New Build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slide

New Build

Post by Slide » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:19 am

I'm just about to set out on a new build, mainly for gaming - but also as a media centre type thingy and am looking for some feedback and advice on component selection. I don't have unlimited budget and want something reliable but quiet. I'v picked out these parts so far:

Case: Antec SLK3700-BQE - I want something solid, understated, with room to work and quiet. This one looks okay, but i'm a bit leary of the lack of front access without a door. Ideally i'd like access to the CD and sound jacks on the front - primarily for switching between headset and speaker mode.

Mobo: Asus A8N Premium - the heatpipe job, seems like a good mobo - dont care about SLI but other than that it's fine I guess.

CPU: Probably at current prices an Athlon 64 X2 at 4400 - what kind of aftermarket cooling can I fit to this thats quiet but not too expensive? Can I go passive?

PSU: Elan Greenerger 500w

Disks: Probably going to go with a pair of Samsung 250GB SATA jobbies.

Graphics: Haven't decided on this yet, possibly a 7800GT - and perhaps an aftermarket cooler?

Slide

Post by Slide » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:38 pm

bump

noone have any advice at all?

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Not to sound harsh but we get this kind of topic "what parts for my new system?" twice a day and the answers are always very similar. So you should look into the older posts, like that of the previous day. But I'll try to help you anyway.

Sounds good for a semi-quiet system. Get a quiet CPU cooler as well, preferably one that uses 92mm or 120mm fans so you can use a quiet custom fan. The 120mm heatsinks has no real advantage over the 92mm ones contrary to myth, so I would give a slight edge over to the 92mm heatsinks because you get the advantage of copper. With low RPM fans copper starts to really show its advantage over aluminum.

You need a sound card. X-Fi is your only real option for gaming, since Audigy2 has poor sound quality for music.