Building an extremly small file server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ackelind

Building an extremly small file server

Post by Ackelind » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:01 pm

I live in a very small apartment and I've made my computer silent to the point that I can hear my two Samsung Spinpoint P120 harddrives. The only thing that would make it quieter would be an enclosed 2.5"-drive, but my need for storage has increased if anything.

A few days ago i found a small "compartment" behind a panel in a wall that lies as far away from my living space as possible. It was cramped with stuff, but there was also some space in it. This would be the only place where I could set up a small file server in order too keep the noise away from me.

Since size is a big deal here, I was thinking of building one based on a mini-ITX system. Are they powerful enough for just being used as a file server?

This is my thoughts of how to build the system:
VIA EPIA ML8000A, C3/Nehemiah 800Mhz Mini-ITX
256MB cheap DDR RAM
Sunsway/ST Lab PCI SATA RAID 4P, SiL3114 (cheapest 4-port SATA controller card. I don't think I will use any kind of raid since it will make me lose hard drive space, which I cannot afford)
Cooler Master 4 in 3 module, to store the hard drives in.
FSP 300W PSU, cheapest PSU that i trust.

The case (if any) would have to be home made. It doesn't have to look pretty, so basically just a panel to nail everything to would suffice.

The fan in the module would be undervolted or swapped, and the fan in the FSP PSU hardwired to 5V and/or changed to something quieter. Noise isn't critical since it will actually be stored IN the wall of my compartment, but it should not be louder than it has to be.

The two hard drives from my current rig will be moved, and two new P120 250GB drives will be bought when more funds come by.

I haven't settled for any OS and server program, but I am thinking something like Win98, since I'm not really into linux/unix. I've never used anything else than Win/DOS in my days.

I would like to make it "integrated" with my system, so that the hard drives would be mounted like logical ones and thus work exacly like the drives were in my main rig with access to files and such.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:05 pm

This might be suitable for your needs. It will also be much cheaper than a whole system, and not a lot slower, removing the cover and hooking up a fan might do the trick.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/SC101.php

I had a look on Komplett.se but couldnt find it (or the UK site).

This review suggests that there would be no need for a fan, I am dubious, especially if it has no free air around it for circulation.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1875261,00.asp

There are many other reviews, but I didnt spend long looking.

Andy

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:34 pm

my file server runs on a PII 300 just fine. This was the lowest power CPU I had and I worried about speed but I've never had problems on a Gigabit network. Not worth the wattage to move up to my spare Duron 800. I do mostly HTPC stuff with it. You might want to do a JBOD or just a bunch of disks array. This allows you to span your drive across several physical drives. Some controlers allow this and it is a software option in Windows 2000 or Linux.

Oh, there are also fanless external brick type power supplies for Mini-itx systems that would not add to the size or the noise of the system. Check out Logicsupply.com to get an idea.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:10 pm

hmm... I'd be very reluctant to run Win98 on a fileserver, as you need an OS that can run safely and stably for extended periods with a minimum of intervention, and Win9x is just too flaky for this IMHO. Also, FAT32 isn't very efficient when you have large partitions and is much less reliable than a journalling filesystem like NTFS, and Win98 will get you into some awkward 48-bit LBA issues with 250GB drives anyway.

I can understand your reluctance to dabble with Linux if all your previous experience is with Windows, but I'd at least go with Windows 2000 as a minimum, although WinXP Pro would be even better as it was designed from the outset with possible remote (and headless) operation in mind.

The hardware you've specified is easily powerful enough and should do you fine, although a NAS box such as the Netgear would be cheaper, simpler to set up and probably just as effective for your intended use. I've always re-used old redundant PC hardware for this kind of thing, but I'm a cheapskate... :)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 pm

I have (had) several VIA EPIA boards (5000, 2xV5000, M10000, ME6000). I also have an old SCSI controller made by Diamond (?Fireport?) and a PATA RAID controller (Highpoint RocketRAID 133). For some reason those controllers don't work in the those EPIA boards. They work in all the (m)ATX mobos (5 different mobo's) I had for the last few years just fine. So you might want to check if the RAID controller and the EPIA board you selected are compatible with eachother.

For a cheap and small PSU you might want to look at the FSP300-60GLS. Its a mATX PSU. I got one yesterday for €45. The stock fan is too loud (80x80x15mm), but I was expecting to need to mod it anyway. Efficiency when drawing ~50W AC is almost as good as for the Seasonic SS-301HT (OEM) I also have. The difference is only 1W. More news about this one in a seperate thread later this week. (Once I have slept and the batteries for my camerea are recharged.)

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:19 am

I looked at the netgear and actually found that it was available where I live!
The only downside is that it only takes PATA-drives, and I have two SATA-drives I would like to use. I could sell them, but I would lose much of the money there, even though it might be cheaper than building a small file server.

Anyone tried it performance-wise? And does anyone know if there are some way to convert a SATA-drive to use with a PATA interface?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:53 am

does anyone know if there are some way to convert a SATA-drive to use with a PATA interface?
They do exist:

SATA->IDE adapter

SATA->IDE adapter UK vendor

US Vendor

Another US Vendor

Yet Another US Vendor

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:29 am

Sorry about that, I didnt realise you had SATA drives.

The performance is not bad for a 100Mb network device, however I dont have any figures.

As far as the SATA-PATA converters are concerned I dont know if they would fit in the box, if they dont, you could always mod it, and take the lid off to gain extra space.

There is another option still, you can use external USB-2 caddy's (there are many that now support SATA), however you will need 2, and USB-2 is not that quick and has large overheads, it is also limited to a maximum of 5m data cable lengths.

Firewire is yet another option, I am not sure of the maximum cable length, it has lower overheads, and is faster in the real world.

Andy

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:02 am

I don't think USB or Firewire would be realistic. The cable length would be around 10-15 meters in order to get the drives as far away from my living space as possible, and into my wardrobe in a drawer beside my clothes :)

A friend of mine, who lives in the same apartment complex as me, is also going for a fileserver. He was interested in buying my hard drives, so maybe that is a solution, even if I have to sell them kind of cheap.

Is there any limitations to how big drives the Netgear can handle?
I'm thinking 2*400 or 2*500GB in order not to have to buy too many of the Netgear enclosured. I wonder if those slightly louder drives will be heard through the door of my wardrobe and out.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:46 am

Ackelind wrote: Is there any limitations to how big drives the Netgear can handle?
I'm thinking 2*400 or 2*500GB in order not to have to buy too many of the Netgear enclosured. I wonder if those slightly louder drives will be heard through the door of my wardrobe and out.
The specs linked to by andyb indicate "Compatible with ATA6 or above IDE (Parallel ATA) hard disks," and the bumpf also states "just slide in one or two 3.5” IDE disk drives of any capacity" so I'd imagine any current large-capacity PATA drive would be OK.

You won't get the best value for money in terms of $£€/GB with 400/500GB drives though as you would with a bigger number of smaller drives (which might also be individually quieter and run cooler), and buying cheaper drives might offset the cost of another Netgear box, but that's your call... :wink:

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:45 pm

I looked into that netgear NAS device when I was in a similar position. I'd do some research on it first, because the reviews I found were pretty awful causing me to ultimately go in another direction. The major negatives that I remember were:
--insufficient cooling
--compatible only with newer ATA-6 drives
--uses a proprietary file system (meaning you can't pop a FAT32 or NTFS drive in there, you have to format it first)

I'd reconsider your file-server option (but use something other than windows 98!)

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:43 am

It would seem,and maybe there's reason why not,you could use a regular Mini-ATX mobo,a Sempron 754 Palermo chip,whichever size,you will find most mini atx,socket 754 boards handle 2 SATA drives...some handle 4. If PCIe is okay,you can often find 4 SATA ports and maybe Gigalan to connect it all to a home network. The Palermo chip,combined with a Ninja is a great basis for a very low noise unit. At the max you'd have a PSU fan and a 120mm case fan at around 700 rpm. Living in a little closet,that should be silent to your ears....not expensive either.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:52 am

...and Win2k,even as FAT 32 is a lot more reliable than 98,yet the look and feel are almost the same. I prefer it to XP which seems alien to me.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:30 am

Remember reading about this a while ago and thought it was kind of neat. Might give you some ideas.

Project Udat