What's your opinion on a P180 + Ninja + Lanparty Ultra-D?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Big Fat Duck

What's your opinion on a P180 + Ninja + Lanparty Ultra-D?

Post by Big Fat Duck » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:10 pm

I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out which motherboard to get. I have already bought a p180 and I REALLY want a ninja, but I don't know which motherboard to get. I initially was pretty confident in getting the Lanparty Ultra-D, since all the dudes at HardOCP were flipping out about how fast and overclockable it was. Now I'm sorta put off by:

1. The Karajan audio module not fitting with the case fan in the p180
2. The Ninja ends up covering the topmost pci express slot and a RAM slot
3. Chipset fan is really loud
4. Cpu socket is placed in the middle, so its not really utilizing the p180's design
5. Lots of ram doesn't work apparently

So I started looking at the Asus A8E, but I didn't do much research on it... I was put off because no-one has this freaking board, it's chipset fan is loud, and because I haven't seen any reviews that say that its a good performer.

I saw some guy's configuration on these forums where he used the Asus SLI- premium board (A8N-SLI Premium i think) and it showed a perfect position in the p180's body with a Ninja, with the Ninja forming a right angle with the two case fans in the top left corner. I also liked the fact that it had a passive heatpipe chipset cooler. Only thing that prevents me from just taking this is:

1. Costs like $60 bucks more than non SLi boards ( I don't need SLi)
2. I have this problem where I need the latest versions of everything: This new AN32 (or whatever) SLi board just came out.

I read about this new version of the Asus SLi board with the Nvidia SLi x16 chipset, but there was only one review that said the board was slower than the predecessor. I don't know if the rest of the board would make it better than the A8n-sli, but i still can't trust one review.

Also there is this non-sli abit board that has a heatpipe chipset cooler, only I see Abit as a pretty crappy motherboard maker, seeming that they dont ever get good reviews compared to the rest.

Recently ive been swaying to the lanparty despite all it's setbacks, chiefly because it offers so much more performance than other boards at the same price.

Can someone help me out here?

I plan on having a really quiet/silent computer that is still getting me the max performance for the price i pay

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:56 pm

My roommate's got an Abit AN8 Ultra, and while he doesn't constantly run it overclocked or anything like that, it's very stable as long as you don't use all of the DIMM slots. It's also capable of overclocking a 3700+ San Diego into FX-55 territory and still being rock stable. Like I said though, he doesn't run it overclocked all the time, but we did run Prime95 for 8 hours or so with no errors.

I don't know what kind of "performance" you're looking for though, it's just a motherboard. What really matters is stability, and after that, features you need.