Suspending an L20 pump

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stigmata

Suspending an L20 pump

Post by stigmata » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:45 am

Hi all

I'm setting up a WC system with cpu wb, vga wb and a single-fan radiator with included reservoir. My pump is an L20, I'm sure you know this one.
It seems quite to me, but it vibrates too much for my tastes.

I was considering suspension to solve the problem, do you think it will work?
I have an Antec 3700BQE case without the 3,5" cage and without HD cage... it only has the 5,25" cage.
Any ideas on how to suspend the pump?

Thanks, ciao!
Francesco

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:40 am

I had almost the exact same setup at one point, even down to removing the HD cage!

I do know that pump well, and I also agree that it needed badly to be suspended. One thing I always thought I'd try (but never got around to) is buying several of those silicone keyboard wrist rests and placing it on them. I think the rests are quite cheap. You may want to try that.

I also found that if you suspend it from the hoses, it worked pretty good too. Does that make sense? Maybe if you wrapped the wrist rest around the output hose and then attached the wrist rest to the case (so nothing was actually touching the body of the pump) that might work pretty good.

In my system, I had the pump external to the case (as was the giant reservoir) so I had the space to prop it up on several pillows! :)

Hope my suggestions help, and good luck!

stigmata

Post by stigmata » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 am

Thanks for your reply, wussboy! :)

The wrist rest is a great idea, I'll try it as soon as I find those rests.

I was also thinking about placing the pump on this HD suspension device:

or something similar, do you think it can help?

Thanks, ciao!
Francesco

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:05 am

Yeah, that will probably work fine. However, I encourage you to consider suspending it by the output hose. I don't have my pump with me now, but I seem to recall that if the pump wasn't touching ANYTHING it became effectively silent. Play around with it yourself. Listen to what it sounds like when you dangle it by the output hose. If I'm right, it might be best to attach your suspension/silicon pads/elastic cords to that output hose. Hell, it can't vibrate anything if it isn't touching anything! :)

Good luck!

stigmata

Post by stigmata » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:20 am

wussboy wrote:Yeah, that will probably work fine. However, I encourage you to consider suspending it by the output hose. I don't have my pump with me now, but I seem to recall that if the pump wasn't touching ANYTHING it became effectively silent. Play around with it yourself. Listen to what it sounds like when you dangle it by the output hose. If I'm right, it might be best to attach your suspension/silicon pads/elastic cords to that output hose. Hell, it can't vibrate anything if it isn't touching anything! :)

Good luck!
This is a great truth :mrgreen:
I'll do some tests tonight, I want to find a suspension system that is eye-candy too, since my pc will have a window on the sidepanel...