Getting a New system with an Antec P182

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MrMartin

Getting a New system with an Antec P182

Post by MrMartin » Tue May 27, 2008 5:11 am

hello all,

First of all /wave to all.
I have been reading this forum for quit some time now, and since today I have joined it.
It is amazing to see what people manage to do with their systems.

At the moment I am also planning on getting myself a new system.
I am still stuck at pentium 4 3,0 Ghz :)
Ok here it goes

Case Antec P182
PSU Enermax MODU82+ 525 Watt, 20+24 Pins, 80 Plus Rating
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6
CPU Intel Q9450
Memory OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 Mhz CL 7-7-7-24
HardDisk Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 Gig
VGA POV Geforce 9800 GTX EXO 512 MB
DVD Samsung SH-S203P

So far the basic setup

The cooling part:
CPU Cooler Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Aluminium
VGA Cooler Thermalright HR-03 GT Aluminium
Extra Scythe KamaBay Case Fan 120 Mm, Black 800 rpm
Fans Scythe SlipStream L 120 Mm, Black
And Arctic Silver 5

All this will be connected to my Samsung 226 BW monitor, running 1650 resolution.

So this will be nice I think, but here it goes:
- Can I use a Scythe slipstream fan also for the HR-03 GT, what rpm would be wise?

- Similar question for the CPU Cooler, is Scythe sufficient for this? I see a lot of persons using a Nexus for this, can I set them on the same level or is a Nexus a little better? What rpm is recommended? Running a 800 rpm seems a bit low, or am I wrong?

- Is the KamaBay overkill, and can I better do it away, because it will only produce more "noise" (an extra fan)

- Would it be wiser to have a Fan Controller unit, instead of a KamaBay, so I could take Scythe fans with higher rpm (1200?)

- Is the 9800 GTX "ok" or is it noise/heat/power wise not? Should I be aiming for a 8800GT or something instead?

- Would there be a "better" DVD burner available who also is quiet?

- Will the PSU be sufficient, or do I need more (or perhaps less?)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue May 27, 2008 5:34 am

Yes, scythe is sufficient unless you plan to do serious and HC overclocking.

Kamabay works also without fan. I have my P182 KamaBay adding more area for air to come filtered. Its nicely level with my Passive Ninja. You always can take 3,5" fan controller in P182, like I have. Then you can keep kamabay and optical and have fan controller. Scythe has 3,5" KamaMaster panel and Akas has FanController JR.

9800 GTX is probably fine choice but its not that much different with 8800 GTS. I'd personally would take 8800 GT as it now has best price/performance currently on market.

There are no quiet burners. However I find my Smasung WriteMaster tad Quieter than LG's same. I have samsung on my primary machine and lg on my game rig.

Now just a question: Do you really need that high level motherboard and DDR3? I mean its never wise to build your system for future but you should build your system for current needs. However if you want to be DDR3 ready, I suggest you check P35 or newer P45 boards that have slots for DDR2 and DDR3. Get DDR2 for now and if you later feel you need more then get DDR3.

DDR3 costs arm and leg...

MrMartin

Post by MrMartin » Tue May 27, 2008 5:58 am

thanks for the advise

in my opinion your motherboard is the base of your complete system.
I always aim for a nice one. I probably could do with a little less, but it is more like a "feeling"?

it is hard to explain. I always were a huge fan of ASUS motherboards, but this GigaByte board, took my attention away.
My first goal was to aim for DDR2 memory and this is still within my head. But DDR3 seems to be the future, and it is doable with my budget :)

If we don't look too much at the money aspect, what else could I better pay attention to?

Questions
- Should the KamaBay be in the top 3 brackets , and the DVD burner at the lowest one? Or can the DVD burner be in the top?

- why would I take out the fan of the KamaBay? Isn't the extra air input needed in some way?

- Should the default KamaBay fan be replaced with a slipstream, or is the fan already ok?!

- isn't the 9800GTX more efficient with power and heat then the 8800 GTS and 8800 GT, or am I mistaken?

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 am

MrMartin wrote: - isn't the 9800GTX more efficient with power and heat then the 8800 GTS and 8800 GT, or am I mistaken?
In theory, it may be. However, the absolute heat dissipation requirements make it virtually impossible to properly cool this GPU with a quiet solution (bar water cooling). The 8800GT, on the other hand, can be equipped with an Accelero S1 heatsink, and with good airflow in the case, won't even need its own fan. It will still provide good game performance, albeit not as great as the 9800GTX. It's basically down to very powerful versus very quiet.

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 am

Overall a nice high-end gaming machine.
MrMartin wrote:in my opinion your motherboard is the base of your complete system.
I always aim for a nice one. I probably could do with a little less, but it is more like a "feeling"?
it is hard to explain... DDR3 seems to be the future, and it is doable with my budget :)
Well, your choice if you're willing to pay for the "feeling".
MrMartin wrote: - why would I take out the fan of the KamaBay? Isn't the extra air input needed in some way?
Intake fans don't do much, what's really needed is more intake are to ease the exhaust fans' job.
MrMartin wrote: - Should the default KamaBay fan be replaced with a slipstream, or is the fan already ok?!
If you're keeping it, it is a 800rpm fan similar to an S-Flex.
MrMartin wrote: - isn't the 9800GTX more efficient with power and heat then the 8800 GTS and 8800 GT, or am I mistaken?//
- Can I use a Scythe slipstream fan also for the HR-03 GT, what rpm would be wise?
Don't know about efficient, but definitely hotter. However, if you replace the stock cooling, you're probably sticking a 800rpm fan onto it anyway.
For price/performance and still high end, I'd recommend 8800GTS512.
- Similar question for the CPU Cooler, is Scythe sufficient for this? I see a lot of persons using a Nexus for this, can I set them on the same level or is a Nexus a little better? What rpm is recommended? Running a 800 rpm seems a bit low, or am I wrong?
They're similar. 800rpm is OK if you have two exhaust fans nearby. You can get 1200rpm if you want to be on the safe side and/or if you will use BIOS fan speed control or SpeedFan.
- Will the PSU be sufficient, or do I need more (or perhaps less?)
It will, but for me Modu82+ 625 W seems a better investment than X48/DDR3-1600, even if it's "for the feeling" too.

MrMartin

Post by MrMartin » Tue May 27, 2008 7:29 am

I also read about people who seal of the top for better air flow.
Is this better, or should I keep the top and put an fan in it (800rpm)

I also found this info about a 9800 GTX with the HR-03GT
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... ew-19.html

What do you guys think, are those great temps?

Or will a 8800 GT/GTS with Accelero be better?

How will gaming be with an Accelero.
Many diehard games, who I speak are saying that you NEVER should make you GPU passive.
But at the other hand I don't want to hear it (be bothered with it)

I don't have to play Crysis, but I would like to play "Assassins Greed" or "Age of Conan" in decent DX10 performance.
Whould that be doable?

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Tue May 27, 2008 10:41 am

MrMartin wrote:I also read about people who seal of the top for better air flow.
Is this better, or should I keep the top and put an fan in it (800rpm)
Since your video card cooler won't exhaust hot air, you'll need to move some more air. For this, two slower fans are better. I have a dualcore, 8800GT, 2x800rpm fans and during gaming the exhausted air feels quite warm.
MrMartin wrote:I also found this info about a 9800 GTX with the HR-03GT
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... ew-19.html
What do you guys think, are those great temps?
50 degrees is very cool for a GPU! Anyway, you don't need to get even remotely concerned unless the temperatures are higher than with stock cooling.
How will gaming be with an Accelero.
1) Does the Accelero not fit on a 9800GTX?
2) You can tie a 120mm fan to the Accelero, too. Although I think it does not make full use of medium/high airflow.
Many diehard games, who I speak are saying that you NEVER should make you GPU passive.
That's just prejudice :). You can have passive CPUs and GPUs with some thinking. Seen these photos around of VIA CPUs, older mainboards, low-end GPUs with fans attached? Yeah, right, a small heatsink with a screamer fan is easier and cheaper than a carefully-managed passive heatpipe monster.
But at the other hand I don't want to hear it (be bothered with it)
You won't hear it from deep inside the case over the exhaust fans or things like Kama Bay. Assuming its fan is at equal or slower speed.
I don't have to play Crysis, but I would like to play "Assassins Greed" or "Age of Conan" in decent DX10 performance.
Whould that be doable?
NVidia hasn't released a noticeably faster GPU since 2006 (8800GTX). 9800GTX and 8800GTS512 speed difference is close to negligible, 8800GT is somewhat slower but quite close to them. Plus, most games are now multi-platform.
As a result, for most games a nearly-midrange 8800GT will be enough for 2-3 years. For some you'll need a new high-end card that does not yet exist.
Assassin's Creed is in the first category, Crysis is in the second.

MrMartin

Post by MrMartin » Tue May 27, 2008 11:13 am

Thnx Elvellon

So a 8800 GT will do the trick nicely.
A 8800 GTS is better, but will cost more and will become hotter, right?
However both can have an Accellero on it, so then a GTS should also be valid right.

How would 8800GT with Accellero scale to a 9600 GT from Gigabye (passive standard)?

Both will be nice and excellent, but how will they perform "passively" in games?

Shadout

Post by Shadout » Sat May 31, 2008 10:14 am

Going for a build soon (I hope, "soon" has been slipping away for quite a while now :D), which looks a bit like this, so got a few comments.

I agree with you about the moherboard, its nice to know it is quality, and at least where I live, the price difference between a good X48 motherboard (like the Gigabyte) and a similar P35 isnt that much.

I also considered DDR3 for quite a while, but I pretty much decided its still too expensive.

The Gigabyte X448-DQ6 and a pair of OCZ DDR2's should still be able to do fine for quite a while. Until some future Nehalem upgrade at least, and who knows if current DDR3 will even be worth using then.

For fans, I think I'll go for Slipstream 1200 RPM, with a Fan mate connected to each of them, just for the extra headroom it gives, if I for some reason should want to turn the speed up a bit.
Can't seem to find a decent front Fan controller so while Fan Mates are a bit inconvenient, it seems to be best solution (not very fond of software controlling them either).

For the GPU, personally I'm waiting till 18/6 to see what both Nvidia and AMD comes up with.
If rumors are true, even the mid-end cards released there might perform pretty good.
Its hard to tell yet if any existing coolers will be mountable on them, but I guess so. And whether or not any of them can be passively cooled.
Thats if you can wait buying your new pc, otherwise, I agree 8800GT is probably, fine, although it will hardly run upcoming games on max settings.
Last edited by Shadout on Sat May 31, 2008 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shadout

Post by Shadout » Sat May 31, 2008 10:52 am

double post...