Radiator noise

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

e v o

Radiator noise

Post by e v o » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 pm

Ok, so i finally got the noise level i wanted with my computer. The problem now is that the radiator (BiX) seems to be making a "sloshing" noise every few seconds. Now obviously it's the water in it, but it's sounds like almost water dripping into more water. I've checked for leaks (none) and the water level is fine in the resevoir.
It's not a very loud sound, but with an almost silent computer, you can definately hear it. From what i read about this before i bought, people thought it was overpriced for what it is, while you could buy a radiator (or heatercore) for much cheaper. The thing is that i need a pretty slim radiator/heatercore, and the heatercores ive seen are not slim (width wise), so they would not fit.

Can anyone think of what would be going on inside the radiator? I'm hoping it's air bubbles and itll sort itself out in a day or two.

I'm also wondering why a radiator like the thermochill he120.1 is so expensive compared to others. Is there really a big difference? Anyone with experience?

Thanks

Ben

olyar15

Post by olyar15 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:20 pm

Sounds like air in the radiator. Try turning the computer upside down, or at least shift it into different positions for a few seconds. You will probably hear a rush of air bubbles exit the radiator.

Cyco-Dude

Post by Cyco-Dude » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:48 am

you probably just need to bleed the system. you can try pinching the radiator inlet tube a few times, or as previously mentioned tilt the computer on one side or another (always make sure the pump is getting water, and not sucking in air from the res).

Marci

Post by Marci » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

I'm also wondering why a radiator like the thermochill he120.1 is so expensive compared to others.
Made in UK where labour cost is high and exchange rate works against us for exportation, as opposed to made in Phillipines or China where labour rate is ridiculously low and exchange rate works in their favour. Can't beat global economics *shrug*
Is there really a big difference? Anyone with experience?
HE series vs the rest - only if using fans at 130cfm or above.
PA series, beats all direct-competition by 5 to 40% depending on cfm. Lower the CFM (quieter the fan) the greater the percentage it beats competition by.