Seagate "Quiet Mode" Toggle?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echo1434

Seagate "Quiet Mode" Toggle?

Post by echo1434 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:32 am

I was just on the phone wiht a Seagate representaive asking for some details about the acoustics of various drive models. I currently have two SATA Barracuda 7200.7 160's in my ARM Systems PC.

The ratings he gave me were an average of 25 db "typical" and 30 db "seek" in quiet mode, and 37 dB in performance mode. He then went on to tell me that all drives are shipped in performance mode, and that there is no longer any way to toggle these settings. This kind of baffled me, but he explained that the the "quiet mode" rating was only for reference use anymore.

As I've mentioned in another post, whatever noise level mine is currently putting out is just right for me — I wouldn't want anything louder. So I was wondering if anyone knows if ARM systems could have tweaked these drives into the quiet mode before shipping them. Sadly, there is no way to ask them as they no longer exist!

Finally, does anyone know how to make this adjustment on current Seagate models? The person I spoke to said someone might be able to do it with the right software or something like that, but he did not know of a way. Needless to say, I am a bit puzzled! Does anyone have more info? Thanks in advance.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:47 am

echo1434

Post by echo1434 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:23 am

Thanks. So maybe the answer is "no" — this cannot be done with Seagate?
But does anybody know for sure? 8)

I just tried this with the AAM program, and it does not work. Maybe some other program can do this?

BenW

Post by BenW » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:25 am

as far as i know its not possible

echo1434

Post by echo1434 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:34 am

BenW wrote:as far as i know its not possible
Thanks again for the help. I think it's really deceptive that they give a rating for a "quiet mode", when it's not even an option from the company! :(