Internal watercooling with Antec SX1030 case

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Internal watercooling with Antec SX1030 case

Post by zoob » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:02 pm

See previous thread for background info: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=20189

(I wasn't sure if it should be posted here, system gallery, or water cooling, since it sort of crosses all three of them at the same time).

My pump failed recently (see here), so I had to tear down the loop and redo it all.

This is the final product:

(Typing this up, I think the superglue didn't hold, as the pump is rattling like crazy again. Perhaps I'll try the Laing pump).

I was having trouble finding a proper location, and I ended up following people's recommendation putting the pump where the floppy cage was.

Stupid me didn't realize that I had mounted the pump upside down, at the TOP of the loop. Doubly bad for bleeding out bubbles (which probably helped cause the premature failure of the superglue bond.. again).

Is there a better place to position the Eheim pump? It is quite large. Most people who use it, do not have a PCI soundcard and place the pump there... that is not an option in my case.

Any suggestions, as I retear this loop down to fix the pump? :(

EDIT: Update 1:

Reglued the pump magnet/impeller, and it's working properly again. Still bleeding out bubbles in the new setup.

Temperature-wise, it is disappointing compared to when I had the rad sitting outside of the box. This could be improved by sealing up the space between the rad and the case, but given the limited time I had to rebuild this to get a working machine, it will be on the drawing board. I am considering the possibility of building an external radbox with quick connectors coming out of a PCI slot so that transportation would be easier.

The humming from the pump is even more audible now that is in my undamped case (no surprise here). It was quite annoying when it was sitting on multiple layers of foam on my floor, and it is even more annoying now. Perhaps all these pump issues are pushing me in the direction of the DDC.

Are there any GPU blocks for ATI cards that have an outlet that is perpendicular to the card? The Maze4 I currently have gives a pretty tight bend to the CPU block.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:19 pm

Sigh. Another update when I should be studying instead.

I used the elastic to hang the pump. It's much quieter, but then I had to reglue the impeller once again (does anyone in Canada sell replacements?). It was quite impressive before the re-glue..

After the fix, the hum came back, but it's much quieter. I can hear it through my wooden desk, but I can't feel the vibrations on the case. Perhaps my ears have already adjusted to the lower noise level and has increased sensitivity.. what a vicious cycle.

Edit: Repositioning of the pump/elastics/etc/etc. reduced hum to what it was before. Vibrations were transmitting between various parts of the tubing that were in contact (pump->CPU was touching GPU->rad), and amplifying the noise.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:50 am

get some bubblewrap and put it under the pump. it does wonders for vibration.