silent Pentium 4 D 830 3 GHz

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fjzingo

silent Pentium 4 D 830 3 GHz

Post by fjzingo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:02 pm

Hello

I'm going to build the below PC to use as DAW(Digital audio workstation)
The combination of power and silence seems to be dificult to achieve, so I need some advice efrom you experienced "silencers".

Antec P180
Seasonic S12 430
Pentium IV D 3,0Ghz
Fan Zalman 9500
ASUS P5WD2
2gb ddr-2 memory
sony 16x Duallayer dvd
(seagate?) 160gb
maxtor Diamondmax 300Gb
firewire Adaptec AFW-4300
graphics card Hightec radeon 300se
soundcard Motu 828 and/or gadget labs wave 824.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:06 pm

Get a Scythe Ninja instead of the Z9500, it's way better suited for P180 (you can run it passive on that D chip with both case fans on, maybe even with just one).

I'm assuming you can't make the switch to AMD at this point. If you can, do, it's much easier to cool a AMD quietly.

You might want to get a Samsung Spinpoint instead of the Seagate, they're quieter.

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:49 pm

You have a nice looking setup however as it has been pointed out, it is much, much harder to build a silent system from a P4. A dual core athlon will perform just as well and put out half the heat.

I would recommend an athlon x2 4200+ (or 3800+) with an asus a8n sli premium with a scythe ninja and then replace all the stock 120mm fans with nexus fans.

also i would replace the seasonic with a phantom and a nexus at 5V in the lower chamber (with the vent holes taped up)

fjzingo

Post by fjzingo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:54 am

thanks for the replies I will look into the AMD, there has been probs with firewire soundcards reported with the AMD and it's not compatible with UAD PCI Cards at the moment.

The phantom is at least twice as expensive (500W) as the seasonic, is it really worth more than the case?

I can't fin scythe fans in sweden, any suggestion on retailer in europe?

/FZ

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:01 am

fjzingo wrote:thanks for the replies I will look into the AMD, there has been probs with firewire soundcards reported with the AMD and it's not compatible with UAD PCI Cards at the moment.

The phantom is at least twice as expensive (500W) as the seasonic, is it really worth more than the case?

I can't fin scythe fans in sweden, any suggestion on retailer in europe?

/FZ
The S12-430 is about as quiet as a Phantom + 120 quiet fan.

Scythe is the heatsink maker. They have an EU website:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/index.php

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:50 am

I agree with the comment about getting rid of the Zalman 9500. It cools really well, but it isn't necessary on a 3Ghz Pentium 4 or any of the Athlon64 chips out today. A Scythe Ninja would be great, but if you don't mind a little bit more noise, I would recommend an Thermalright XP-90 with a Nexus fan or a Zalman 7700AlCu. Either one can keep your CPU cool, and you won't have all that weight hanging off your motherboard. Plus they're slightly cheaper.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:04 pm

strom gave a good review of the coolers.

I would say that a pentium D would be cheaper in the short run, more costly in the long run. it wasts 2-3x the power, more heat, etc. you will be truly battling and buying all sorts of different solutions to make the system evacuate the heat better and silently.

seasonic 430 is a great option, get an american one for even more efficiency.
:twisted: be a anti-euro rebel

the phantom is best thoguh i feel, 350 with a nexus is prime for such a setup.

I would go dual core 3800. the 4200 is lot more money, and not MUCH better at doing what you need to get done. any dual core rips through what you want it to, just get the coolest, most efficient one is my advice.
(but im getting the 4400 just cuz im a gamer)

Here's a tip: I duno if this will help you but try looking at an a64 board with built in ati graphics, the ati200 chipset. I dunno, might be ok? you seem to have doubts about your specific gear working with it, but I would look into it. IT is cheap and has a built in x300 ati card in it.

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:45 pm

fjzingo wrote:I can't fin scythe fans in sweden, any suggestion on retailer in europe?
I just ordered one from this german retailer:

http://www.pcsilent.de/en/index.asp

580 SEK including delivery. They had some problems with their creditcard payment system though, so it was a bit of a hassle. Don't know if it was just my card...