Assembly complete - concerned about temps

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spiffy102

Assembly complete - concerned about temps

Post by spiffy102 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:21 am

Hey everyone.

I put my P180 / 4800+ / Ninja system together yesterday.

In BIOS (no load) after a few hours of running, the CPU is showing a temperature of 55C. Ambient is about 24C. So I'm getting a 30C temp rise at no load, and my YL 12CM fan is running at 1300 rpms.

I'm concerned that my heatsink mounting didn't go well - and that I may need to completely rip everything apart and re-mount the Ninja. (As well as lap it - because to be honest the surface was not as perfect as it should have been - but it looked decent enough to me)

So my question is, given the temp rise on a 4800+ running passively with only that YL fan running in the rear of the P180 and the top vent open to allow fresh air... Do you think I have a real CPU-HS heat transfer problem? (I haven't installed windows yet so I can't test under load just yet)

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:30 am

You could have a bad mounting of the heatsink with an irregular surface that needs lapping or you could have a bios that incorrectly reports the temperature. If you try reseating it and that does not help then you can try another heatsink if you have one. If the temps go down it needs lapping. If nothing seems to help your bios is probably just incorrectly reporting the temps. I had one that reported all the way to 90C but the computer never crashed. I eventually replaced the board because it was annoying. Same system new board ran 45C under load.

spiffy102

Post by spiffy102 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:12 am

Part of the problem is with the Ninja - I HAVE to remove the MB from the case to re-mount it. And if I do that, I might as well lap the Ninja. (That's a lot of work and I would rather avoid it if my temp really is ok)

I'm looking for comments - and at this point I'm going to install WinXP 64 (after my RAID5 disks are done initializing - man Areca makes a nice board)... Once in Windows I'll be able to do more testing.

I'm wondering if BIOS is reporting one temperaure - if other programs (MBM for instance) might report a more accurate temperature? I vaguely recall people saying things about BIOS temps being inaccurate.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:59 pm

Hi,
Is the Ninja HOT to the touch? Then the temps are real! Also, in BIOS the CPU is always working at high loads. MBM and Speedfan show the same temps as the BIOS. I think your temps are OK but to be sure you need OS.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:31 pm

i gave up on trusting bios temps a long long time ago. the only reason i ever look at them now is to compare differences on the same motherboard. sure the temp is probably wrong, but it will be wrong consistantly as long as i dont change the motherboard.

shogo33

Post by shogo33 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:28 pm

hmm..thats strange that u're getting 50c plus after a few hrs of use..

On my ninja with the nexus 120mm, i get 30c idle and 45c load with a few hrs of quake 4 use..

I dont think its the Ninja, are u getting enough airflow into the case? If the room is warm and therefore warm air gets in then your cpu temps will be higher..

With hot days here in AUstralia, i do get temp rises when my room is 28c +...where the temp is 37c idle and 49-50c load...

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:05 pm

Was ambient inside or outside the case? Either way.. you should load it (eg. Prime95) and see what the difference is between idle and load. All things being equal.. it should give you an indication of how well the Ninja is performing. (Use MBM5)

Like JimX states.. the BIOS will read a loaded condition. If your CPU is actually hot at idle, your case temps would be higher than normal too. Pick up a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer ($10) and thread the wired thermistor into your case and place it next to your heatsink, in the airflow. It's a better indication of your temps.. and they're fun to play with :)

ddd

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:47 pm

do you have the AMD cool'n'quiet drivers installed ? they help a lot on temps.