New Quiet and Powerful Rig with Suspension Troubles

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GavinW

New Quiet and Powerful Rig with Suspension Troubles

Post by GavinW » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:19 am

Hello all. My intent was/is to build a system worthy of taking up a post here at SilentPC, even though i sit squarely in the "Quiet but Silent" front.

My sig has most of the specs. The computer has been rock stable for 2 weeks outside of the case, but once inside it barely wants to boot XP. I removed all uneccesary cards and turned off extra devices in BIOS. It appears that the hard drives are moving at about 1/100th of the regular speed, so this must be something to do with the suspension. Or maybe a SATA cable? Nexus Fans to close? 4 400gig Seagates in two RAID 0 arrays (i know, not the best, but i'm A/V guy so i need them).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gavinwidg ... .dir=/9c5d

The drives are secure to me, they are not going to move or slip out. They are close to or level/90 degrees. I'm reluctantly thinking of removing the suspension which is a problem because the system design relies on it. I guess i could sandwidch stack them with high density foam.

Once this works i'll be posting about all the components with temp readings from an industrial unit and sound recordings and power draws. (i'm real interested to see if this Seasonic S12 dumps too much heat back in and what experiments i can conduct). I also intend to take the silencing much further as i have caught "the bug".

Thanks in advance for any help,
Gavin W

Dirty-Harry

Re: New Quiet and Powerful Rig with Suspension Troubles

Post by Dirty-Harry » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:01 am

GavinW wrote:The computer has been rock stable for 2 weeks outside of the case, but once inside it barely wants to boot XP.
I need more details as to what your problem is. Let me see if I understand what you are trying to say.

1. Your computer has been running fine and stable for 2 weeks.
2. You open the case and XP won't boot and your HDs are suddenly very slow.

Am I correct?

josephclemente

Re: New Quiet and Powerful Rig with Suspension Troubles

Post by josephclemente » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:15 am

GavinW wrote:The computer has been rock stable for 2 weeks outside of the case, but once inside it barely wants to boot XP.
I'd check the motherboard standoffs. If the computer is having problems only inside the case (and cooling is not a problem) it could be something behind the motherboard (like an unused standoff) shorting something out.

GavinW

Post by GavinW » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:11 pm

dirty-harry: it has been fine running on a table. but once i mount all the components and the motherboard inside the cooler master case, it goes funny.

josephclemente: i think that's a good idea. i'll take the whole rig out of the case tonight and see if it works again. i guess i always assumed if something had a short it would not work or spark, i never considered it may malfunction. thanks. :?

GavinW

Post by GavinW » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:15 pm

It appears it was the motherboard. i just received the new replacement and it is working fine, although my overclocking has been significant'y reduced for some reason. but that's for another forum :).

Thanks guys.