Biostar Ideq 200T

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

slam_head

Biostar Ideq 200T

Post by slam_head » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:04 am

I've been thinking of installing MythTV on my box but it's way to loud for my stereo. I think the nosiest piece is the CPU fan. I was thinking of replacing the whole heatsink/fan with one of the Zalman radial fans/heatsinks, but was concerned it might not fit in the space. Has anyone tried this. I was also going to put dampeners on just about everything. Any suggestions are welcome.

Korwen

Post by Korwen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:03 am

I actually just upgraded my entire setup from my old 200t iDEQ. I'm thoroughly convinced it's impossible to make those quiet for a number of reasons. the case fans on the 200t are a 70x25mm for the CPU, and 60x15mm for the back. These sizes are next to impossible to find quiet fans for. The Zalman units are entirely too large for a 200t and a XP-90 would not fit either. Both setups would have trouble bumping into the PSU of the 200t. If you wanted to try something radical, my only guess would be a passive CPU heatsink, with a duct leading to the left side of the case, and a 120mm fan mounted on the outside of the case blowing cool air over the heatsink, and then duct the heatsink out the rear of the fan where the 60mm case fan is, but that would be a PITA to build.

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:02 pm

Fascinating. I just posted over at SFFTech asking for recommendations as to what my 200T internals (video card, cpu, memory, sata hd, etc) could be moved into. Considering a Soltek EQ3401 Pro if I can find one ... would really like gigabit LAN on the mobo,

Having just put together a Shuttle Zen (ST62K) for the living room, I can't live with the jet engine of an iDEQ 200T any more. I now realize just how lo9ud the dang thing is! :(

pat----