Home server -- how do you cool a 100% pegged CPU?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bean1975

Home server -- how do you cool a 100% pegged CPU?

Post by bean1975 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:54 pm

This thing will sit in a closet like this http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7717/closeti.jpg -- so not much in terms of noise insulation but still, some. Also, it will sit on a cork floor. I bet that helps :)

The server needs to do two things: serve data off disks and crunch tests. I already have two 1.5TB (5400RPM) Samsungs, an 500GB WD (alas 7200RPM), and a number of 2.5" disks (one 500GB, one 320GB and a number of 100-120GB ones). My tests are eating CPU and not much else.

Edit: I decided on the Antec Solo because of the built suspension for the 3.5" disks. The 2.5" disks can go into Scythe Bay Rafters (three 2.5" per one 5.25" bay and it costs pennies).

Edit: I picked the AMD Athlon X4 605e with an ECS Black Series A785GM-M MB.

But, cooler. Is a Geminii overkill? Would it fit the case? I mean, the CPU is supposed to be 45W but it will pegged at 100%, pretty much all the time. Or a Geminii S is enough? Or some other cooler would be better? The price of the Geminii coolers are nice.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 pm

The Geminii S is a good cooler. It will fit almost anywhere and is about as good at the Noctua downdraft. At lower speeds it is about as quient as the Noctua is at lower speeds.

What is nice about the Geminii is that it has a rack you can use to replace the 120mm fan with two 80MM or 92mm fans - to cool motherboard components.

Which a few strategic holes drilled into the brackets you could modify it so you could mount the new 180mm Silverstone fan (along with its 180mm filter) on it to cool the whole stinkin board.

Sooner or latter I am going to try that with my Geminii. I just need to find the right case and situation to do that.