Fans on a P182

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnYaya

Fans on a P182

Post by JohnYaya » Fri May 30, 2008 4:24 am

I've read and read and read on this, and I just get confused.

For the following build:
P182
Intel E8400 (with a Thermalright Ultra-120 cooler)
EVGA 8800 GT (with Accellero cooler)

Let's assume no SLI, no overclocking, moderately intense gaming for a couple of hours at a time.

How many fans do I need, and where?

On a side note, with a gigabyte EP35-DSR3, what memory should I buy?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 am

Basicly you only need two fans in the case ( assuming accelero has no fan and runs passively):

1 exhausting (the back) and one front of the graphic's card ( in the upper HDD cage )
But if you want to play safe you can keep the top exhaust working aswell, in which case you only need 3 case fans.

Front intake is not necessary. And with Single HDD in bottom cage PSU is more than enough to keep them cool... aslong you will tape PSU barackets side holes, forcing air flow from front.

Any memory from Muskin, Kingston, Patriot, Crucial, Geil or Corsair will be enough. There isn't much difference in performance, just the looks and price. Best price is at 800 Mhz DDR2 / PC2-6400.

And I am sure it was EP35-DS3R ? ^^
Last edited by thejamppa on Fri May 30, 2008 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

cowsled

Post by cowsled » Fri May 30, 2008 8:54 am

Are the coolers on passive or are you adding fans to them?

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri May 30, 2008 9:25 am

I have the exact same setup, except an athlon X2 6400+. I found that the best for me so far has been to have 2 low rpm fans exhausting the rear and top, and another intake fan in front the HDD wind tunnel located right infront of the accelero. This is enough to run the accelero passively. I'd still keep a fan on the TRUE though.

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by amyhughes » Fri May 30, 2008 11:01 am

Just starting my P182 build and I have the following concerns...

1. There's no easy way to soft-mount the top fan (I had planned to use the top rather than block it).

2. There's no easy way to soft-mount a fan close to the graphics card.

How are people solving this, or does it make little difference?

JohnYaya

Post by JohnYaya » Fri May 30, 2008 11:23 am

thejamppa wrote:Basicly you only need two fans in the case ( assuming accelero has no fan and runs passively):

1 exhausting (the back) and one front of the graphic's card ( in the upper HDD cage )
But if you want to play safe you can keep the top exhaust working aswell, in which case you only need 3 case fans.

Front intake is not necessary. And with Single HDD in bottom cage PSU is more than enough to keep them cool... aslong you will tape PSU barackets side holes, forcing air flow from front.

Any memory from Muskin, Kingston, Patriot, Crucial, Geil or Corsair will be enough. There isn't much difference in performance, just the looks and price. Best price is at 800 Mhz DDR2 / PC2-6400.

And I am sure it was EP35-DS3R ? ^^
So I would have no fan on the video card, and no fan on the cpu cooler? That would be awesome,long as everybody stays cool enough. On the bottom cage, would a second hard drive require an additional fan, or is the PSU still enough?

Thanks!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri May 30, 2008 1:34 pm

Well... I did not quite meant you should run CPU passive. Adding 800 RPM scythe slipstream would give suffucient airflow without adding (much) noise. But E8400 is cool enough for passively cooled. Without OC.

PSU is enough for 1 HDD at least. When I had 2 HDD's in bottom case they ran quite warm in with PSU with fanswap but well within thershold.

JohnYaya

Post by JohnYaya » Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Excellent, so 3 fans total.

Thanks for the replies!