Built new computer but it's freezing - PSU not enough?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xxkrnxstylezxx

Built new computer but it's freezing - PSU not enough?

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:03 pm

First my Specs:

AMD 64 3000+ Winchester
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
BFG 6800oc
Crucial 2 x 512mb PC3200 ram
Seagate 7200.7 160GB HDD
Zalman CNPS 7000b-cu w/ AS5 @ 5 volts
NEC 3520a DVD+-RW
Audigy 2 ZS
2 x 120mm Globe fans @ 5 volts
Zalman MFC1 Multi-Fan controller
Antec SLK3000B
Seasonic Super Tornado 350

Well basically, in games, there is stuttering or mini freezing. Sometimes it freezes completely and I have to restart manually.

I've ruled out the RAM, CPU, HDD, Soundcard, and graphics card (probably). I asked some people on the MSI forum, but they said my PSU was too weak. I thought this would be sufficient for my system.

Also, I'm not the only one with this issue. People with different motherboard and AMD64 combinations are having this problem, which is why I don't think it's my PSU. I'm just asking just in case it really is the the power supply's fault...

You can read in detail if you want here. http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?post ... post514287

Thanks

NeilBlanchard

it is like throwing a dart...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:31 pm

Hello:

It is pretty tough to diagnose these things remotely! You say that you have "eliminated" all those things -- how? What was your methodology? Did you run with just one RAM stick at once, and in different slots? Are you pushing the RAM timings? Have you tried bumping up the RAM voltage? What are the temps like? Is the video HS hot to the touch?

The PS should be fine -- most people are not realizing that a high quality 350watt PS like the Seasonic will beat a cheapo 500watt every time! BTW, does that video card take an secondary Molex connection, or not? Give us a few more details...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:33 pm

That Windchester draws maybe 50W at full tilt; the VGA card might draw something like 75W. So be generous, say 20W each for the drives, audio card, RAM and motherboard. Fans & controllers are <5W. We're looking at a total DC power draw of 210W.

Even if you said 90% of it was coming from the 12V line, that PSU is rated for 19A (21A peak) on the 12V line -- which is 228W (252W peak).

So I agree it's probably not the PSU. If you wanted to be 100% positive, a swap to a substantially higher power PSU is in order. Once you have done that, then the motrherboard does seem like the likley culprit.

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:44 pm

Thanks Mike

NeilBlanchard, details were in the link I posted. Nothing was overclocked, I tried different slots for the ram, ran Memtest86+ without any errors. And basically, most of the parts came from my previous PC, which had no problems at all. CPU temp maxes at 52'c and GPU at 70'c

I found that this is a very common problem for the AMD64. People said to try different things, some work for some people but not for most. I'm in the process of trying to fix it, but some people recommended that the PSU was too weak. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the PSU

Thanks

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:32 pm

tough to tell, you are probabally pushing the limits but I would think it could manage. I run a similar spec system but with a newcastle core on an antec 380W and I do occasionally get crashes in UT2004 I never used to get before I upgraded from a 9800 to my 6800 though it happens in no other games.
Most power users will jump to the assumption that your psu is too weak, and if you were trying to overclock it probably would be
is the geforce on it's own molex connector? mine came with a splitter but they state not to plug anything into the other connector

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Hello:
xxkrnxstylezxx wrote: NeilBlanchard, details were in the link I posted. Nothing was overclocked, I tried different slots for the ram, ran Memtest86+ without any errors. And basically, most of the parts came from my previous PC, which had no problems at all. CPU temp maxes at 52'c and GPU at 70'c

I found that this is a very common problem for the AMD64. People said to try different things, some work for some people but not for most. I'm in the process of trying to fix it, but some people recommended that the PSU was too weak. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the PSU
I guess I was just being lazy... :oops: Have you considered the motherboard may be the culprit? Wait! 70C for the GPU?! Yikes -- is that normal? Since it is freezing during video intensive apps; it might indicate that the GPu is overheating...Occam's Razor and all that! :wink:

As for Athlon 64's being prone to crashing -- that is just not the case, IME. I have built 3 Athlon 64 machines, and work closely with several others -- all the ones I built had 300watt PS (Seasonic, CleverPower, Fortron Source) and all ran fine. Though granted, none are used for gaming. One (with a Seasonic 300watt) has a Matrox Parhelia 128MB Retail and two Samsung SATA 160GB in a RAID 1. On another machine, an el cheapo 350watt (CaseEdge aka Foxconn) ran it fine -- but it was way too noisy, so I stuck in a Fortron Source 300watt; no problems.

Also, on one 2800+, that I was able to undervolt by nearly 0.2volts, ran under full load at barely 40C with the Alpha HS, often staying at 38C. All the others that I built were only in the mid 40's under full load (Folding) with the Zalman 7000 Al/Cu and minimum fan speeds.

I would swap out the video card and see if that stops the crashing, or try to get it cooler -- maybe the Zalman, or crank up the case fans? It may be noisy, but at least if you can lower the GPU temp, you can figure out if that it the problem. If it is, then get the Zalman!

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:16 am

You may also be having a case of mobo supplying incorrect voltages to RAM & AGP. I know my Abit board does - I had to manually downvolt the AGP & RAM, I was getting 2.75V for RAM, 1.7V for AGP default.

I do remember a mention that the Audigy cards drawing lots of power and getting hot enough to cause system lockups. Try pointing a fan at it.

There's no way the Seasonic is not enough. I bet you could run that system with a good 300 watter.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:20 am

I would reiterate the suggestion to check your RAM voltage.
As well as burcakb's point, it should be noted that some manufacturers (particularly the performance lines) have non-standard recommended settings. For example, most Corsair memory and the Crucial Ballistix line recommend operation at 2.8v which is substantially above the norm.