Looking for advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Looking for advice

Post by elec999 » Tue May 03, 2005 7:09 pm

I got my self a amd 64. Oh I never seen a more quiet system before. The cpu fan (funny its even the stock one, and its so quiet). After reading a few reviews. I ending up choosing a antec case. I can choose between,
Antec SLK3700AMB Metallic Bronze Super Mid Tower w/ SmartPower 350W Power Supply
Antec SLK3700BQE Black Quiet Super Mid Tower w/ SmartPower 350W Power Supply $100.00
Antec Super LANBOY Aluminum Super Mini Tower w/o Power Supply
I am not sure that the Antec power supply is too quiet. If I get a Antec Lanboy, what psu to get. All psus claim to be quiet, but not sure what to get. And also need to load the system with two quiet 120mm fans.
I will replace my chipset cooler, its a passive cooler, but chipset gets real out, with a Zalman. For the ram Ive got crucial ram 2x512, do I really need heatsinks for it. No overclocking at all, Amd 64 3000+, Dfi 250gb.
Thanks

Seafire

Post by Seafire » Tue May 03, 2005 8:26 pm

It's rare, but all the cases you asked about are reviewed on this very site, which you should read. Basically if you want an aluminum Antec case, then the Super Lanboy is not bad. Like all aluminum cases it will resonate for an overall louder system, and weigh less.
As for the AMB/BQE, I'll let Ralf Hutter tell ya...
Ralf Hutter wrote:Between the 3700AMB and the 3700BQE, which would I choose? It depends.

* If I didn't want to mess with cutting out the grills I'd go with the 3700BQE.
* If I wanted the best "turnkey" Silent PC case I'd go with the 3700BQE.
* If I was willing to mod the fan grills myself and was going to replace the PSU and case fan with the quietest versions I could get, I'd go with the 3700AMB.
You can get a better power supply, if your budget allows and you can even hear it over your stock cooler.
Ramsinks are 98% looks.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Wed May 04, 2005 7:31 am

I did read some reviews on those cases on silentpcreview, before posting. They seem pretty promising. But some form members are saying they arent the great. Can you recomend me a power supply in paricular, I was thinking of a Sunflower 450watt with 140mm fan.
Thanks

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed May 04, 2005 9:13 am

Seasonic S12-380 or 430 are very good and quiet PSU's. The 380 should be plenty for your system (assuming you are not using SLI dual video cards).

elec999

Post by elec999 » Wed May 04, 2005 3:08 pm

I managed to mod my power supplies fan to 7v. Now really silent, can barely hear it. My cpu fan, is not noticable thats its on. But the biggest problem my hard drive makes a ennoying hissing sound, or the motor spinning sound, just like any other hard drive. This hard drive is quiet, you can hear noise when its reading and writing, but you can hear its on, that ennoying hissing motor sound hard for me to describe it exactly. The hard drive is a Western Digital 40gig, anything at all I can do about its noise. Its the loudest thing in my case. If I turn it on, I dont even know my computer is on. After reading more on the forums it appears that this noise may be known as a "high pitched whine"
Thanks