Advice on new Case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Advice on new Case?

Post by ryboto » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:26 pm

In a week i'll be getting some extra cash to do with as I please. I've been eyeing the Lian Li V1000....currently, my sonata is as quiet as it's gonna get, but the temps kinda suck, and the interior is mighty cramped. The V1000 has had my attention for some time now, I really should have researched it before I bought the Antec case. I just wanna know if anyone knows whether or not Lian Li is planning to update the V-series this year. Or if they think they might. I'd really hate to buy the case, only to have a new one come out a month or two later, at the same price, dropping the price of the older models...The V1000 would be the second step toward my next system, i've already got a ATX 2.0 compliant Noisetaker...So, would it be worth it to buy the thing? or should I wait?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:20 pm

I've been eyeing the v-1100B case to replace my sonata too. My only concern is the high cost. I only wish we had an idea of how much the new Antec P180 will be when/if it's released.

DemonSamurai

Post by DemonSamurai » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:05 pm

I suggest the Enermax MaxFlow CS-718 server case. Silentpcreview recently reviewed a very similar (brother) case, the Silverstone Temjin TJ06, which was rated very high. The Aerocool Spiral Galaxy is another brother case. The similarities are found inside the steel case where all three of these cases share the exact same configuration and "Wind Tunnel." The dissimilarities are most seen in the front bezels and a side window if any.

I chose the Enermax over the other two for its handsome front bezel, intergrated fan controller and intergrated temperature LED display with alarm. I added a 80mm front fan, moved the fan controller from the bottom of the case, modified the case by adding a 80mm exhaust fan in the HDD cage and a made a hole the HDD cage side wall. I even removed the 80mm front fan holder and just attached the 80mm front fan to the front bezel to enhance airflow. I did a few more things, but they add very little to the case performance (just tweaking).

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article203-page1.html

http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pccase ... /index.htm

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:50 am

DemonSamurai wrote:I suggest the Enermax MaxFlow CS-718 server case. Silentpcreview recently reviewed a very similar (brother) case, the Silverstone Temjin TJ06, which was rated very high. The Aerocool Spiral Galaxy is another brother case. The similarities are found inside the steel case where all three of these cases share the exact same configuration and "Wind Tunnel." The dissimilarities are most seen in the front bezels and a side window if any.

I chose the Enermax over the other two for its handsome front bezel, intergrated fan controller and intergrated temperature LED display with alarm. I added a 80mm front fan, moved the fan controller from the bottom of the case, modified the case by adding a 80mm exhaust fan in the HDD cage and a made a hole the HDD cage side wall. I even removed the 80mm front fan holder and just attached the 80mm front fan to the front bezel to enhance airflow. I did a few more things, but they add very little to the case performance (just tweaking).

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article203-page1.html

http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pccase ... /index.htm
My only issue with those cases is the hard drive placement, and using the power supply to cool them. In the Lian Li cases, both the hard disks and the psu get their own air...in the maxflow and clone cases, the hard drives get barely any airflow, as well, the heat that rises from the half of the mb and pci/video card that don't have an exhaust fan could add up. I read a bunch of reviews, and only one tackled the actual hdd temps, and in the end they gave it a 3/10 score. I'd much rather have the lian li, where, even if the heat does escape the exhaust fan, it can rise out through the rear mesh. Not only that, but since you have the lowest fan on the cpu, doesn't that increase the possibility of more dust? especially if that air is confined to the tunnel...

I know you modded the hdd cage, but I don't have the tools to drill a hole like that, i have the ability to remove fan grills, but that's about it.

DemonSamurai

Post by DemonSamurai » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:29 am

I didn't think I could drill a hole into a computer case and add an exhaust fan either...until I tried. It was so simple, I believe a 10 year old could it. Perhaps a bright 10 year old with a little bit of extra weight to help steady the drill.

I found the instructions to drill the hole on the Internet. Now I am super excited with my case. As you mentioned, the reviews most negative aspects of this case have involved the lack of cool air to the HDD cage and lack of assistance in removing hot air from the HDD cage - otherwise, the universal theme has been to rave about this case. I fixed it and I believe anyone with a little bit of gumption could do the same in order to receive one of the coolest rigs available on the market!

By the way, I also installed four new case fans ( 3 Nexus and 1 Enermax).

I don't believe fan position necessitates an increase in dust (i.e., mostly dead skin cells). I do believe the more airflow you have, the more dust you'll have settling on the bottom of the case. This will require the owner to open the case about once a month and remove the dust from the bottom of the case.

In my hubble opinion, my modified case is far superior to any Lian Li case and I believe the reviews would wholly support this conclusion as well.

Notes: The "Wind Tunnel" does not completely cover the lower portion of the case and CPU. Therefore, expect a cooling affect to the upper portion of the mobo. FYI, I also installed Vantec vibration dampeners to the 80mm fans and the PSU to reduce noise.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:11 am

DemonSamurai wrote:I didn't think I could drill a hole into a computer case and add an exhaust fan either...until I tried. It was so simple, I believe a 10 year old could it. Perhaps a bright 10 year old with a little bit of extra weight to help steady the drill.

I found the instructions to drill the hole on the Internet. Now I am super excited with my case. As you mentioned, the reviews most negative aspects of this case have involved the lack of cool air to the HDD cage and lack of assistance in removing hot air from the HDD cage - otherwise, the universal theme has been to rave about this case. I fixed it and I believe anyone with a little bit of gumption could do the same in order to receive one of the coolest rigs available on the market!

By the way, I also installed four new case fans ( 3 Nexus and 1 Enermax).

I don't believe fan position necessitates an increase in dust (i.e., mostly dead skin cells). I do believe the more airflow you have, the more dust you'll have settling on the bottom of the case. This will require the owner to open the case about once a month and remove the dust from the bottom of the case.

In my hubble opinion, my modified case is far superior to any Lian Li case and I believe the reviews would wholly support this conclusion as well.

Notes: The "Wind Tunnel" does not completely cover the lower portion of the case and CPU. Therefore, expect a cooling affect to the upper portion of the mobo. FYI, I also installed Vantec vibration dampeners to the 80mm fans and the PSU to reduce noise.
Well, it might be easy, with the proper tools(drill, drill bits, etc..)....and I don't have the budget for tools, especially if i buy the maxflow. The enermax version of the chasis is the only one that is slightly appealing to me, and it's still pretty huge. Not only that, I like the idea of lian li's optical drive covers, since my drives are all beige, they clash with just about any case. While asthetics aren't the most important, cost is. And I can't justify buying a case that comes with a psu, since I just bought a noisetaker. I don't really think the thing is that pretty either. The "fan controller" doesn't really do anything for me either, since the motherboard i'm going to buy has one built in.

I want to buy a case where the max i'm going to have to mod, is cutting a fan grill, and suspending the drives, which, in the maxflow, looks to be a bit difficult. It'll be even more difficult to cool the drives in the case, while suspending them without extensive modding, and a lot of time.

I think the maxflow could do well to put the hard disks in front of the 80mm fan, maybe even make it a 92mm...then drop the psu down a few notches, dropping the height of the case, because, personally, I don't think i'd ever own more than 2 optical drives, and maybe, maybe a fan controller, for a total of 3 optical drive slots. With that, the psu could exhaust the m/b heat, and the hard disks are cooled. In the V-series, the hard disk's should have their orientation changed, or something...and the psu might be in a more thermally suitable place above the mb. At the same time, it gives the psu and hd's access to cooler air. Too many cons in both cases, i'm gonna wait a few months to see if anything new gets released.

DemonSamurai

Post by DemonSamurai » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:58 am

I suppose with a lack of tools, lack of funds and beige components, you are forced to look elsewhere. Good luck!