New Antec P150 case-PSU DOA or not compatible with my board?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zhenya

New Antec P150 case-PSU DOA or not compatible with my board?

Post by zhenya » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:41 pm

So, just got my P150 case today to migrate my old system over to it. I'd heard about the problems with the PSU but decided to take a chance as the case was exactly what I was looking for anyhow. So built it up, and fired it up once before connecting it to the monitor etc. It worked once, so I turned it off, closed it up, and connected everything up. Now it will only turn on for split second, then turn off. I put my old PSU back in, and everything works fine. Unfortunately with the old PSU the computer is pretty much as loud as it was in the old case! How can I determine if this is an incompatibility with my board - an old Soyo SY-7vba 133u, or a DOA PS? Anyone had any luck with getting Newegg to replace just the PSU? I REALLY don't want to tear this thing back down to send the entire case back. But without a quiet PSU this case is probably a waste of money for me. Thoughts?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:58 pm

Wow, now Soyo? (add that to the list of Asus, Abit, Biostar, BFG and others) Call 1-800-22-antec and ask for extension 302 "Roscoe" and tell him this problem.

It's a (becoming) well-known problem with the Neo HE 430. They have revised models to swap yours for. Just be prepared to be without your PSU for up to a week or two. They don't do advance shipments.

Newegg will so graciously swap your NEOHE 430 for a 'generic model 350watt'.

I've had my case going on 3 weeks now and have gone through a real experience. Search for posts authored by me for more info.

I might be getting a revised model this coming Monday, hopefully that will sort out my problems.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:07 pm

wow thanks! That's actually better news than I was expecting. My system is running on my old PSU right now, so it's not too much problem to go for a while without the new supply. Too bad about the supply - the case is a really well made piece.

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:34 am

The only way to check if it's DOA or incompatible is to try it in another rig.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:23 pm

Ok, I talked to Roscoe today and he referred me here http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm to test my supply. Doing this the fan does in fact come on, but connecting it to my MB with nothing else connected, it doesn't. This would leave me to believe this is a compatibility issue rather than a flat out DOA. Roscoe didn't mention anything about an "update" supply, just that they would replace it. I'm thinking there's a good chance I'll have the same problem with another supply though.