scsi dvdrw + floppy drives

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

happycoyote

scsi dvdrw + floppy drives

Post by happycoyote » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:20 pm

Hello, I am putting together a system with two Seagate Baracuda 36ES2 Ultra 160 SCSI HD's and would prefer a dvdrw to complement these.

Are there any SCSI dvdrw drives and would one of these be any noisier or hotter running than a usual dvdrw. Along a similar vein any ideas who produces an Ultra 160 SCSI 1.44 MB floppy drive ?

Hope you can help

(I live in Scotland so UK or web based resources please)

jamesm

Post by jamesm » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:16 pm

I don't think scsi dvdrw drives would louder or noiser because they would probably the same drive as their IDE counterparts with a SCSI interface (like some IDE/SCSI hard drives). I don't think anyone would bother making an Ultra160 floppy... there's no way it could use up all that bandwidth, and there is a very big market for that type of stuff even if it could.

happycoyote

Post by happycoyote » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:07 am

I don't think anyone would bother making an Ultra160 floppy... there's no way it could use up all that bandwidth

I would like a bootable backup to the dvdrw, ideally this drive should be able to read my old 1.44MB floppies. I need the drives to be Ultra 160 SCSI compliant since I have been given to understand that a SCSI chain only runs as fast as its slowest device.

jamesm

Post by jamesm » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:41 am

why not use a regular floppy?

happycoyote

Post by happycoyote » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:53 am

Curiousity mostly, :wink: and a sense of neatness.
In the end I may only have a dvdrw and two SCSI HD's in the chain but I thought It worth asking about a floppy drive while I was here.