939 sli motherboard.. what has the top here?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aowen512

939 sli motherboard.. what has the top here?

Post by aowen512 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 pm

what motherboard, sli 939, holds the top spot.. if its not clear then who competes

im looking for something that stands out like nf7-s rev2 did

ive been doing research but i thought i should ask you guys on your opinions

thx alot!

aowen512

Post by aowen512 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:09 am

its been a few days now... i take it there is no top nor is there a couple that hold the top spots... so basically should i just go with what i like??

also.. NON SLI 939 socket motherboards

any suggestions/highest rated motherboards here?

thx alot guys

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:42 pm

Asus A8N-SLI Premium.
Good performance and a silent heatpipe cooler on the northbridge.

Live

Post by Live » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:49 am

The closest you get to a board like the nf7-s rev2 is definitely the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR. It tops all other boards in overclocking and has the largest enthusiast and bios support. It has won or scored top 3 in every roundup I have seen it in.

But (and here at SPCR it’s a big but) it’s not "silent". It does not under volt better then the rest and it has a loud active cooling just like most NF4 boards. Then again neither did the nf7.

So if you are looking for pure performance I would go for DFI SLI-DR or the non SLI DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D.

If however passive NB cooling is essential the ASUS looks good. Though ABIT and gigabyte also have boards with passive cooling. Which of those are "best" is still an open question in my opinion.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:09 am

Perhaps the new (not yet released) Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe? It has passive cooling like the top of the line P4 Asus motherboards and full x16 lanes for each card, unlike the rest which only have x8.

This might be an idea of what you can expect.

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:23 am

Abit AN8-Ultra/AN8-SLI

Reasons: Heatpiped cooled NB. Host of OC features. Manual Fan control (one can set fan voltages and temps when voltage must increase). Cheaper than Asus A8N Premium and Gigabyte boards..

The Gigabyte passively cooled mobo, has only a larger than normal heatsink, the height of which is still confined by the Gfx cards.

The Asus Premium board has a heatpipe cooled NB, much like the Abit, but it's fins seem to be mounted on the mosfets which will add to the heat generated.

It would appear the NB on the Abit boards would run cooler and thus allow for greater overclocks :D

Bob

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:04 pm

yea the DFI lanparty one is the best board for amd besides like a tyan board which has less applications in this forum.

DFI offers nice undervolting and super fast sli performance.

it also roasts. the asus also roasts though. it's passive... it's like a passive inferno.

if you want to go uber, id water the cool the DFI board's northbridge with a Reserator in a cpu, northbridge, gpu loop. now THAT is the best of all worlds.

I wish DFI used a Uli 1695 chipset on a "value" board. that would be the thing to get in my opinion.