Building Parents a New Computer; In Need of Recommendations

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MonsterMac

Building Parents a New Computer; In Need of Recommendations

Post by MonsterMac » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:21 pm

Hey guys,

Recently my parents have been having some computer issues with the one I threw together for them a while ago, and I decided it would be best for me to just junk their old one (sell it in parts) and build them a new one from scratch.

This computer would NOT need to be fast by any means, because they would only use it for E-Mail, the Internet, and Word Processing. I would probably throw Windows2K on it, or WinXP. Here is a list of parts I would need:

CASE
CPU
HDD
RAM
VGA (could be onboard)
PSU
CPU HEATSINK
VGA HEATSINK (if applicable)
MODEM (no broadband where they live)
LCD (their old CRT just isn't cutting it anymore)
LAN (onboard or PCI card is fine)

I would like to keep this as cheap (and quiet) as possible. Any and all input is welcome, thanks in advance.

Here's some parts I have been considering:

HDD = 30GB - 40GB notebook HDD of some sort?
= NoVibes 2.5" to 3.5" to hold the HDD?
CPU/MOBO = VIA C3?
RAM = 512 or 256 Generic
VGA = Not sure if I should go onboard, or a mx400 or something cheap like that, which would be better for an LCD?
LCD = no ideas yet, I would like a 19" of some kind though.
MODEM = generic
LAN = generic
CD/RW + DVDROM = generic of somesort

derekva

Definitely a C3...

Post by derekva » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Something like a VIA EPIA M10000 would be a good choice. Use the onboard video, sound, network, etc. All you would need is a case, a slimline DVD and a 2.5" HDD and they'd be set. Only one moving part (CPU fan), and some cases get away from that with heatpipes. I've found with parents, that the fewer things that can break the better. There's nothing like getting that 9PM call on a Saturday 'The computer's broken, can you fix it?' when you live 140 miles away...

-Derek

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:57 pm

Case: Unless you're serious about the thing being silent, pretty much any full-ATX steel case will do. I recommend the Antec 3700AMB because it's what I have, and it's unbelieveably quiet if you don't have it chock full of really loud components. It is heavy though.

CPU/mobo: Either a C3 or A64-based Sempron would likely work just fine.

HDD: Sounds like you know what you want, I recommend a newer WD drive but that's just because they're what I have experience with. I recommend you at least stay away from IBM and Maxtor. Get at least 80GB, though, 80 only costs a few bucks more than 40 and 120 only costs a little more than that.

RAM: 512MB should be plenty, but get brand-name value RAM instead of generic, or else you're likely to have compatibility and performance issues.

VGA: If not onboard, a passive Radeon 9200 would prolly be fine, but don't think that more RAM on the card is necessarily going to yield better performance, especially since it doesn't sound like your parents are hardcore gamers (like mine are... heh)

PSU: If ytou get an Antec case, a lot of them come with power supplies, they're not extremely quiet but they aren't especially loud either. Other than that, I'm sure someone else can recommend a good one, I'd stay away from any totally passive ones though.

CPU heatsink: Thermalright XP-90 if you go with an A64, or pretty much anything for a C3. With a small amount of care they can be cooled passively.

VGA heatsink: You shouldn't be going with a fanned video card anyway, so not applicable. Stock passive sink will do the job.

Modem: Any full-duplex generic 56k modem will work. OfficeMax occasionally has free-after-rebates deals on them, so keep an eye out.

LCD: Grr, I hate LCD's, they always look blurry comared to a good CRT, even if you happen to be running at their native resolution. They do have benefits, though.

LAN: You will almost definitely have onboard LAN, but since they don't have broadband, what networking do you expect them to be doing?

CD-RW: I'd get a good brand-name dual layer DVD burner, they can be found for around 50 bucks anyway, and you never know when one might be desired. One should be plenty, the times when you actually need two at the same time are too seldom to justify the cost for most people.

OS: Put Windows XP on there, it is all-around better than 2000 for home use despite what most hardcore geeks seem to think, the kernel is improved somewhat and although yes, it's a bit bogged down, it doesn't have to be. It's relatively easy to shut off all the unnecessary crap like window skinning and the Welcome screen.

Something else you may want to consider is some sort of portable storage, be it a jump drive, mp3 player, ipod, whatever.

There's also the question of mouse and keyboard, printer, scanner, tv tuner, etc.... You'd be surprised how convenient an HTPC can be when properly set up.

MonsterMac

Re: Definitely a C3...

Post by MonsterMac » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:08 pm

derekva wrote:Something like a VIA EPIA M10000 would be a good choice. Use the onboard video, sound, network, etc. All you would need is a case, a slimline DVD and a 2.5" HDD and they'd be set. Only one moving part (CPU fan), and some cases get away from that with heatpipes. I've found with parents, that the fewer things that can break the better. There's nothing like getting that 9PM call on a Saturday 'The computer's broken, can you fix it?' when you live 140 miles away...

-Derek
Yes... the fewer things that can break, the better. Is there a lower model than the VIA EPIA M10000; like isn't there a model witha fanless cpu cooler already installed (it looks like that one has a fan) not that noise will be an issue, i'm just curious. that looks good, 1 pci slot for the modem, 2xide connectors, but what case do you thin k i should put it all in? any ideas?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:09 pm

A lot of older folks don't hear so well, so they don't need a silient computer, a reasonalby quiet one will do fine. Probably best to get one from Dell or maybe a HP from a big box store (mail order if necessary).

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:17 pm

m0002a wrote:A lot of older folks don't hear so well, so they don't need a silient computer, a reasonalby quiet one will do fine. Probably best to get one from Dell or maybe a HP from a big box store (mail order if necessary).
More importantly, people lose the ability to hear very high-pitched sounds as they age, so blocking the really high-pitched sounds isn't a concern.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:27 am

m0002a wrote:A lot of older folks don't hear so well, so they don't need a silient computer, a reasonalby quiet one will do fine. Probably best to get one from Dell or maybe a HP from a big box store (mail order if necessary).
MonsterMac, your situation is the perfect one for getting them a Dell. I saw an ad for either a $299, or $399 (I think was @299, but am not positive) Dell system just yesterday.

There's no way in hell you could build them one for that cheap, plus if they had trouble, Dell'd be doing the tech support, not you. ;)

mellon

Post by mellon » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:46 am

In case you have dislike for Dells or prefer to build it yourself:

-Antec BQE with rear fan 5-volted: medium price, has a reasonably silent PSU
-Asus Socket A Motherboard & Socket A Sempron
-Samsung 3,5" HDD: at least older Samsungs are reliable
-512MB RAM
-Radeon 9200 or 9250 with DVI output
-generic modem
-Viewsonic 171's with old panels (16ms) are good and relatively cheap
-LAN on motherboard

If you want the computer to be ugradeable, get a Socet939 motherboard and the cheapest possible Socket 939 Athlon64 instead of SocketA stuff. Not too expensive and may be of use in a couple of years (Longhorn :wink:).

Mike_Metro

Post by Mike_Metro » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:09 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
MonsterMac, your situation is the perfect one for getting them a Dell. I saw an ad for either a $299, or $399 (I think was @299, but am not positive) Dell system just yesterday.

There's no way in hell you could build them one for that cheap, plus if they had trouble, Dell'd be doing the tech support, not you. ;)
I totally agree with m0002a and Ralph, go with a Dell. The price (with included software) is good and not being the 24-7 on-call family tech support line is priceless.

scruzbeachbum

Post by scruzbeachbum » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:26 am

Buy an iMac and get the 3yr support. Or go with a mac mini and separate display. While I have both macs and wintel platforms, I went Mac for my folks. I never get a "this isn't working call" from them....my brother with the wintel platform however calls at least once a month with issues.

propheci

Re: Definitely a C3...

Post by propheci » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:37 am

MonsterMac wrote:Yes... the fewer things that can break, the better. Is there a lower model than the VIA EPIA M10000; like isn't there a model witha fanless cpu cooler already installed (it looks like that one has a fan) not that noise will be an issue, i'm just curious. that looks good, 1 pci slot for the modem, 2xide connectors, but what case do you thin k i should put it all in? any ideas?
yes there are. i used to have an EPIA 800; it was 500MHz i think. all the EPIA boards come in several different flavors and some are fanless. the ones that do come with fans are 40mm, which can be a pain to silence.

as for cases for the mini-ITX, i really liked my Casetronic Travla C137-120W. http://www.casetronic.com/. it has room for a 3.5" or 2.5" HDD. also fits a slim cdrom. external PSU.

but as for the overall solution, i'd recommend the mac mini over everything else. i dumped by mini-ITX for it and never looked back. performance wise, it's much better than any of the EPIA stuff.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:06 am

Mac mini would be fine, if it wasn't a Mac..... MacOS isn't easy to learn when you're used to Windows. All the little "annoyances" from things you have to do differently from Windows add up, and what you're left with is utter frustation.

scruzbeachbum

Post by scruzbeachbum » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:35 am

if all they are doing is email, surfing, word docs, etc...I'm thinking the learning curve is pretty minimal to switch to the mac mini....just get em a two button mouse so they don't have to mess with the apple hockeypuck.

the point of the OS is that you don't notice the OS....not that you need to get up the learning curve. :D

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:29 pm

If it was all about having a short learning curve, everyone would still use DOS, because there isn't much to learn there. But, I have to admit that if you're not doing really in-depth work, MacOS isn't too tough to pick up.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:11 pm

I've decided to go Mini-ITX, mainly because I'd like to stick with windows. I think I will go with the VIA 600mhz cpu/mobo combination (not sure of exact product name) mainly because it's passively cooled, and that's as much processor speed as they would need. I'd stick a 512 stick of something good in there, and get a decent modem. I'd definitely use a case from www.casetronic.com, and probably guy a 2.5" hdd to fit in there (in a 3.5" no vibes if they dont have mounts for a 2.5" hdd). Then I'll probably go with a viewsonic LCD (hopefully those wont run too expensive). I really appreciate the input guys, you've helped tremendously with my decisions, 13 replies in under 24 hours is extraordinary. Thanks again, if you have anything else to add feel free. I'll post my final configuration before I order anything.

propheci

Post by propheci » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:23 pm

a word about the casetronics. in some of their cases, you get no airflow over the HDD. so the temperature could get up to 55 or something. i had one 3.5" HDD go bad in mine after a year. i switched to a 5400rpm 3.5" HDD and it was fine after that. though you might not need to worry if you're getting a 2.5".

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:09 pm

If you are not will to pay more than $800 or so I wouldn't bother making one. For what you save on a sub $800 unit it isnt really worth the effort if you ask me.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:07 pm

oakdad wrote:If you are not will to pay more than $800 or so I wouldn't bother making one. For what you save on a sub $800 unit it isnt really worth the effort if you ask me.
What in the world are you basing this on?!? I built an XP3000+ system with $350 and a few spare parts.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:39 pm

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/epia5000.html

Just ordered the VIA EPIA-5000 from www.directron.com

It seems to me that 500mhz should be MORE than enough for their needs (web surfing, email, word processing, instant messaging, and the occasional use of tax cut 2003). Does anyone have a recommendation of ram to go with that unit?

I think im going to go with the C137 90W from www.casetronic.com, as well as the SAMSUNG Spinpoint M MP0302H 30GB from www.newegg.com (it's a 2.5" notebook drive). Does anyone have any objections or further comments?