Watercooling in a FT05

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jonc

Watercooling in a FT05

Post by jonc » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm looking to build a new PC based around the Silverstone FT05 (noteable because of the 90 degree change in motherboard orientation), and am looking for some advice around whether or not it's worth going for an AIO solution for a heatsink in a FT05.

I'm planning to try and run two ASUS Strix 980s, a 5930 and other bits and pieces that probably matter less to this discussion. I have two choices for AIO, either a 120mm solution on the top (exhaust) or something a bit meatier at the bottom of the case.

My question is: How would having something like a NXZT x61 affect the thermal performance of the case with regard to the rest of my components (the graphics cards being the most obvious things that would suffer)? What kind of temps might you expect the air coming out of the radiator to be at?

In addition, I've heard/seen mentioned elsewhere that 120mm AIOs aren't really worth it. How might something like a x31 fare in the top/exhaust position?

Abula

Re: Watercooling in a FT05

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Personally i see the FT05 as a great air cooling case... that can even be used on a quiet build with the right components. But for water.... i think there are tons of better options out there. You could even go with R4, take the top moduvents off and place an AIO. Or even Phantek Pro is a pretty nice case that has a tons of options on the top. Either way for me the FT05 strength its 180mm fans, and its placement, so close to components.

jonc

Post by jonc » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:18 am

I think that may be the way I'm heading, just sticking to air cooling. Was interested in AIO, mainly as it's been a while since I built a PC so wanted to try out the latest trends. But as I want to keep things nice and quiet, might just stick to a reasonable heat-sink.

Unhedged

Post by Unhedged » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Contemplating how to build my new X99/Haswell-E system with a 5930K, I was considering going water cooling for the CPU since it's a 140W beast without even overclocking. I really love the way the FT05 is designed and I was considering maybe using a 360mm radiator mounted on top of the AP181s (probably upgraded to AP182s). Is that even possible, will it physically fit? or do you have to remove the Silverstone fans and install your own custom rad/fan combination?

Also, what do you think of the Swiftech H320 for such a use case? it seems very well regarded and it comes with a 360mm rad.

jonc

Post by jonc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 pm

The manual here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads ... Manual.pdf

Is quite good at talking about clearances etc.

Can't talk to the H320, ended up going for a prolimatech genesis with a couple of noctua fans for the CPU which fitted (just about!) and seems to be fine with the 5930 so far. And with some fan tuning is super quiet!

Unhedged

Post by Unhedged » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 am

So apparently the Swiftech H320 has been discontinued and the closest thing to it is the new EK XLC Predator 360 which looks pretty amazing on paper, since it's made out of high quality EK parts, but we'll have to wait for reviews to see how quiet it is in reality. In either case (no pun intended :)) I don't think the FT05 is a good fit for watercooling after doing research on the subject. The closest case that maintains the same aesthetic and subdued aluminum finish and is made for watercooling is the Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX, so that's on my consideration list now.