Help requested with Pentium-M / P180 system

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sam Williams

Help requested with Pentium-M / P180 system

Post by Sam Williams » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:24 pm

Hi all... It's been a while. I've been very happy with my 2001-vintage sytem, based on an Athlon 1.0 GHz, since silencing it using tips collected in this forum. It still runs like clockwork.

However, the time has come for more pace and power. Here is my plan so far:

CPU: Intel Pentium-M 760 2.0 GHz
Motherboard: AOpen i915GMm-HFS
Case: Antec P180
Hard Drive: Samsung SP2504C
Memory: Crucial CT12864AA53E (1 GB, DDR2-533)
Power Supply: Seasonic S12-430
DVD-R: BenQ DW1625
Case Fan: Nexus Real Quiet 120mm with Fan Mate

As you can see, the above spec is heavily based on SPCR reviews and forum comments. I plan to use the integrated audio and graphics initially, with a view to upgrading one or both some months from now. The same applies to a second hard drive and a second stick of RAM.

A few words on intended use: I am an increasingly occasional gamer (where did all my leisure time go?). The most intensive tasks will be intermediate Photoshop work. The system will act as my music source also.

The aim is a cool-running, extremely quiet system with enough power on tap to last for a good 3-4 years.

I'd love to hear comments / suggested amendments at this point... I plan to order in a week or so. Thanks in advance for all your advice - much appreciated. Hopefully, with the right choices, this system will be an even quieter, much more powerful replacement for my 2001 system.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:46 pm

The MSI Speedster FA4 motherboard has just turned up in stores in Japan. Give it a month and it should be here.

I would suggest you consider waiting for it as it offers the traditional P4 mounting holes and an otherwise near identical feature list. The P4 mounting holes will let you use a much more exotic array of heatsinks. It looks like it'll be priced at about $300 US.

Speedster FA4 at Akiba
MSI Japan FA4 website (for feature list)

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:35 am

Hmmm... Intriguing - thanks pipperoni.

On closer examination, the Pentium-M route seems to carry a hefty cost premium. I've been checking out Athlon 64-based bundles at similar price points, and it seems hard to justify the premium for the -M system.

I think I need to put some more time into research... Thanks again for the advice.