Couple Questions

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

e v o

Couple Questions

Post by e v o » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:25 pm

Hi guys,

Was wondering how those who enclosed/muffled their pumps did it? I have a CSP-Mag and although it is very quiet, it is louder than i want.

Also when you need to replace a part, or you're upgrading, what is the best way to remove tubes, etc from an already setup wc system. Just be careful??

Thanks

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:18 pm

Yeah I agree that the CSP-MAG is loud unmuffled, maybe slightly louder than a Seasonic PSU on idle, but muffling makes a huge difference. I covered mine completely in 3/4 inch of dense clay, and then an inch of dense wood. You can also use uranium which works even better than wood. If done right, you shouldn't hear the pump at all even with your head right next to it.

You definately need to use quick-release interconnects or changing computer parts will be a huge pain. Interconnects can get expensive when you have a lot of them (like 4), but when going the watercooling route it's going to be expensive anyway. Without interconnects when you change parts you might do something stupid and cause a leak.

e v o

Post by e v o » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:15 pm

thanks for the info, do you have a link where i can buy interconnects and uranium?

thanks

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:23 am

I used to see some places that sell quick disconnects for cheap, but I no longer have the urls. The place I got mine from I can no longer find. This place sells them but it's a bit expensive!

http://www.xoxide.com/qudi.html

The uranium I got from ebay, so I couldn't be of much help there.

e v o

Post by e v o » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:46 am

what about clay, what would be a good kind. I don't want to buy some then have it melt in my case.

thanks again

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:55 am

cotdt wrote:The uranium I got from ebay, so I couldn't be of much help there.
I'm sorry but unless there's another obscure meaning to the word, I can't help thinking these references to uranium (highly radioactive, basis for nuke bombs, etc) have got to be some kind of inside joke. :shock: :lol: :roll:

Want to enlighten the rest of us?

zds

Post by zds » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:09 pm

MikeC wrote:
cotdt wrote:The uranium I got from ebay, so I couldn't be of much help there.
I'm sorry but unless there's another obscure meaning to the word, I can't help thinking these references to uranium (highly radioactive, basis for nuke bombs, etc) have got to be some kind of inside joke.
It might not be. Uranium should be pretty stable in the temperatures occurring inside regular PC case. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium):
Uranium metal has three allotropic forms:
* alpha (orthorhombic) stable up to 667.7 °C
* beta (tetragonal) stable from 667.7 °C to 774.8 °C
* gamma (body-centered cubic) from 774.8 °C to melting point - this is the most malleable and ductile state.
I take this to mean that in temperatures undes 667 °C uranium should not be radioactive. And if temps inside your PC case exceed 600 degrees, you have also certain other kinds of trouble, altough not so deadly.

Also:
* Its high atomic mass makes U-238 suitable for radiation shielding.
* Due to its high density, the element has found use in inertial guidance devices and in gyroscopic compasses; see uses of depleted uranium.
So if it's suitable for radiation shielding, it should not radiate too much :-).

e v o

Post by e v o » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:26 pm

Question for those with water cooling systems. cotdt answered, but i would like some others to say as well. When removing tubing or parts from a setup water cooling system, how do you all go about it without spilling water. Im going to have to do this soon, and am very worried

thanks

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:45 pm

Uranium may have some unique acoustic properties seeing as it's one of the most dense metals around. However as MikeC said it's radioactive, but not highly. I've held a large piece of uranium in my hand and have no ill effects. It will give you cancer if you're around it for many years, so I wouldn't build a case out of it, but it's nothing to get in a panic over.