Lian Li V1000 PSU compatibility

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zest

Lian Li V1000 PSU compatibility

Post by zest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Guys I need some help.....

I Have bought a Lian Li V1000 and have learned that my OCZ powerstream 520 doesn't fit. And the PSU compartment is riveted, I be lived i had srews an could be removed to accommodate a log er PSU but this is clearly not the case. So I either cut the case or get a new pPSU. Does anyone know is a Seasonic S12 fits L in a ian Li V1000 .

Please help

ott

Post by ott » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:12 am

Drill out the rivets for the first panel. Small bit just drill the head off, not through- try it; its easy.
Some people flip the psu and route the cables behing and make a new hole for some cables. If u don't need many HDD then take out the drive cage in the bottom- OCZ fits no prblem. I can almost and probably will, fit the ocz in with the 2 cages but its tight as you know.

Theres info on the net about modding or cable management on v1000.

Good luck! (Seasonic, Fortron, etc. =good ;) fits but u must cut a whole for the vent. I switched the front fan to nexus, and taped all the holes of the front bottom cage with electric tape. Now the air has to pass over the drives and exit drive cage #2. Thinking about it, cutting a hole makes a lot of sense, using the psu to suck top floor air out.

review:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?pageID= ... Go&cID=704

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:01 am

Drilling out the vertical panel is very easy, like ott suggested. I would de-install my mobo to safeguard it from flying bits of metal, but otherwise that's pretty straightforward and an easy mod, even if you don't have much modding experience. Removing the drive cage closest to the PSU is also advisable unless you need it. If you ever want to restore the case to it's original configuration, all you need to do is put some small nuts and bolts in place of the rivets you drilled out.

I don't agree on the necessity to cut holes for the PSU. I covered all the bottom vents and closed of the hole between the PSU/hdd and the motherboard section. That way, the PSU is forced to suck air in through the open front, thus cooling your harddisks without a front fan: a P180-style bottom section in other words.

If you have the original V1000 it might be wise to cut out the grill for the back fan while you have the parts out of the case: it is quite restrictive. After that it's simply a matter of suspending your harddisks, quieting the other fans, etc :D

zest

Post by zest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Thanx for the good info...
I understand it is a pretty simple mod. at at the Psu enclosure but the hard drive cage may be an issue cos' I have 3 hard drives at present and may want to add a 4th, 2 DVD drives, Card reader, Fan controller and a Floppy. Also I have a 7800GTX with an Artic 5 rev3 a TV Card and the CPU water cooled.

Tell me, Does the Seasonic S-12 fit in this case without an mods, If so I will try and exchange the Powerstream for a S-12 which I am really impressed with.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:30 pm

It should fit just fine, since it follows ATX dimension spec (the OCZ does not). However, I'd remove the vertical divider regardless... better airflow that way. Definately get that S12 though!