TFT, speakers

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

giek7

TFT, speakers

Post by giek7 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:38 am

Hi,

I have a Motion M1400 tablet PC (fanless). It might sound paranoic, but could someone explain to me why the TFT XGA monitor makes a noise(quiet high whine)? I can hear it when the HD spins down, and it is gone when the screen switches off, so I guess it must come from there. (or maybe the transformator/alimentation)

I have also notice some kind of quiet white noise that I suspect comes from the speakers, although I turned off (mute). Is this possible?

Finally, is it possible that the motherboard itself (processor, RAM) makes a quiet, high, squeakish noise (only noticeable when you press your ear on it)?

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 am

Perfectly possible.
I can hear a high-pitch noise from conventional CRT monitors. Not everyone can, as it's on the borderline of human hearing (like the noises bats make) but I'm one of the unfortunates who does.

As for the white noise, muting the speakers does not necessarily mean that they get physically turned off. If they don't, the amp will still be amplifying whatever small background fluctuations it may pick up, which would explain that.