I can't seem to loosen the base plate on my reserator.

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Uberapan

I can't seem to loosen the base plate on my reserator.

Post by Uberapan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:41 am

My last post was about not being able to loosen the top lid on my reserator. Now my pump has started claning loudly and I must replace it because frankly I can't take this noise any longer. I tried emptying everything the other day, but I couldn't remove the bottom lid/base plate (where the pump is). If I did like it said in the manual only the black stand came loose. The base plate is stuck and won't let go no matter how hard I try. Now, I'm a pretty strong guy, but this is ridiculous. In my other thread someone recommended a strap wrench, but I can't figure out what this is called in Swedish so I can't find it. (If anyone knows, please let me know :D)

Also, the pump inside the reserator is the Eheim 300 Compact, right? Is it easy to replace? Do I need any additional parts to make this work? How will the new pump get power?

Thanks in advance!

karezza

Post by karezza » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:05 am

8)
Hello
I don't know anything about your system but.
I do know what a strap wrench is:

An Oil filter type of a wrench

Also a chain wrench is very simular

Have a great day/night

l8r

ff

eander315

Post by eander315 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:26 pm

I managed to get my base off with the help of a friend. One of us held the tower upside down while the other used both hands to twist the base free. We tried this for a few minutes with no success until one of us came up with the idea of using rubber dish gloves to give better grip on the cap. Once I put the gloves on, it was much easier (although still a bear) to twist it free.

You have two options for replacing the pump:

1. Have Zalman replace the little Eheim pump under warranty (if you're out of warranty, you can also buy one yourself).

2. Use a bigger, external pump. The reserator comes with instructions for removing the stock pump and replacing it with an external one. If you have trouble figuring it out you could always post a questions about it here. Due to the rash of Eheim 300 pump failures around here, I think it would be a much better idea to just replace it with an Eheim 1048 or a Laing DDC (though I would still have Zalman send you a new pump if you're still under warranty, at least as a backup).

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:18 am

Push a screwdriver into one of the inlet/outlet holes and use it as a lever. Make sure you push it in as far as it'll go, so you're using the metal of the base to lever against, not the plastic fittings!!!