Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 Sensors

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

addyngan

Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 Sensors

Post by addyngan » Mon May 02, 2005 8:12 pm

I just got the gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 board last week, but i am confused about the temperature sensors.

First of all, in the software EasyTune5 that comes with the MB, i can only see the CPU temperature, and it's about 30 idle and 40 peak. It does not show any other temperatures.

I then used MBM5 to look at the temperatures, the three sensor from the ITE8712F gives 70, 30, and 25 respectively. My guess would be 70 for NB, 30 for CPU, but then i am not completely sure what that 25 is. Would it be the MB temperature? It looks kind of low if that's the case, so i am not believing it.

What are your experiences?

Addy

Coolin

Post by Coolin » Mon May 02, 2005 8:44 pm

25 would probably be the ambient case temperature.

perry

Post by perry » Sat May 14, 2005 10:19 pm

I haven't figured out what the 3rd temp (70 C) is for, so I ignore it. The first temp (25 C) never changes for me, no matter what the CPU temp is. So I have started ignoring it too. Heh. The CPU temp reading seem awfully optimistic to me too. I've only seen it go up to 40C while under load, and starts out at around 28C right after I've booted with a Zalman 7000B-AlCu.

Using Powernow and a fan controlling program in Linux, the Zalman's fan will turn off and CPU speed will drop down to 1GHz and 1.1V. After a few minutes like that, the temp will creep down towards 30C.

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Sat May 14, 2005 10:46 pm

this is rather alarming to me... I was considering getting a gigabyte K8N Ultra9 mobo... but I like to keep temps supervised... has anyone tried other temp sensors to see if/how much the system sensors are off by? And if the 70 C is for your northbridge... isn't that a little too hot? Especially considering that it's one of the few (only one on newegg) nForce4 boards to be passively cooled.

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Sun May 15, 2005 11:11 am

The 70 can be for your PWM. Those get real hot, and are rated for 130.

perry

Post by perry » Sun May 15, 2005 3:17 pm

I just double checked that 70 reading. CPU down at 30 w/ powernow kicked in. Zalman's fan was off. Started up cpuburn. CPU temp went up to 38 in under a minute. Killed cpuburn. Powernow dropped the CPU voltage to 1.1V. CPU temp dropped down to 30, Zalman's fan went off (think it's set to go off around 34).

The "MB" temp never changed from 25. The only change I saw in that 3rd temp were random changes from 70 to 71.

Would a northbridge or PWM (not sure I know what that is) sensor be affected by a 9 degree jump in CPU temp? I'm using an otherwise stock Sonata with a fan in the front location that is not temperature controlled.

System has run Prime95 for abour 7 hours at one stretch, so I'm not tooooo worried about it.

Google brought me to this product listing with this tidbit at the bottom:
Hardware Monitoring CPU core temperature, CPU fan tachometer, chassis fan tachometer, system voltage, power supply fan tachometer

adala

Post by adala » Tue May 24, 2005 7:01 am

I just got this board too.

Here is my setup in brief

amd 3200+ venice
xp-120 HSF w/o fan
1 exhaust fan, 1 front fan, both 120mm
S12-430 psu
2x160gb T7K250

I get about the same temp reading with SpeedFan.
the 25c is bogus, never changes, always constant. I think it could be a mb sensor that is just not connected/used.

CPU runs about 32c idle and 39c full load during folding for over an hour.

I have the passive cooling gigabyte 6600gt turbo somehting, that gives me two reading, local and remote. Both runs about 46 and 32 idle respectively.

I was never able to figure out that 70c temp sensor until I read a review at neoseeker(?) stating that the temp of the nforce4 ultra on the same mb (SLI version) runs about 65-70c guesstimate..... I am kind of worrying about NB running that high but then again the comp. ran folding for hours and never hit an error plus I am not oc'ing

Pétur

Post by Pétur » Sun May 29, 2005 10:18 am

Yes, bloody Gigabyte boards...

I have a GA-K8NXP-9 and was confused about the temps as well...
Too bad I swapped the NB cooler with a passive one before I installes SpeedFan, but the values mentioned look the same for me: temp1 = 25 = never changes, temp2 = CPU, temp3 = 70-73 = ??? I was thinking NB, but the Zalman passive cooler feels just hot, I won't get burned if I hold it for minutes.... so I was wondering it was maybe GPU temp offset by some degrees? Haven't run a GFX benchmark to verify that...

Peter

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:05 am

I have this board as well, and the third value can't be anything usefull. It doesn't vary with system load or cooling by any more than 2 degrees. That's going from no fans in an enclosed case with CPUBurn to idle/undervolted everything with a large floorstanding fan at max blowing right onto the board. I even tried taking a hairdryer to the NB and got no change at all.

It can't be the graphics card either, as I tried it with a Radeon 7000, X800, and 6800 Ultra...no change at all.