closed water cooling with the silverstone GD05/06

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gelu88

closed water cooling with the silverstone GD05/06

Post by gelu88 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Hey, long time reader, though this is my first post.

i am about to build a system with the gd05, or perhaps the newly released gd06 (same internal volume)

i will not have a optical drive, which gives me much more room to work with. I intended to just use the stock cooler that comes with the Phenom X4 955

but i've noticed water systems like the Corsair H50, or the CoolIT Eco which is on special with the purchase of certain amd cpu's

my question is will the radiators/fans of coolers like this fit the side vents of the gd04/05/06? i've tried looking up dimensions and pictures, but cant conclude anything definitively.

thanks for any advice.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: closed water cooling with the silverstone GD05/06

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 am

It will not fit. The side fans come very close to the edge of any mATX mobo. Besides, those all-in-one WCs are not great for noise, you are better off with a good HSF. You can do much better than the stock HSF for both noise & cooling, tho. With the right HS (read -- big but short enough to fit in the case, and with widely spaced fins) you can run it w/ just the side case fans.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1033-page3.html

gelu88

Post by gelu88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am

Cool thanks, thats what i was fearing.

i figure i'll stick with the stock cooler for the initial build, then after i play around with overclocking and fan speeds and such i'll see where the temperatures are at.

thanks for looking at it.

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:36 am

I have preordered the H100. The new design (oem from cool it) works well with thin radiators and low powered fans. While not exactly silent, it should be still quiet. But of course I have a big case (the 800D) and i prefer to have 3db more rather than stressing 1kg on my mainboard.
Check some H60 reviews to see the numbers of what i mean.

katt

Post by katt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:51 pm

It will not fit. The side fans come very close to the edge of any mATX mobo. Besides, those all-in-one WCs are not great for noise, you are better off with a good HSF. You can do much better than the stock HSF for both noise & cooling, tho. With the right HS (read -- big but short enough to fit in the case, and with widely spaced fins) you can run it w/ just the side case fans.