New Computer - Would Like to Hear Your Review

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ido

New Computer - Would Like to Hear Your Review

Post by ido » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:42 am

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about buying a computer during the last winter, but I had to postpone it. I'm intending to buy a new computer in about a week or so. It will be running Arch Linux and won't perform any heavy tasks such as gaming or photo editing.

Here's the spec:
----------------------
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
AMD Athlon 4850e
Thermalright HR-01 Plus (Passive)
Arctic Silver 5
Kingston 800Mhz 1GB
Kingston 800Mhz 1GB
S-Flex SFF21E 120mm 1200RPM (Rear exhaust fan)
Kama Flex 92mm (Front intake fan)
Zalman FanMate 2
Zalman FanMate 2
Samsung 640GB HD642JJ
Antec SOLO
Enermax Modu82+ 425W
ASUS VW222U
Samsung DVR-S223F

Some doubts I have:
----------------------
1. Do you think I need to invest in a better memory brand? The shop has Crosair and G.Skill, but they didn't appear in the QVL memory list, unlike the Kingston that I chose.
2. I chose the Kama Flex since I couldn't find any fan from the recommended fans list. How is the one I chose? Do you think it will make much noise? I intend to undervolt it with the FanMate.
3. How's the hard disk? I couldn't find much input, but I saw alot of other Samsung's in the recommended list.
4. I chose the Enermax PSU over the Crosair VX450 thanks to the review of the 525W model. Do you think I should go with the Crosair? I've noticed that some people got bad samples.

Thanks in advance, Ido.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:26 am

What does the new machine need to do, that the old machine couldn't do? Since you say it doesn't need to perform any heavy tasks, and it's probably not your first computer, how can you specify any parts for the machine without this information?

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:07 am

1. Kingston RAM is fine. Its all the same stuff anyway. 800mhz Kingston RAM will run basically identical to crucial 800mhz RAM.
2. The S-FLEX is a very good fan. Not the best, but you wont be dissapointed.
3. Its a highly recommended drive, although i favour the WD 640GB blue. Although we're talking a few percent either way in most tests, id still go for WD right now. I have 3 of them and they are basically the perfect blend of performance, capacity, sound and price.
4. I own the 425 mod82 and its very good and more than capable for your system. However they tend to be more expensive than its quiet rivals, so dont go spending huge amounts on it. Personally i would seriously look at going for something like the picoPSU's or a low (<250w) passive PSU.

Other comments:
I dont think you will need any intake fan. Your system is unlikely to ever pull more than 100w if your using the integrated graphics.
One exhaust (at min fanmate voltage) + your PSU fan will be more than enough. Leave the filter on the intake to keep things dust free and it'll be that little bit quieter.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:43 am

Do you want endurance and durability in your system? This only further emphasizes the need for a reliable power supply. I've worked for Apple in the past and have very often seen entire macs being sent in for basically replacement because the psu failed and took out every other part connected. Definately do not skimp on the psu. I'm not sure how reliable the pico psu is but I personally would only use it if you are an enthusiast. With that said, Corsair psu's have a very good warranty. Probably a better choice for durability.

ido

Post by ido » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:16 pm

I need a replacement for my existing computer since it's very old (6 years already) and only partially works. I think I can managed with a lower spec computer, but this one also fits my budget.

Are you sure only one fan (in addtion to the PSU fan) will do? I'm afraid the system will get too hot.

What about the PSU? Any reason to go with the Corsair instead of the Enermax?

Thanks for the fast replys.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Corsair has 5 year warranty and Crosair warranty services have been good.