Passive watercooling Project *Updated*

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sanatarium

Passive watercooling Project *Updated*

Post by Sanatarium » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi, hopefully this is in the right section, it is the lastest silent news/development from my garage, so here goes.

You may know my first works, ATi:Ressurected, and Old Skool Silence, also, the Motherboard Cube, and other assorted projects found here, my next case, which is entitled Projekt Passiv, for the reason that it will incorporate 2 passive radiators, custom built waterblocks/resivor, plus some other surprises.

i dislike the usual case mod. ill try to stay away from the vanilla mods i see alot of, so here is some of my work so far, there will be more to come as the project progresses. As always, Im open to suggestions or comments. so fire away!! I appreciate comunity feedback and ideas.

These are the 2 radiators which will be mounted to the machined aluminum blocks, they were $5 each on ebay. 4.5" by 7 3/8", fairly large...

Overview of the aluminum base, attached to the heatsink

This is a corner, of the aluminum radiator block, milling is being done with a 1/2" carbide tipped router bit and a 25 year old, brand new, practically unused sears/roebuck router. nice piece of machinery. almunim cuts very nicely as well.

Overview of the base, the channels are 1/2" wide, and will be 1/4" deep. the holes will be tapped with a 1/4"PT tap, for 1/2"ID tubing, i might use fuel hose, or sink connectors, since they come in a variety of sizes, and everyone uses tygon, so its kinda bland these days.

My shop:
9" Delta Band saw
10" Delta Drill Press
Both were christmas gifts from my father, thanks Dad.

of course, cant have a worklog without adriana lima

Some copper bar, which will be used for the bases of all the waterblocks:

1/2" thick aluminum plate, cut with a bandsaw, used for the radiator bases, and a 1/4" thick aluminum plate, which will be cut for the retention plates on the waterblocks.

Plans for the base, i was bored in history..

Any ideas/comments on the design? I will most likely include a 120mm radiator up front just to handle extra heat during the summer.

Oh and by the way, I have been reading SPCRs articles for over a year now, and I just now got around to joining the forum! Great stuff, alot of intelligent and innovative information in the site!
Last edited by Sanatarium on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:12 pm

That looks really good, you've done a great job milling the aluminum with a router. Are you going to install some kind of gasket around the edge of the radiator or is it already water-tight?

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:02 pm

Yes, Im going to use RTV silicone, as it forms a gasket that will seal the edges in perfect shape, but will be removeable for cleaning etc.

whitebloodcell

Post by whitebloodcell » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm

Do you know specifically what radiators those are? I am looking to do a semi-home made passive cooling system and need to decide which radiator/heater core to use.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:55 pm

they arent any specific brand, they're just big transistor heatsinks used for industrial/commercial applications, look on ebay, they are like $5-10.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Hello again,
I recieved the case today, and it is amazing, this is my second lian li, and I must say, they make great cases, I like the upside down motherboard idea of some newer cases, but i like the look of the old PC65s, so I think Im going to drill out the rivets and flip over the tray and backpanel. I also ordered some sleeving and heatshrink and got that all put together.

Here are Pictures of the case, and some progress of the radiators.

I ordered the case without the window, but they sent me the windowed version. oh well, i have a spare PC60 sidepanel i can use anyways. it worked out nicely.

Here is the spare panel I stuck on. I had originally planned to do some crazy flames but never finished it. Now I have a reason to finish :dremel:

And the design for the panel.

The fans and cathodes, sleeved with red sleeving, and white heatshrink. The overall scheme will end up with white lighting and accents and mainly black with red metal flake. maybe some red bits here and there. i.e. sleeving. But be aware everything will not be sleeved. Im going to use fuel hose or sink lines for the molexes. but thats not until later on.

Rear exhaust fan. Yes friends this is a 120mm fan in a Lian-Li, i had an old junker case I was going to use, but when I saw this I had to get one. Plus Lian-Lis are absolutely a dream to work on. My last case was an old dumpster mutt and its a ***** to open and work on.

Theres one in the front too:

Front panel

Ok, moving on to the water portion, these are rough ideas, and since I took this picture, there have already been heavy modifications to this design. So thats an idea of where the blocks are going.

Updated radiator progress. Its slow, but I have this week off and I hope to finish both rads and start cutting on the case.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Well, after much thought and pondering, i have decided to add a heatercore in the intake, and as much of a passive project this started out as, it will still remain passive, but the heatercore, will just serve as a fail-safe for during the hot summer months. the case will have some airflow, so it is simply not practical to make waterblocks for the mosfets and northbridge, as a.) the passive system cannot handle the extra heat, and b.) the blocks will only restrict flow in the system. So, I still have some other tricks to add, I found a cool-looking 3 neck flask on ebay I might purchase for a resivior, but I am asking for some INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS as to a res. The res will not be the highest point in the system, and since the water will not be moving very fast, I understand there is a high potential for air bubbles to get caught up in the radiators. Any thoughts on this concept or how to get around it?

Ok on to the real update:
I got some work done yesterday on mounting the radiators, but I do not like how the screws look just, "out there", so Im going to rig up a plexi/aluminum(or steel since I have some lying around) mounting plate to fit around the edge of the radiators and dress it up a bit. they will be lighted by LEDs, most likely white, or maybe white with a touch of red.

Getting ready to cut, after measuring and remeasuring 3 times...ugh:

All cut out, ignore the little bit in the middle, that will be covered up anyways.

Im not liking the look of these screws just sitting there in the open.

Test fit of how the top panel will look:

Now, since the case will be glossy black with red metal flake, what goes best with everything else? Any opinions?
Black:

Chrome:

Got to Ace hardware today, picked up some screws etc for the fans, i found some rubber bushings as opposed to actual grommets, bushings have only one side of the grommet, with a smaller portion to fit inside the hole, that way the fan is still isolated but there is no rubber thing sitcking out around the screws on the exterior of the case.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:57 pm

Hello again, another update.

Today I messed around with some copper and aluminum and I must say it was a delight. :hip: So, I worked up a prototype of the VGA waterblock, which is ugly on the inside, but its JUST A PROTOTYPE not the real thing. So, I will use the top, but remake the base now that I have more experience with copper. The pieces were cut on a band saw, which was absolutely amazing to watch a blade cut through 1/2" aluminum like BUTTER!!! and the hole were 10-32 for the 4 bolts and 1/4"NPT for the barbs. So, thats about it, the waterblock design isnt final, infact its disgusting and I am ashamed at my work. So it will be remade, and it was just a test since I do not have sufficient experience in copper machining. Anyways, the doodlings on the case will be cut out, with red powdercoated mesh for the backing on the front panel, and milk plexi with red/white LEDs on the chassis cutouts. Nothing fantastic, just reinventing the wheel. :thumb:

Picture:

Base after drilling retention holes:

1/2" aluminum plate for the top. fresh cut!

This was jsut a cool shot, I used the base as a template to drill the aluminum holes and there was aluminum shavings coming up out of the copper. looked out of place :D

Base after some preliminary drilling. I dont like it so I will make another tomorow.

Tapping the top plate 1/4" NPT, this was a bitch to tap...quarter turn in, half turn out, oil, repeat, ugh.

More tapping action:

Nothing like perfect ridges in a hole.

Halfway assembled waterblock.

Front panel of case, with some swank added. :eeek:

Front panel funk.

Cutout above the motherboard tray on the opposite side of the "service side"

Cutout between the drive holes, will probably be covered with some sort of panel, I hate those little slots for the screws that just sit empty.

An example bay cover.

Well, thats all I have today, but I will have more tomorow, I have been on break all week, I'm normally not this productive!! :hehe: :hehe:

Later

Ok, mini update, got the pyrex glass resivoir, and it is perfect for the project. one line will run to the "to be decided on" filling apparatus at the top of the case, and the other two will be connections to the system, one leading directly to the pump.

Next, these feet which were cut on my bandsaw out of the 1/2" leftover aluminum from the radiators. They will also have some plexi lit with white LEDs or something mounted on the top of the foot between the case, there are also some rubber grommets not seen in the pictures, that will insulate some vibrations. I like how they look like modern industrial server feet...sortof..

Here is 2 feet, one before sanding, and one after. The feet were sanded with a random orbital sander, and 220 grit paper, to create tiny circle-like patterns. The effect under the right light is really awesome. Better than I had expected by a long shot, this was actually a mistake, and I didnt plan for the effect produced!!!

Front feet:

Rear feet:

fingers

Post by fingers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:15 am

Wow, I'm liking this *subscribes* the top panel is a great idea, looks very clean. Will be very interesting to see what kind of temperature you get with this! 8) giving me some ideas to mod my passive watercooled rig some more :D

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Ok, Update time finally!

I have been busy and I didnt feel like taking pictures until now, so here goes,

First off, I redid the waterblock, both the top and the base, due to problems with mounting solutions. so here is the base, I used a hexagonal fin-pin design, with a bunch of tiny hols drilled in a grid pattern, then connected.

Here is the whole block, minus the mounting screws, notice the countersunken cap screws :)

Here is the finished radiator base, one more to go....

Heres the good part, the flange for the dual passive radiators, its 1/16" aluminum panels, free from capitol metals. Note the plexiglass spacer, which will be lit with white LEDs.

Here is the blank PSU plate, which will have an IEC power jack, switch, and relay mounted on it, which will power the PSU(Mounted in the front of the case, probably passive) and the pump, I havent decided where that will go yet.

Here are the feet, with plexi squares, which will be cut down to the edge of the case, I dont like them like this, but they will be lit white as well.

Some progress on the front panel.

Here are the dual washers with bonded neoprene washers, with an acorn nut, for the mounting solution for the case feet.

Thats all I have today, but stay tuned for custom powdercoating, custom auto paint, and more custom machining, all done IN HOUSE! Thanks for reading!

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:57 am

looking good.

perplex

Post by perplex » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:26 am

update on performance?

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:25 pm

Ok, so long time to see, well Im not dead, and I certainly havent put this on hold, I have just been very busy juggling modding/school/life. So, I have a TON of updates and new pics, etc etc.

Here goes.

First, I finished the front bezel with all the craziness, about 2-3 months ago

With mesh insert

Next, I made this fancy HDD enclosure, 100% custom from aluminum stock.

and added mounting rails

Finally finished the flame cutout after over 2 years i think?

I needed a design for the motherboard side, this too just under 1 hour with a jigsaw.Image

Finished the GPU waterblock

PSU hard mounted to a jumbo heatsink, with the ATX and P4 lines all pretty

PSU assembly, side view:

PSU intake vents

also finished the chassis cutout, DONT WORRY about the scrathes, everything is getting powdercoating.

this is the flow indicator/resivoir that consists of an aluminum block and a fan, the block was bored out on a lathe, by dan the man over on [H] forums. Unfortuantely I had to scrap the 3 neck glass flask, it just wasnt going to work out. this fits the theme better anyways.

This is the fan after painting it:

And as for right now, everything is at the powdercoater, and I should get it all back next friday, Ill update then, but it.will still take another 2-3 weeks before the final build and all.

by the way, heres a couple pics of the shifter I made for my buddy this week.

Thanks for reading! Comments/suggestions/criticism welcomed :D !

cotdt

beautiful...

Post by cotdt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:03 pm

Wow, your craftsmanship is absolutely gorgeous! I really love those pics. *drools* Hmmm... but I think you will definately need an extra 120mm radiator like you said. On my Athlon64 Venice (2.6GHz overclocked), an 800RPM 120mm fan over a lone 120mm radiator can easily cool it, but without any fan it would overheat within 5 minutes in Prime95. On my old overclocked Prescott, a 1800RPM fan was required. So, I think in the cooling department since you are going passive, more surface area may be required.

Keep us up to date!

BobDog

Post by BobDog » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:41 am

Damn!

I just got my A-tech case but if I would have seen this first, I might have called you up to see if I could have hired you to build something for me!

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:57 am

well, i ended up going with a D-Tek heatercore, and 2 120s, running about 400-500 rpm, and damn if they arent silent, i cant hear a thing even with the fans on the heatercore. I dont care about temps, so long as they stay within reasonable limits, below 65C under load, just as long as its quiet.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:23 am

more pics please :)

JoshK

Post by JoshK » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:26 pm

You are the man!

Exceptional craftsmanship, I am truely inspired.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Great stuff :wink: My project also has stretched on,through several phases of techno-experimental overkill,but this is way beyond-and so well done too.

I'm often amused at those,who on a pretty simple mod not only don't have a concept,but seem to think a sabresaw is some kinda nuclear device,or the old Antec box is a sacred thing not to be carved up. This is therefore,refreshing,ya got powertools,good pics,a P4 steam generator,all kinds of good stuff to ponder. :D

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:57 pm

Ok, so. Here goes, it has taken a longggg longgg time to get everything together, much longer than i had planned, the powdercoater was late with parts, and there were several complications with certain parts of the system.

I finally got the parts back though, and here are some pics over the last couple of weeks, as the case progressed:

These are the rear PCI covers done in a beautiful kandy red, the little etched markings show through very well.

This is the chassis, done in a crisp white powder, also came out very nicely.

Here is the top panel, with the super gloss black and red flake clear:

Shot of the edge of the front bezel, the flake turned out really sick.

This is the front bezel, after installing the red mesh, and the silver power button.

Next, the PCI covers installed with M3 Socket head hex screws

The new resivior/flow indicator with the outer piece also done in the black+red flake.

In the process of installing all the new parts:

Interior/wires, finished with some brass fittings and clear tubing

The first of the final pictures of the finished product, this is a preview of the new PSU plate, with only a IEC jack, since the PSU is in the front area of the case now.

More Pictures to come, Currently I am finished with the case, all that remains is to take some quality pictures. Thats a whole new challenge. Check back in a couple of days. Thanks for reading!!!

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:07 pm

amazing...

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:32 am

Nice One Centurion!!! 8)

alex7575

Post by alex7575 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:16 am

Sanatarium,

This project of yours is not a case mod. It's case ART!

I know a case like this would be priceless, but would you mind telling us what kinda $$$ you spent to make it?

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:41 am

Heh, thanks I appreciate that, I take alot of pride in designing my cases, not just cutting random shit out.

Overall, it cost me about $650,

$150 for the odds and ends parts for the water system

$100 for the case

$250 for powdercoating(Well worth it IMO)

and then the rest($150) was just other parts, fans lighting leds, heatsinks, etc

My budget is usually $500 for a case, but it went over just a tad on this one. not bad though when you think about the thousands others spend.

Thanks

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 am

wow that looks really good but aren't those threaded fittign for pipes and not for tubes?

alex7575

Post by alex7575 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:20 pm

DryFire wrote:wow that looks really good but aren't those threaded fittign for pipes and not for tubes?
I think you're right about that, but it seems to me that he's using them for cable management, not for watercooling.

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:31 pm

your dead on. theyre for pipe fittings, but i didnt care, they fit, and looked good doing so, and thats what its all about. If you used everything for its inteded purpose, theres no real creativity. :D

Ok, So I took some more pictures to the best of my ability. Not the best conditions today, but good enough. Here goes.

Here is an overall shot of the case, Notice the tinted red Plexi. Also visible is the Lian Li badge, heh, had to keep it.

Opposite side, and back panel, all accents done in red, :D

Moving on to the front panel, Red mesh, and the black carbon filters were added. DVD drive stealthed, i know, rather unoriginal, but it fit for this case.

Close up of the power button, and mesh inserts.

Interior, white chassis.

Interior again, notice wires with brass fittings and tubing.

ATX wire, in tubing.

Supply to the GPU, notice the etched details on the waterblock.

Another overall shot.

Flow indicator, detail of an acorn nut on the mounting plate, plate was just sanded with a 120 grit radial wheel.

Very cool/random shot, the plexi is in fact red. If you would like to see how it looks, follow these easy steps:

Get a pin
Poke yourself
Let it bleeeed
Shine a white LED through the puddle. thats the color of the plexi.

Rear overall shot.

Overall shot, Lights off

opposite side, lights off

Front intakes for PSU, lit by the fan controller LEDs, interesting effect.

Flow indicator/Resivior, lights off.

Interior, Lights off

The top panel, with 24 LEDs, lit up in ALL ITS ****ING GLORY. That thing took at least 6 hours to make the LED chain.

Lastly, a Shot of the flames plus some interior detail, just eye candy.

So, thats about it for this case. Im done with modding for at least a year or so, Im planning on another hiatus, which will most likely be cut short, so stay tuned. Thanks for reading, I always appreciate community feedback and support. tell your friends!!

alex7575

Post by alex7575 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:32 am

Speechless!!!

polonator

Pump

Post by polonator » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:56 am

What pump are using for your passive radiator system?

Sanatarium

Post by Sanatarium » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:26 pm

DangerDen's version of the C-Systems CSP-MAG waterpump, 150gph, in a 2"x2"x2" package. With higher head pressure than an Eheim 1048 too.