how quiet are water pumps[?]

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

how quiet are water pumps[?]

Post by dan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 pm

i'm asking as i have no experience but how quiet are water pumps in closed-loop sealed $100 newegg water kits.

what i am wondering is if this makes sense
buy a 65 tdp skylake cpu

then cool it with a standard sealed kit from newegg many to choose from

not use the fans to cool radiator but use the pump to pump the water. water passively cooled through radiator.

how much noise does the pump make? is it failure prone?

how would this compare with a massive heatpipe?

quest_for_silence

Re: how quiet are water pumps

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 am

dan wrote:how would this compare with a massive heatpipe?
It is not possible to run a closed loop kit without a fan.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:10 am

only a very small amount of SPCR'ers actually run water cooled rigs . if water were better, for silence, most of us would use it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 am

xan_user wrote:only a very small amount of SPCR'ers actually run water cooled rigs . if water were better, for silence, most of us would use it.
Personally, while i haven't tried to build a custom water loop, i do believe that there is a breaking point, where water will be quieter than air, but it will need to be a high end setup, like dual or triple GPU + 8 core X99, and the user wanting to overclock heavy, these are all things that most here will not peruse, that said i do think there is a breaking point where air will struggle and water will be a better choice noise wise, but for most of us here, that try to build quiet computers, air is superior than water.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:26 am

You could always build a custom loop and place the radiator far, far away from your ears :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 am

ive seen some passive radiators setups on the net, but they involve huge radiators, like out of a cadillac, custom waterblocks, huge plumbing, and use only moderately hot components. for decent results you really have to place the rad at least 2.5 feet above the block. some also put the rad outside the house, or in the garage. -not exactly AIO. :mrgreen:

HollyBoni

Post by HollyBoni » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:36 am

xan_user wrote:ive seen some passive radiators setups on the net, but they involve huge radiators, like out of a cadillac, custom waterblocks, huge plumbing, and use only moderately hot components. for decent results you really have to place the rad at least 2.5 feet above the block. some also put the rad outside the house, or in the garage. -not exactly AIO. :mrgreen:
Oh you're so wrong.

I have two Watercool mo-ra 2 external radiators, without fans.
I get insane temps compared to any active water or air cooling, it can handle well over 500w.
Yes the radiators are big, but they sit under my bed on legs I made in about 5 minutes, so they don't take up important space.
With quick disconnect fittings it's not impractical at all, NO you do not need custom waterblocks (why would you?) and no, plumbing is not huge, it's actually 2,3m long in my case, and it is VERY simple.

It's not even expensive if you buy used car radiators.

If you want ultimate performance and silence watercooling is the only way, and by watercooling I don't mean some crapy AIO.

If you don't have any personal experience with a setup like this, don't say things like they're facts. I hate that.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:36 pm

if the rads are big, that's kinda one of my main points. ( id consider your rad, 'cadillac' sized when comparing to AIO)
still, 500+ watts with no pump and no fans, we'd all love to see it!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 pm

xan_user wrote:with no pump and no fans
No pump? Are you kidding?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:21 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
xan_user wrote:with no pump and no fans
No pump? Are you kidding?
I stated passive H20 (no pump, no fan) was very difficult to attain. (ie size of rad, fittings, thermal stack ect...)
HollyBoni said I was "so wrong..."
Im trying to ascertain how HollyBoni's 500+watt rig is configured, so i can see where im "so wrong" about passive H20 cooling...

HollyBoni

Post by HollyBoni » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:51 pm

xan_user wrote:ive seen some passive radiators setups on the net, but they involve huge radiators, like out of a cadillac, custom waterblocks, huge plumbing, and use only moderately hot components. for decent results you really have to place the rad at least 2.5 feet above the block. some also put the rad outside the house, or in the garage. -not exactly AIO. :mrgreen:
You didn't say anything about no pump, you said passive radiators.

Of course I have a pump, jesus... I just have no fans. A good pump (Laing D5) is quieter than an HDD.
And if you want complete silence and insan performance, as you said just put the pump and the rads outside the room, and if you do that you can put massive fans on the rads since you won't here it anyway.
Building a good performing fanless (WITH PUMP) watercooling system with huge rads is not complicated or expensive. It'll perform MUCH better than any kind of passive air cooling that fits into a PC case.
I'm not even sure if you ever had any kind of watercooling.
Last edited by HollyBoni on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:11 am

xan_user wrote:I stated passive H20 (no pump, no fan) was very difficult to attain.

I don't think some form of fluid circulation can be omitted in any heating/cooling system, but if you're aware of such a system I'd be glad to know about.

baii

Post by baii » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:18 am

If you are moving the cooling out of the room, you may aswell move the whole rig out of the room.

Normal dp cable go up to 15ft (w.o mentioning fiber) vs 15 ft of water hose/tube, easy choice imo.

HollyBoni

Post by HollyBoni » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:45 am

baii wrote:If you are moving the cooling out of the room, you may aswell move the whole rig out of the room.

Normal dp cable go up to 15ft (w.o mentioning fiber) vs 15 ft of water hose/tube, easy choice imo.
I'm not going to put my PC outside. Also it's not easier. You need two long hoses, and that's it. You don't even need a monster pump, couple of guys did it already using DDC or D5 pumps. They have more than enough power.
Yes, Linus screwed up whole room watercooling, but this would be WAAAY easier.

Putting the whole PC in another room or outside is eaiser and cheaper if you're on air cooling, but right now I have pretty much everything to do it.

magu2k

Post by magu2k » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:45 pm

http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/ ... ump?c=6560
17,2 dB(A)

Are we seeing a new generation of watercooling gear?
I'm getting very interested in the idea of making my next build a watercooled one.
While we all have different interpretations and expectations of what silence means... this is quieter than most fans already.
And I am considering a build that will have fewer fans than I already do (a lot) If my watercooled idea (Which might not make sense, but I have to do a lot more research) I will be able to drop at least 2 fans from my current build.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 pm

magu2k wrote:http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/ ... ump?c=6560
17,2 dB(A)

Are we seeing a new generation of watercooling gear?

No, AFAIK it's a quite old product.

magu2k wrote:And I am considering a build that will have fewer fans than I already do (a lot) If my watercooled idea (Which might not make sense, but I have to do a lot more research) I will be able to drop at least 2 fans from my current build.
Watercooling is effective (noise wise) for high power draw systems (like Intel HEDT or AMD with similar thermal footprint) and/or high dumped heat rigs (like multi-GPUs ones), where air cooling strive to be really so (noise wise).
With just 1 ordinary CPU and 1 GPU, you can't beat "air" (you may tie? I dunno, I wasn't able to).

magu2k

Post by magu2k » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080 with just a few fans on it, think that could work?
I'm very interested in a larger external radiator or small size multi rad setup. But then, I imagine you need a higher volume pump for a loop like that?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:24 am

magu2k wrote:Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080 with just a few fans on it, think that could work?

No (you need to cool all the fins).

And broadly speaking Phobya has often lower quality than the best competition (Watercool), and less performance at low airflow: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... treme-1080

magu2k wrote:But then, I imagine you need a higher volume pump for a loop like that?

Likely no: and broadly speaking the waterblocks are the key factor, the more they are, the more restrictive the loop is, the higher the flow should be (BTW, a D5 is plenty for any typical rig, regardless the radiator size).

Fire-Flare

Re: how quiet are water pumps[?]

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Just going to toss in the fact that my PC is liquid-cooled and practically silent in its configuration.

With PWM you can have the fans and pump run just under their audible threshold and accelerate when more cooling is needed. (Never happens in my system)

The noisiest part of my system is the power supply, it's a shame I can't liquid-cool that too.