Reserator1 and Water Additive By Zalman

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PrimaryB

Reserator1 and Water Additive By Zalman

Post by PrimaryB » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 am

This comes from a conversation I had with Zalman USA support on the phone last night. I've had my Res1 since Aug 12 04 and my 1st replacement pump is going bad. Replaced it in Feb of this year. The person I talked to assurred me that a new pump would be shipped out asap. This will be the second pump. Kudos to their customer sevice.

He mentioned 2 things. they are in the process of developing a longer lasting "better" pump and untill then qoute " do not worry about pump warrenty"

2nd they are selling an additive Im sure you all are aware of, Zalman G100 water cooling additive http://sharkacomputers.com/zag1blancowa.html

My question is, does the price of the additive and its effective life span of 1 year, and asumming the somewhat reduced efficiency because it is glycol based warrent the purchase of the additive? Is there anyone here that has experienced pump lifespan over 1 yr using the additive? My computer stays on 24-7.

Thanks
PrimaryB

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:10 pm

everyone says its a heap of stinking crap, but I use water wetter by Redline auto products.

I dont use a lot of it. that's where people went wrong I feel. also, their systems didnt have a huge resevoir like ours does, they had custom jobs with mini resevoirs. I use at most 5%. probably liek 3-4% water wetter, the rest poland spring distilled water found in food stores.

so far no corrosion, only mild white stuff buildup (it isnt as crazy build white gunk like that some have said).

it works REALLY well. it makes the water better than just straight water. there are no other additives that have this claim and do this claim. It reduces surface tension and lubricates the pump. My pump is silent. i mean it has some tiny vibration with the stack of magazines it sits on, but really, its darn silent.

I will try the zalman stuff out though just the same. I would rather it worked great but I do doubt it as glycol based things really dont absorb and remove heat as well.

PrimaryB

Post by PrimaryB » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:50 pm

How long have you had your pump running in your Reserator? I use distilled water in mine. During the last pump replacement there was virtually no build up of any kind. I understand things happen but when I purchased my Reserator I assumed that the last thing I would be doing was replacing pumps every 6 months or opting to purchase a maintainer (water treatment) at 19.00$ every so often. Dont get me wrong, Zalman has been very cooperative with this issue. But what happens when I get to the point where my pump lasts 14 months and craps out after taking the appropriate measures $ ? Will I be left to have to purchase a replacement pump? Was or am I being to foolish to think I should be getting 3,4 or 5 years out of a pump? There is no reason to think of the Reserator becoming outdated as all other computer hardware seems to become so quickly. When something comes out in the future that is better I probably use it as a dedicated cooler for a single component perhaps. Just my opinion. Perhaps at this moment I'm bored. :D Thanks

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:09 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:everyone says its a heap of stinking crap, but I use water wetter by Redline auto products.

I dont use a lot of it. that's where people went wrong I feel. also, their systems didnt have a huge resevoir like ours does, they had custom jobs with mini resevoirs. I use at most 5%. probably liek 3-4% water wetter, the rest poland spring distilled water found in food stores.

so far no corrosion, only mild white stuff buildup (it isnt as crazy build white gunk like that some have said).

it works REALLY well. it makes the water better than just straight water. there are no other additives that have this claim and do this claim. It reduces surface tension and lubricates the pump. My pump is silent. i mean it has some tiny vibration with the stack of magazines it sits on, but really, its darn silent.

I will try the zalman stuff out though just the same. I would rather it worked great but I do doubt it as glycol based things really dont absorb and remove heat as well.
ewww water wetter.... stinks like there is no tomorrow!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:00 pm

works really well :) i sealed up my top breather hole and live in a near ocean place so the summers have windows open always at night for cool air.

if it comes winter again and it still smells i will attempt to redo my fittings with more res plus items, try wetter again, if it still smells i will go to Zalman's stuff which is basically nice and simple.

I would never use straight distilled water in this thing, even if it didnt corrode it. the lubrication and vibration free workings of this lil stock pump must be due partially to the excellent qualities of water wetter. my pump was turned off 2x for about 1/2 hour each time since april. maybe i got a great one, I hope it's just rather my additive than luck however. I eventually will be like everyone and need to replace it at one point. I hope the replacement is noisier :(

----
oh you ask how long on continuous run? well for one, its hot in there, thats not normal for the pump. It is meant for fish tanks at 85 degrees or cooler (F). It also is a light duty pump, but a good one. being that I am very into fish tanks and plant growing, I use small pumps vs big ones as I do a lot of plany biological filtering and very little mechanical and man-made filtering. In a continuos run, a pump of this sort should last 2 years being relatively quiet. probably 1 year for the same level of sound as when first purchased. these lil guys are pumping like mad for a long time, it eventually gets a bit off centered and sloppy inside, more movement tolerance and such, more vibrating noises. motor wise though I think very little changes in my pumps, its mostly the water touching mechanisms that eventually scream with aa BRAAAAAAAp sound of some sort.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:10 pm

there are industrial pumps reputed to last over 10 years. why buy aquarium pumps when there are industrial ones that last much longer and are designed to handle much higher temperatures? i am using the CSP-MAG which is used as an industrial pump. i think industrial pumps would be a better choice for watercooling, especially with the shift toward silent pumping.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:16 am

Is there any bad smell on the Zalman G100 after it is inserted inside the Reservator? i.e. any leak smell?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:26 pm

this is silent computing... not a factory!

it is possible to have both but they arent mixed normally. a fish tank submersible is designed to not wig out fish as well as not bother the owner who enjoys the silence and bubles of his friends swishing around. :D

fish roxk

supastar42

Post by supastar42 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:53 am

The only coolant additive that Eheim will accept for warranty purposes is innovaProtect. See it here, http://www.pc-water-cooling.com/en-us/dept_10.html

Automotive anti freeze products are totally unsuitable as they are designed to run above 100C. Water cooling systems operate around 40C - the ideal temperature to breed bugs. So you need an additive that can protect specifically at that low temp.

And alcohol based products can damage plexiglass housings.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:53 pm

The Zalman additive, as shipped in the Res 1plus, is not smelly. There's a faint sweet odour (ethylene glycol has a sweet smell), but that's all. Haven't noticed any smell at all since I put the lid on the reservoir.

Both my Reserators (a 1 and a 1plus) are on 24/7 (as are the PCs they are attached to). No change in noise level yet, and the Res 1 has been running since June (nearly 4 months). I added a PC cooling additive to the water in the Res 1 - I used a thing called Hydrix by Swiftech.

BTW: The person who claimed that glycol isn't a good coolant should realise that the liquid is over 90% water, so the reduced thermal capacity of glycol isn't an issue (if we were running 90% glycol, then I'd listen). The bottle of Zalman additive holds 500ml, but there's already a fair bit of water in that, and then it's mixed with 2 litres of distilled water. By comparison, the Hydrix additive is mostly active content, but the bottle only holds 2 fluid ounces, and is mixed with 1 litre of distilled water (don't you love the mixing of measurement systems? 2 fluid oz is about 50ml)

Only difference I've seen between the Hydrix and the Zalman is that the Zalman additive is blue while Hydrix is green :-)

Reddog99

Post by Reddog99 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:50 pm

supastar42 wrote:Automotive anti freeze products are totally unsuitable as they are designed to run above 100C. Water cooling systems operate around 40C - the ideal temperature to breed bugs. So you need an additive that can protect specifically at that low temp.

And alcohol based products can damage plexiglass housings.
Automotive anti-freeze products are the same ethylene glycol that these companies are selling as their own product. I've been running a Reserator for a year using regular automotive anti-freeze. And since ethylene glycol is a poison, no "bugs" are going to breed in it.

Pat

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:05 am

apparently the same for water wetter.

kills babies or something.

i dont have a lot in it, but nothing has grown. I have a clawhammer and a 9800pro aiwonder card. both at load give off considerable heat (x800xl is lower power consumption than a 9800pro fyi)

i wonder if the big swing in temps during gaming combined with toxic level of pink stuff (wetter) kills everything. if not, I duno what to say. miraculous system perhaps.

Oh and thanx for the info on the zalman fluid. 10-20% glycol wouldnt have a huge effect on the water absorbing the heat. I was thinking it was a load of thick goopy glycol that you diluted in water. would suck then.

I might just go and get it. at least it is made for in home use.

something to REALLY consider. I would have if someone pointed out to me the possible deadly or degenerative adfiefj oij dmy mother janem oefa jae

dsff sf,
sdfj