Anyone built a silent Silverstone FT02 watercooled rig?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NetTechie

Anyone built a silent Silverstone FT02 watercooled rig?

Post by NetTechie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm

I've seen a lot of photos of people installing triple 180mm radiators in them at the bottom, with another 120mm radiator on the exhaust fan. Then installing a Koolance RP-452X2 bay reservoir with dual pumps mounted on it in serial for reliability. It looks like they use the variable speed PMP-450 pumps. I don't know though, if this is a noisy setup in reality.

I want to be able to cool my video card, so it isn't so noisy under load. I don't intend to overclock anything, though my processor runs fairly hot because it's an 8 core 4ghz AMD. I can cool the processor silently with a good heatsink, but that doesn't stop the video card noise.

Right now I have a self contained water cooler, the corsair H60 on my processor. The pump on it makes no noise that I can detect. However, it seems if you install a modular water cooler setup, that introduces a much more noisy pump operation.

Is it possible to make this case fairly silent water cooling it, considering it fits such a large radiator at the bottom? Any experience with this?

wibra

Re: Anyone built a silent Silverstone FT02 watercooled rig?

Post by wibra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:43 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but I see in fact a lot of mods using the magicool 540mm rad. just google "ft02 540 rad". No need then for an additional rad at the top, making for a simpler look.

I also came to SPCR in fact to get an answer to a similar question like you had.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:27 am

Most people here would probably avoid watercooling as he you have the inherent extra noise from the pump.

What graphics card do you have and how is it cooled? An aftermarket graphics cooler might be all that you'll need.

claes

Post by claes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:06 pm

What edh said is true - you can get the Raijntek Morpheus or MK-26 for your GPU to handle the noise and save a lot of time and money over watercooling.

That said, almost every modern watercooling pump will be quieter than the H60 you're using.