P180 Build - About to Start Assembly - Final Questions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spiffy102

P180 Build - About to Start Assembly - Final Questions

Post by spiffy102 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm

Got my first 2 of 4 NewEgg shipments. Awaiting 2 other shipments with MB and video card (backordered). Hopefully I will have everything by end of next week.

There are some pro's to this... Instead of one massive 8 hour long build, I'm able to break it up over a week or so. My P180 doesn't seem to have any defects. (Yay) I broke it all down, already taped over the extra holes in the back by the PSU and the VGA cooling holes... Replaced the bottom cage fan with a Yate Loon.

Ok so onto my questions.

1) The PS/drive cage fan. I mounted my YL fan in there - using the included bracket. Is that the best way? That bracket tends to have some potential to rattle - not a lot, but it is a bit loose. I plan to pick up some vacuum tubing this week for the rear and possibly top fan.

2) Order of installation? I read somewhere that you should install the Ninja on the MB outside the case, and then move in. But I don't see how you'd then screw down the MB in a couple locations near the HS. What about the top and rear fans?

TIA :)

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:20 pm

SPCR review has some tips on how to install everything into P180. BTW 8 hours is a huge exaggeration. It only took me 4 hours to move everything into P180 from my old case so 4 hours includes both disassembling old case and putting the stuff into the new one. The only thing I didn't do is tidying up the cables, but it can be done in 30-45 minutes.

1.If you can softmount the fan in the PSU chamber, do it. I'm going to attempt this tomorrow because it does vibrate when I turn up the voltage (I'm temporarily using a spare silenx fan, but it should be the same with any other).

2.Install PSU first, let all the power cables through the opening into the main chamber, then slid the power cables required for the HDDs into HDD chamber. I would also recommend next installing HDDs, plug in both power and IDE/SATA cables. Then install motherboard and optical drives. I'm not sure about fans/motherboard order, I guess it would depend on how close ninja is going to be to the upper back corner of the case.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:32 pm

My Nexus 120mm fan doesn't rattle at all with the front holder... o.o...

and if you are using a Ninja, I would say do it before you put the motherboard in, because doing it with it in will definately be dangerous, since I believe it uses a tension clip to be held in place you are placing force on a motherboard that doesn't have adequate support for such force. Also try connecting the front panel headers too before you put it in, doing it while the MB is in is always a pain in the ass, in my experience. Maybe the IDE/ATA/Floppy connectors too while you're at it.

It took me about 4 hours too, 3 if I wasn't on water cooling.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:48 am

The problem with Ninja is (as I have found out) that if you mount the fan you may partially close the heatsink brackets so mounting it later on to a motherboard may be a pain in the ass. I haven't tried to install it yet, will try tomorrow. I'm doing a complete rehaul of the system - replacing all the fans with YL, replacing Zalman 7K with Ninja and putting S12-600 instead of my old noisetaker, I will also cut out the rear grill as it creates too much turbulence noise. Hopefully I will be done in 5 hours.

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:40 am

I just don't see how it is possible to screw down the MB once the Ninja is mounted to it. It is so large and the placement of the screws does not seem to be conducive to mounting the Ninja first. (Even though I definitely want to)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:43 am

Ninja was installed on my board in my 3700AMB after taking the motherboard out. Ditto for the P180. No problem at all.

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:33 am

Shadowknight wrote:Ninja was installed on my board in my 3700AMB after taking the motherboard out. Ditto for the P180. No problem at all.
There's really no problem getting screws down in the top-most rear and top-most center screw mounts? Granted I do not have my A8N32 yet, or my Ninja - but from Mike's P180 pictures... Well... looking at where those screw mounts are in my case, it just looks to be um, impossible. I'll be more than happy to be wrong here. I'm not looking forward to that part of the install.

(Oh the 8 hours comment was including OS installation - my last build did not go easy.. Had nasty problems getting ACPI working right. On this build, I have the added challenge of an Areca 1220 to install / configure, and that with formatting of the drives - could take a ton of time)

Thanks guys.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:27 pm

Zero problems putting in every screw in the motherboard. Don't worry about it. Remember, the Ninja is TALL, not so wide.

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:41 pm

Thanks Shadow. My remaining HW shows up Monday (PS, raid card, Ninja), and video card / MB on Tuesday. Should have everything together Tuesday night.