Reserator vs TT Rocket

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Krazy Kommando

Reserator vs TT Rocket

Post by Krazy Kommando » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:27 pm

hey all,
ive been making heaps of threads lately about VGA cooling & which case to buy, but ive just realised that i can spend about the same amount of money and get either the Reserator (non Plus version) or the TT Rocket! so, since im really new to all this watercooling stuff (yes ive read the stickies :P ), is there anything i should know about either of these H2O systems?

im currently leaning towards the reserator, but ive got a few questions about both.

a) is it true that the reserator uses just distilled water (while the rocket uses special coolant)? or should i add anti-corrosion & bactirial stuff to the mix? i shouldnt need anti-freeze as it doesnt get very cold here, or does it do something else as well?

b) ive read alot about reserator pumps failing. is this something that is inevitable? if so, is it easy to add a new pump if the old one fails?

c) i read somewhere that TT's acrylic blocks are pretty bad also, is this true?

d) which VGA block would be best for the reserator? the GWB1 or the GWB2? there was a thread on here somewhere stating that the GWB1's smaller block can be used on the nforce4 chipset, would this therefore make the GWB1 a better sollution than the GWB2?

e) what kind of mantanance does water cooling require? (apart from just making sure there isnt any water in your case :) ) how often do you need to replace the water?

f) if you have any other pearls of wisdom to share about this stuff, let me know :)

-thanx

zds

Post by zds » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:46 am

Reserator 1 Plus comes with water additive. Even if I were to buy original Reserator 1 now, I'd use that, just to be on the safe side.

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:00 am

a) In theory, the Reserator can get away with ordinary tap water, since it is uses anodised aluminium and a gold-plated copper waterblock surface. In practise, only a lunatic would use tap water in any water-cooling system. Your best bet is to use distilled water plus the additive. Alternatively, high-performance automotive anti-freeze usually contains a corrosion inhibitor, and pond algicide works quite well for prevnting microbial growth.

b) The quality of reserator pumps is variable, but since they are an off the shelf Eheim model, that is beyond Zalman's control. But yes, they are fairly easy to obtain and replace. Or you could fit a better external pump. There are instructions in the reserator manual for replacing the pump.

c) Couldn't say, but acrylic sounds a little flimsy to me.

d) The GWB 2 is probably superior from a VGA cooling perspective, since the water has to swirl round a bend, rather than passing straight through. The GWB 2 is also more compatible - the GWB 1 doesn't officially work with nVidia 6 or 7-series cards. Personally, I don't believe there is any point watercooling the chipset unless you are overclocking - you add more heat, and more importantly, further restrict the flow of water. Passive cooling works perfectly well.

e) Check the waterblocks every now and then for signs of corrosion; check the connections and pipes for signs of leakage; and change the coolant every six months.

Out of interest, why are you not interested in the Reserator 1-plus?

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:35 pm

You should use some additive in the "old" Res also, and distilled water. I dont know what Zalman technicians were thinking about when they wrote the manual... :roll:

The new GPU block is, or should be, far better for gpu cooling thatn the old one, but the old one can be used for chipset cooling and is so small its pretty easy to fit. I did this, and the chipset emp was 35c under laod or so, with just a passive zalman NB47-J heatsink load temps are 65c. with a 50x10mm fan at 1500rpm(makes no noise) added to the heatsink lowers load temps to 50c.

And as to why the old one instead of the new Plus version, if you are lucky you may find the old one for cheap. Shure the Plus comes with a couple more blocks and the water additive, but its possible that the old version would still end up cheaper even if you bought these afterwards.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:12 pm

awsome, thanks for the help guys :) i think i will go for the reserator1 with the GWB2 then, but im not sure if i should spend a bit more and also get the GWB1 for use on the chipset or if i should just get the NB47J with a low speed 40mm fan (this is for an nforce4 ultra MSI K8N Neo4 Plat)

the reason i want interested in the reserator1+ is simply price. here, numbers speak better than words.
Reserator1=$220
GWB2=$34
Water Additive=i dont know, but shouldnt be over $20
Total=~$275

Reserator1+ (inc GWB2 & water additive)=$339

so, for basically the same setup i can save at least $65 :) but if anyone can give me a reason why i should go for the + instead of the older model, please tell :)
also, if someone can recommend some common and good anti-corrosion & anti-bacterial addative?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:10 am

the reserator 1 is a fine machine.

and it looks sexy in blue :)

Just doesnt have the major feature of easy removing hoses. the compression fittings are damn annoying on the old res1.

my pump is silent at 1 meter.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:26 am

lol, yeah i didnt think there were many changes.

just one more quick question. since i will using just Aluminium and Gold throughout the entire system, is an anti-corrosion water additive actually needed (ive got some old fish tank anti-algea stuff, so thats not a problem)?

zds

Post by zds » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:35 am

since i will using just Aluminium and Gold throughout the entire system, is an anti-corrosion water additive actually needed
Corrosion can occur every time you mix different metals regardless of how pure they are, so I'd go for anti-corrosive additive.

PositiveSpin

Reserator 1 and 1plus

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:47 am

I have one of each, and I like them both (had the 1 for longer). Blue is nice, black is nice - I just don't like silver :D

After reading about the pumps, I used additive in the 1, and it's working fine. The additive I use was intended for a different brand, but it works fine (they all do the same thing, really). The additive that comes with the 1plus seems to work equally well. Try not to get it on your hands, and wash it off afterwards.

The quick disconnect on the 1plus pipes is VERY usfeul when moving or working on the machine - I just changed motherboards, and I probably leaked less than a teaspoonful in disconnecting. I'd recommend the 1plus for that feature alone.

I like the CPU waterblock - nice heavy chunk of copper, coated in gold to reduce corrosion. I haven't used the VGA waterblock (running Gigabyte passively cooled cards in the machine with the 1plus).

One small item to consider - some motherboards rely on the airflow from the CPU cooler to keep the surrounding components cool (eg: voltage regulators). Consider running a case fan, or something like that, to look after those.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:52 am

yeah ill definately keep one case fan at 5v exhausting from the case, this should be perfect with my mesh side panneled case.

so now im down to just two problems:

a) is it worth the extra $65 to get the + version with its easy disconnect valves? (if so, ill have to save up a lot yet as i dont have a job and am in school :( ) i prob wont be transporting my rig very often. i go to maybe 1 LAN per year (which is only 10min up the road, so i should be able to strap the case & reserator into the seat without disconnecting any pipes)

b) what kind of water additive can i use that would be in the local hardware shop? this would easily save precious $$$'s over a virtually identical and yet expensive additive specially designed for PC's

after all this is done, i think ill have to get onto my PSU and HDD's :(
-thanx for the tips guys, uve been awsome :D

zds

Post by zds » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:00 am

Machine with Reserator 1 can be pretty easily transported without disconnecting the hoses if you just take two persons to carry it, one for case and another for cooling tower. It's a bit awkward, but can be done, if you have to transfer your machine just few times a year.

I'd also guess that at some point some manufacturer will offer the easy valves as separate item, so you can add them later on.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:17 am

I bet the valves are off the shelf items you could get at any store that sells plumbing stuff.. Why would zalman bother designing new valves when they can use something that already exists?

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:08 am

nici wrote:I bet the valves are off the shelf items you could get at any store that sells plumbing stuff.. Why would zalman bother designing new valves when they can use something that already exists?
I was thinking the same thing and have been hoping someone would post a message saying that they found them for sale on some website.

I've seen some quick disconnect fittings at a couple of watercooling web stores, but they're not the type Zalman uses. It looks like they would be difficult to adapt for use with the Reserator.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:16 am

I suppose you could also fit a short tube on the reserator and put the valves on those. Should not be too hard to find valves of this type of the right diameter.. If i´ve understood correctly they work like the connectors on garden hoses, correct? Push the tubes together and it unlocks, unplug it and they lock. I personally wouldnt use garden-hose valves but even those should work if you are really desperate.. :lol:

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:17 am

Krazy Kommando - I've never used the Rocket but I've been very happy with my Reserator 1.

I used a water additive from the start and haven't had any pump problems with mine. My biggest complaint has been the lack of the quick disconnect fittings. Both of these problems are solved with the 1+.

Avoid the GWB1, it is crap. The GPU temperature on my video card went up about 8-10 degrees C when I switched to the GWB1 from the noisy stock heatsink. I have't used the GWB2 but it can't be as bad as the GWB1.

zds

Post by zds » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:20 pm

Avoid the GWB1, it is crap. The GPU temperature on my video card went up about 8-10 degrees C when I switched to the GWB1 from the noisy stock heatsink. I have't used the GWB2 but it can't be as bad as the GWB1.
However bad you call it, it does the job. I have never even powered on my X800 XT's stock cooler so I cannot compare to it but I have run my system through heavy all-day-and-night gaming sessions and never had GPU overheating problems.

If it doesn't overheat, temperature does not matter :-).

nici

Post by nici » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:45 pm

the GWB1 cools the GPU, it might not allow for insane overclocks or keep the temps super low but its definately more effective than most stock coolers. And its perfect for cooling chipsets :) So although its capable of cooling a gpu, i wouldnt recommend it for that seeing as theres much better alternatives available.

zds

Post by zds » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:08 pm

So although its capable of cooling a gpu, i wouldnt recommend it for that seeing as theres much better alternatives available.
Yeah, that's true. It definitely is one of the worst GPU blocks when it comes to cooling the GPU - but I gathered the original person was low on budget and GWB2 would cost him extra. So while it's not terrific, it might still be good enough for him. You can always swap it to chipset cooler when you have money for better GPU block.

And do not forget that we are dealing with compromises here - having more effective GPU block will add resistance and thus lower flow in circuit and make CPU run hotter. Especially with Reserator's pretty tiny pump that might not be something to overlook.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:56 pm

If he decides to go with the Reserator 1+, the GWB2 seems to be included with the package. At least it was at the sites I checked.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Krazy Kommando - I just noticed you said you were thinking about the original Reserator, not the 1+. Keep in mind that the 1+ includes the GWB2 and the Zalman additive.

The original Reserator 1 package does not include any GPU block or the necessary water additive.

Plus, from what I've read, the quick disconnect fittings on the 1+ are a big positive too.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Wow, I guess I should read the entire thread before posting a lot of redundant info!

KK - Are those US dollar prices you list in one of your follow-up posts?

If they are, then you need shop around some more. Newegg has the 1+ for $230 + $15 shipping. And there are probably cheaper places than that.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:17 pm

wow, so many replies! :D
-ok, i havent seen any quick disconnect fittings on any websites that would suit the reserator
-i think ive pretty much decided on the GWB2 for the GPU, although i might get the GWB1 (or zalmans newest chipset block) at a later stage for nforce4 cooling. in the mean time, ill use the 47J with low speed 40mm fan. that should be fine and wont add any strain to the system. also, im not even sure if ill be able to fit a water block on the chipset anyway coz its very close to the graphics card, in fact i think ill have to bend a few fins on the 47J
-all the prices in my previous post were in Aussie dollars. thats why its so expensive :P

if you guys think it would be well worth the extra to get the +1, then i think thats what ill do. keep in mind that ive never been involved with H2O cooling, so if the +1 makes my life easyer and less chance of stuffing something up (even if its just keeping the carpet clean 8) ) then ill have to get it. it also means i wont have to bother about searching for anti-corrosive stuff that would work with it as the +1 already comes with enough to fill the reserator once

5hocker

Post by 5hocker » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:20 am

On newegg the res 1+ is 229.49... The Reserator 1 is 199.99.

A simple google search will give you a product list of most reputable online stores. And unless you are into spending a little more to keep local companies in business... its hard to beat newegg.

Doh went thru the thread without reading it all :-O. As for colors... black goes with a lot of rooms a lot better than the blue :-P