Seeking quieter 120x120x25mm fan for cpu cooler

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

joeythebull

Seeking quieter 120x120x25mm fan for cpu cooler

Post by joeythebull » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:10 am

Hi, I just build a new PC designed for gaming as well as general application.

CPU: AMD Ryzen7 7800
GPU: RTX 4070 Ti

I expect fan noise to get louder during gaming and I'm certainly not looking for a perfectly silent PC, but I'm getting too much noise from my CPU cooler starting at just over 700rpms. I think the fans may be the problem either just because they are low quality or because one of them actually is flawed. It runs two 120x120x25mm PWN fans.

my CPU cooler: Thermalright PS120SE CPU Air Cooler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNH ... =UTF8&th=1

fan description used by cooler
【PWM Fan】 TL-C12B V2; Standard size industrial grade PWM performance PC fan: 120x120x25mm (4.92x4.92x0.98 inches); Fan speed (RPM): 1500rpm±10%; Power port: 4-pin; Voltage: 12V; Air flow: 66.17CFM (max); Noise level ≤25.6dB(A), high performance fan combined with efficient heat dissipation The cooling body of the unit gives you the best cooling effect.

I checked the fan article here at SPCR, but it's too old (2015).

Anyway, could someone please give me a recommendation for a 120x120x25 fan that will match the performance of the fan described just above? Could I maybe get a "Best" recommendation along with a "best bang for buck". The cooler was only $36, so maybe also a recommendation for an alternative cooler? Most important to me is keeping things cool. Noise factor is only a secondary consideration, so I won't be interested in replacement fans or cooler that can't handle my gaming rig.

Thanks!

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Seeking quieter 120x120x25mm fan for cpu cooler

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:18 pm

Isn't still possible to return this cooler? Buying the cooler to replace it's fans is just bad. Especially given that "bang for buck" fans are not best in terms of acoustics and durability. If I were you, I would return this cooler or buy just one Noctua NF-A12x25 to run it between towers. They are overally the best in x25mm category, but they cost and secound fan won't make much difference.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 am

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:18 pm
Isn't still possible to return this cooler? Buying the cooler to replace it's fans is just bad. Especially given that "bang for buck" fans are not best in terms of acoustics and durability. If I were you, I would return this cooler or buy just one Noctua NF-A12x25 to run it between towers. They are overally the best in x25mm category, but they cost and secound fan won't make much difference.
Sorry for the confusion. My plan is to keep the cooler and replace the fans, not buy another cooler to get the fans. Since my OP I've actually had some luck just moving the fan a little so it's not so inline with the other fan. This seems to reduce the noise. My issues was less about loudness and more about the nature of noise which seems be created in some sort of conjunction with the other fan.

Anyway, thanks for the fan recommendation. That one fan is the same price as the whole cooler, and the cooler had two fans. Good to know what my best option is for fan.

Thanks

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:34 pm

joeythebull wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 am
Sorry for the confusion. My plan is to keep the cooler and replace the fans, not buy another cooler to get the fans. Since my OP I've actually had some luck just moving the fan a little so it's not so inline with the other fan. This seems to reduce the noise. My issues was less about loudness and more about the nature of noise which seems be created in some sort of conjunction with the other fan.

Anyway, thanks for the fan recommendation. That one fan is the same price as the whole cooler, and the cooler had two fans. Good to know what my best option is for fan.

Thanks
I asked you if you can return this cooler, because your plan of keeping it doesn't make sense ;) If problem here is both fans being inline, just remove the front fan, because it doesn't do much.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:55 am

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:34 pm
joeythebull wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 am

Thanks
I asked you if you can return this cooler, because your plan of keeping it doesn't make sense ;) If problem here is both fans being inline, just remove the front fan, because it doesn't do much.

I don't understand WHY you say keeping the cooler doesn't make sense as you haven't explained. It was never my intention to "buy the cooler to replace it's fans".

Regardless, I seem to have found a solution which is to simply adjust the front intake fan. I do think it was more a problem of them being inline.

Thank you for your time and recommendation!

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:40 am

joeythebull wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:55 am
I don't understand WHY you say keeping the cooler doesn't make sense as you haven't explained. It was never my intention to "buy the cooler to replace it's fans".

Regardless, I seem to have found a solution which is to simply adjust the front intake fan. I do think it was more a problem of them being inline.

Thank you for your time and recommendation!
So now from me sorry for confusion, because I just assumed it as obvious: keeping problematic cooler doesn't make sense, because for the price of this cooler and two decent replacement fans you would get just better and higher quality cooler with no need of such tweaks. Great to hear that you solved your issue. Probably you're right with placement of the fans, but I would additionally check this cooler's whole range of speed to see if there are no irritating noises for sure.

joeythebull

Post by joeythebull » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:27 pm

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:40 am

So now from me sorry for confusion, because I just assumed it as obvious: keeping problematic cooler doesn't make sense, because for the price of this cooler and two decent replacement fans you would get just better and higher quality cooler with no need of such tweaks. Great to hear that you solved your issue. Probably you're right with placement of the fans, but I would additionally check this cooler's whole range of speed to see if there are no irritating noises for sure.
Well, I'm in a good place now, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again Japanese Capacitor! Consider this issue closed.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:57 am

Great to hear!