved house and had a nasty bout of the flu since I last messed with this so I can't remember the exact configuration of my PC when I thought the pump had failed. I have a feeling I tried unplugging all the other devices to get the pump going before, but I'm not sure about that.. oh well, I can't be sure so I'll just have to keep an eye on it from now on.

It's a real relief to get this pump going again after listening to the old rattling reserator pump for a few weeks :)

eander315

Post by eander315 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:47 am

Someone at ProCooling measured the startup power draw at something like 1.5 amps on their DDC, which is fairly low and should not be a big drain on your power supply. Either way, at least it's working again :)

DougG

Post by DougG » Sun May 08, 2005 2:34 am

"Well I suspect the pump wasn't getting enough power to start. Either that or it's just decided to work again!"

I think you should watch this pump carefully, I had one, and a friend has two.

All three stopped and I even went out an purchased a new 600W power supply.

Same as you, the pump started to work again, then stopped a week later.

I understand they stop for no reason, and may start back up again once you turn your computer off/on. Seems once they start there fine, but it's a guess if they start each time.

I have a MAG pump now and very happy with it so far.
My only issue is it is too quite and I have no idea if it's running.

Little scared after DDC issue.

Uberapan

Post by Uberapan » Thu May 19, 2005 8:14 am

brad wrote:Well I suspect the pump wasn't getting enough power to start. Either that or it's just decided to work again! :)

Unfortunately I've moved house and had a nasty bout of the flu since I last messed with this so I can't remember the exact configuration of my PC when I thought the pump had failed. I have a feeling I tried unplugging all the other devices to get the pump going before, but I'm not sure about that.. oh well, I can't be sure so I'll just have to keep an eye on it from now on.

It's a real relief to get this pump going again after listening to the old rattling reserator pump for a few weeks :)
I routinely have to shake the DDC to get it to turn on after it has lost power. It runs perfectly once it's on though. Good thing I turn the computer off only about once per month :)

andrus

Post by andrus » Sun May 22, 2005 11:12 am

I've had two Laing DDC's "fail" within 2 weeks. I'm now trying to RMA the second one back and I'm not sure if I wanna give the DDC another try or exchange it for a D4. :(

-Andy

DougG

Post by DougG » Sun May 22, 2005 3:27 pm

Try this www.c-systems.ca

I have one of the first, very small and quite :)
Find a little better performance then DDC (when it was working that is), with less noise.

Only problem is there now hard to get, my friend been waiting for his a few weeks now. I understand all dealers are out of stock as well.

I emailed them first, and asked what model they could get too me soonest, may help for you as well.