My New AMD 64 DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) [2nd Phase]

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dmce

Post by dmce » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:46 am

Regarding the jumpers, i was thinking this was due to it being a test board as well(hopefully).

Seems mid/late Jan looks likely. Probably Feb in UK. At least i now have a target.

Bit off topic so sorry.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:50 am

Anybody also notice the price? $299 !!!!!!!! They gotta be kiddin'

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:56 am

The other SLI boards are not much cheaper (just look at the ASUStek model)...

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:32 pm

NamJangNamJa I meant, can I fit an XP-120 on a motherboard (like the Asus SLI or the DFI SLI) in the ECE4252 with clearance from the back fan, the CPU vent, and the power supply. Thanks for clearing up the hd cages.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:34 pm

That depends on the mainboard you pick; it might fit with certain boards, but it won't fit on certain other boards.

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:16 pm

burcakb wrote:Anybody also notice the price? $299 !!!!!!!! They gotta be kiddin'
You gotta see the first review on this link.

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:57 am

I am almost done with my research. Spec has been changed a lot. Any input will be very appreciated.

----------------------------------

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester (90nm)

This is the best performance/heat processor, today. But It is not a processor with good performance/price against Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle (130nm) which is almost $100 cheaper than Winchester 3500+.

Thermalright XP90 + Nexus Real Silent Fan 92mm + Zalman Fan Mate 2

Is there any functional difference between Zalman Fan Mate 1 and Fan Mate 2? I wonder if I need a Fan Mate for the CPU heatsink. Isn't the motherboard supposed to be able to control the voltage? Also, how about XP120 with Nexus Real Silent Fan 120mm, is it going to be quieter than XP90?

PDP Systems 1GB(512MBx2) PC3200 2-3-2-5-T1

Tight latency with a good price. I'll buy 1 pair and if it works, I will buy another pair.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe + Zalman ZM-NB47J

I know it is very overpriced. But I will still buy ASUS A8N-SLI and replace the chipset fan with Zalman ZM-NB47J. I don't think the chipset will be overheated with the Zalman because there are some nForce4 motherboard examples(1, 2) which come with no chipset fan. The reason I am buying this motherboard is that: 1. On this motherboard, the main PCI-E slot for a video card is next to CPU, therefore there is only one slot ajecent to the main PCI-E slot. The other nForce4 board's PCI-E slots are located between other slots. It benefits me in two ways. I will be put a huge fanless cooler on my video card, so it will not be able to use ajecent slots. By using this mainboard, I can save one slots from being unabled because two slots will be unusable if I use other nForce4 mainboards. It may help cooling the video card because the video card will be placed near the exhaust vent, or probably not. 2. It supports Raid 5. 3. It has IEEE1394 Ports. I would have rather bought Chaintech VNF4 if VNF4 had 1394. 4. The direction of the fins of XP90 and memories is not against the air flow on this mainboard.

Apollo nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB + AeroCool Fanless VGA Cooler 101

I am not 100% sure this fanless cooler will work on 6600GT.

NEC 16x Double Layer DVD±RW ND-3500A and Seagate 7200.8 300GB SATA NCQ x2

Quiet DVD±RW and supposed-to-be-quiet hard drives.

Seasonic Super Silencer 460W + Vantec PSU Vibration Damper

I really wanted to buy Antec Phantom, but after fair amount of consideration, I decide to buy Super Silencer for better air flow, and more power.

Antec SLK3000B + AcoustiPack

I don't like the style of this case, but I cannot find any case with better interior than Antec. I will apply AcoustiPack in the places the foams don't block the air flow. I will also block side vents.

Nexus Real Silent Fan 120mm x2 + Fan Isolators x2 + Zalman Fan Mate 2 x2

Silent case fans.

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer v4.0
PSK-5000H Keyboard

Not much typing and clicking noise.

Cable Management
Cable Tie + Cable Tie Mounts from Local Store
Vantec Cable Sleeving Kit x2
Vantec Molex Conntector Kit

I also need tape for cable management. What kind of tape do you guys recommend?

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:15 am

NamJangNamJa the Super Silencer includes pretty good cabling system, so I would wait and see if that's good enough or not (mine worked well enough). (By the way, XP-120 fits on the ASUS, DUH! me) I've got almost all the parts for my brother's build, and I'm starting my own (which looks a lot like yours). I too am seriously considering the Antec 3000B, unless somehow the optional rubber grommeted cages in the ECE4252 are really cheap and I can find a supplier to buy it from. I emailed Arctic Cooling, and they're promising a NV Silencer for the 6600's in february if your willing to wait.

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:42 am

/.,, thanks for the information about XP120, and advice on the PSU.
slashdotcomma wrote:I too am seriously considering the Antec 3000B, unless somehow the optional rubber grommeted cages in the ECE4252 are really cheap and I can find a supplier to buy it from.
You can contact Evercase. I think they sell various optional parts for ECE4252.
You can buy rubber grommets from McMaster. Go to the website and simply type 9311K138 or 9311K139 and hit the find button.

dmce

Post by dmce » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:07 am

burcakb wrote:Anybody also notice the price? $299 !!!!!!!! They gotta be kiddin'
Would this not be more of a lets get it on our site but we dont actually know much about it spec/price wise.

dmce

Post by dmce » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:12 am

NamJangNamJa

Seems that keyboard is available in a black/metallic colour as well

http://store.greenlaptop.com/psusbulslkew.html
http://www.costar.com.tw/product/keyboa ... k5000H.htm

I looks like a sweet keyboard. Seems to be no joy for it in the UK though.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:41 pm

NamJangNamJa wrote:I am almost done with my research. Spec has been changed a lot. Any input will be very appreciated.

----------------------------------

This is the best performance/heat processor, today. But It is not a processor with good performance/price against Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle (130nm) which is almost $100 cheaper than Winchester 3500+.
I like NewCastle; I don't think the difference in heat output is that dramatic as to be worth $100 more for Winchester. It's a shame ClawHammer for S939 is so expensive!

NamJangNamJa wrote:Thermalright XP90 + Nexus Real Silent Fan 92mm + Zalman Fan Mate 2

Is there any functional difference between Zalman Fan Mate 1 and Fan Mate 2? I wonder if I need a Fan Mate for the CPU heatsink. Isn't the motherboard supposed to be able to control the voltage? Also, how about XP120 with Nexus Real Silent Fan 120mm, is it going to be quieter than XP90?
Seems the FanMate II has a bit of a better design to accomodate powering the fan with molex while providing a speed signal to the mainboard. I would definitely wager XP-120 would be quieter than XP-90. Considering you're going with SLK3000-B, I actually think XP-120 will work fanlessly as long as you run that K8 at 2.2GHz or lower and 1.375 Volts or lower (depending on speed and core's undervoltability). XP-90 would be difficult to pull this off with. A few other users have also reported good results from lapping their XP-120s, something I haven't tried and since my temps are pretty good even without a fan on it, I don't feel a need to dismount the cooler and lap it at this time.

NamJangNamJa wrote:PDP Systems 1GB(512MBx2) PC3200 2-3-2-5-T1

Tight latency with a good price. I'll buy 1 pair and if it works, I will buy another pair.
Looks good; how much does PQI3200-1024DBU compare in cost? I have that kit in my water cooled K8 rig and love it; should get close to 10-3-2 2.5 1T at HTT275 on your ASUStek with the PQI, if I guesstimate correctly.

NamJangNamJa wrote:Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe + Zalman ZM-NB47J

I know it is very overpriced. But I will still buy ASUS A8N-SLI and replace the chipset fan with Zalman ZM-NB47J. I don't think the chipset will be overheated with the Zalman because there are some nForce4 motherboard examples(1, 2) which come with no chipset fan. The reason I am buying this motherboard is that: 1. On this motherboard, the main PCI-E slot for a video card is next to CPU, therefore there is only one slot ajecent to the main PCI-E slot. The other nForce4 board's PCI-E slots are located between other slots. It benefits me in two ways. I will be put a huge fanless cooler on my video card, so it will not be able to use ajecent slots. By using this mainboard, I can save one slots from being unabled because two slots will be unusable if I use other nForce4 mainboards. It may help cooling the video card because the video card will be placed near the exhaust vent, or probably not. 2. It supports Raid 5. 3. It has IEEE1394 Ports. I would have rather bought Chaintech VNF4 if VNF4 had 1394. 4. The direction of the fins of XP90 and memories is not against the air flow on this mainboard.
Holy mother of expensive mainboards, Batman! But it is nice; I'm waiting for the DFI nF4, though.

NamJangNamJa wrote:Apollo nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB + AeroCool Fanless VGA Cooler 101

I am not 100% sure this fanless cooler will work on 6600GT.
If the holes are in the same pattern as on my MSi NX6600-VTD128, it's going to be one really tight fit, but it does work. Hopefully, the holes are in a different (better!) position, though.

NamJangNamJa wrote:NEC 16x Double Layer DVD±RW ND-3500A and Seagate 7200.8 300GB SATA NCQ x2

Quiet DVD±RW and supposed-to-be-quiet hard drives.
NEC looks good; let us know how those monster Seagates turn out, please!

NamJangNamJa wrote:Seasonic Super Silencer 460W + Vantec PSU Vibration Damper

I really wanted to buy Antec Phantom, but after fair amount of consideration, I decide to buy Super Silencer for better air flow, and more power.
I don't know if it's really worth the money to buy that PSU dampening kit; I have one and it did nothing to dampen an Antec SL380S.

NamJangNamJa wrote:Antec SLK3000B + AcoustiPack

I don't like the style of this case, but I cannot find any case with better interior than Antec. I will apply AcoustiPack in the places the foams don't block the air flow. I will also block side vents.
Assemble and test the machine acoustics before spending the $$$ on AcoustiPack; you may not need it, and it's far from cheap. Since both side panels come off on SLK3000-B, anyway, it won't be significantly more difficult to AcoustiPack the case later on.

NamJangNamJa wrote:Nexus Real Silent Fan 120mm x2 + Fan Isolators x2 + Zalman Fan Mate 2 x2

Silent case fans.
Goooooooooood...

-Ed

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:53 pm

I don't think the difference in heat output is that dramatic
It is. At 2.2GHz clock speed a Winchester drew <110W AC; Clawhammer at same speed in same system drew >150W AC. Whether you want to pay for that difference is another thing. I'd personally go for a slower cheaper Winchester and OC it if needed.
FanMate II has a bit of a better design to accomodate powering the fan with molex
Nope -- It just has a long lead that lets you position the fanmate outside the case where the control can be more easily accessed. Still feeds off 3-pin header.
I would definitely wager XP-120 would be quieter than XP-90.
This totally depends on the fan used with either and the speed you run the fan. Quiet 120mm fans are more plentiful than 92mm fans though. OTOH, the XP90 is an easier fit in most systems.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:02 pm

MikeC wrote:
I don't think the difference in heat output is that dramatic
It is. At 2.2GHz clock speed a Winchester drew <110W AC; Clawhammer at same speed in same system drew >150W AC. Whether you want to pay for that difference is another thing. I'd personally go for a slower cheaper Winchester and OC it if needed.
I wonder where NewCastle slots in compared to those two at 2.2; what voltage(s) was(ere) that(ose) at, stock? I like the performance benefit from the extra cache on ClawHammer and you can buy ClawHammer for S754 decently cheap, unlike S939. Realistically, I'd go NewCastle for sure on S939 though, factoring in both, price and power. I'm surprised to see such a gigantic difference in power draw with CH vs. Winchester, and am curious as to if NewCastle is closer to Winchester, or closer to CH; many of the initial heat and power comparisons had a very difficult time deciphering which was cooler, Winchester or the original 13nanometer K8s, but I don't recall if they did any tests against ClawHammer; I think it was just against NewCastle, since it would be fairer (in terms of cache, and cache does use power, too)...
MikeC wrote:
FanMate II has a bit of a better design to accomodate powering the fan with molex
Nope -- It just has a long lead that lets you position the fanmate outside the case where the control can be more easily accessed. Still feeds off 3-pin header.
"Pwned." :oops:
MikeC wrote:
I would definitely wager XP-120 would be quieter than XP-90.
This totally depends on the fan used with either and the speed you run the fan. Quiet 120mm fans are more plentiful than 92mm fans though. OTOH, the XP90 is an easier fit in most systems.
Well, supposedly, the XP-120 does fit the ASUStek SLI board he picked, although I didn't personally check it if fits inside the 3000-B that way. And he did pick Nexus 120 for it.

-Ed

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:16 am

Seagate 7200.8 doesn't seem to be a good choice.
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.p ... =2&t=18215

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:27 am

Newegg:
Newcastle 3500 OEM - 259
Newcastle 3500 Retail - 274
Winchester3500 OEM - 349

Pricewatch lowest prices:
Newcastle 3500 - 258 (ChiefValue)
Winchester 3500 OEM - 259 (Monarch)

dmce

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

Post by dmce » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:35 am

Hi

For anyone interested in the new DFI nf4 board. Here is the top spec one

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_produc ... LP&SITE=US

Looking at about £150.00 in the UK. Due roughly 3rd week Jan. Unfortunately there is a fan on there but i was wondering about the black thing above fan in this image:

Wasnt sure if it would have been accpetable for a new thread.