Advice needed - P180 system build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gramkow

Advice needed - P180 system build

Post by Gramkow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Looking for a little advice here....

I've had some really quiet systems over the years, but am currently running on a Shuttle SN25P SFF box. This is not, and will probably never be, even remotely quiet.

So, I've decided to move into a miditower system again. Currently, this is what I expect to build:

Antec P180 black edition case
Antec NeoHE 380 or 430 PSU
Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard
2 x 1GB Kingston PC3200 (moved from old box)
Athlon 64 3700+ (moved from old box)
Inno3D 7800GT w. Zalman VF700-Cu (moved from old box)
160GB Seagate 7200.8 SATA drive (moved from old box)
NEC ND-3540 DVD burner (moved from old box)

Basically, my question is this: I want a case apx. the same size as the P180, black, not neccessarily with a front door. Power supply must be quiet, and preferable modular (as the NeoHE).

The case must be pretty quiet in stock configuration - I don't have the time or the desire to do any major work on it, apart from doing a tidy assembly.

My previous system lived in an Antec TX640B with a Q-Technology QT-400G power supply - and that system was really quiet to my ears - so I'm not shooting for inaudible, but it should be very quiet / muted.

And what about the build quality of the P180 - I've read something about bulging doors? Could a Lian-Li PC7 120mm edition be an alternative?

Thanks for the input.
Gramkow

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:05 am

If you like the TX640, you should look at the TX1050 with the 500W Smart Power PSU, or perhaps the TX1088 with the 480W True Power 2 PSU. They're both based on the well-proven SX1xxx series of cases and have been updated with rear 120mm Tricool fans and the latest PSUs.

BTW, WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:15 am

Check the Power Supplies forum for the latest situation regarding compatibility issues between the Antec NeoHE PSU and ASUS motherboards.

Gramkow

Post by Gramkow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:16 am

Thanks for the welcome.

I've had both the 1030 and 1040 series cases, as well as a Sonata (didn't like that one, way too cramped), 3700BQE and SLK3000B. The TX640B was the one I liked the most of those - mainly because it didn't have a front door, but the Antec TruPower PSU's make too much noise IMO.

I don't have a problem with buying a case and pulling out the PSU (always nice to have a spare PSU lying around), which is what I did with the TX640B (that 400W unit it ships with is too noisy).

Question is - are the Neo380HE or Neo430HE as quiet as the Q-Technology PSU's with 120mm fans? I'm really interested in reducing the no. of power cables, so the modularity looks like a big plus in my book.

The P180 does look sweet though - just hope build quality and thermals are up to scratch. And a Lian Li PC-7 is still a tempting proposition...

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:34 am

I'd avoid any combination of Antec NeoHE and ASUS A8N series motherboards. There have been compatibility issues that I don't think have been completely solved. The ASUS motherboard you have listed is a great board (a bit expensive, but excellent), I would just get a different PSU. A Seasonic S12 is probably the quietest fanned PSU out there today, alebit a little expensive for my tastes.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:37 am

Accidental double post

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 am

the NeoHE is about as silent as PSUs go, however don't worry about silence with it, worry about it working.

check out this thread starting from the fifth page or so.

i have the sli premium mobo and the NeoHE 430 and my computer crashes under load.

Gramkow

Post by Gramkow » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:17 pm

Hmmm. I'm been looking around for an alternative power supply since this Antec PSU mess does not seem like it will be sorted anytime soon.

The current shortlist seems to be:

1. Tagan EasyCon 430
2. Q-Technology Gold QT-3350 (from QuietPC in the UK)
3. Enermax Liberty 400W

Which to get? I'd love to get some sort of modular cabling (as I've stated earlier), but I know for a fact that the QT-3350 is really quiet (to my ears at least), and has sleeved cables (which I'd like to get if I can't find a suitable model with modular cables).

I have been contemplating a Seasonic S12-500, but it's almost 40% more expensive than the models listed above, when buying from a source here in Denmark. I know it's good, but I'm not gonna sleeve the cables myself, and it ain't modular either. Coupled with the price premium, that removes it from my shortlist.

The Tagan is actually the cheapest of the ones listed above, with the Enermax being the most expensive. Not much of a price difference between the three though.

Would the Tagan be a good choice for the P180 - or a good choice in general, or should I go for one of the others instead? I haven't had any experience with Tagan before, but it looks tempting.

Thanks for the input.

justadams

Post by justadams » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 am

>double post<. See my comments below.
Last edited by justadams on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

justadams

Tagan Easycon and P180 - Incompatible!!

Post by justadams » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:42 am

Gramkow wrote:>SNIP<
Would the Tagan be a good choice for the P180 - or a good choice in general, or should I go for one of the others instead? I haven't had any experience with Tagan before, but it looks tempting.

Thanks for the input.
If you have an Antec P180 casing, do not get the Tagan Easycon PSU. The PSU is thicker in width due to the modular implementation and you won't be able to fit it in the PSU chamber with the lower chamber fan sitting there.

I tried forcing it in unfortunately and scratched the PSU and the casing quite a bit.

Also, the Tagan Easycon PSU's fan is on top of the damn unit. It'll heat up the casing/lower chamber for sure + you would have removed the fan if you manage to get the Tagan up and running at this point.

frazered

Post by frazered » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:20 am

corsair 520w hx?

I have just moved to this and been very impressed so far

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page1.html