First AMD build. Issues? Solved + Log

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JimX
Friend of SPCR

First AMD build. Issues? Solved + Log

Post by JimX » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:16 am

Hello everyone!

I ordered a P150 yesterday and tomorrow I'll go get the rest:
Asus A8N-VM CSM
AMD 3500+ or 3700+
Zalman 7000AlCu
2x 512MB Kingston Value RAM

I got yesterday:
NEC 4550 DVD-R
WD250KS

I AM expecting problems with the PSU, but I have a brand new SmartPower from a friend's Sonata II, that didn't work with an Intel board. Will that work?
Venice or San Diego? Price difference is only 12 euros, so I guess it's the latter.
I read that the board needs a BIOS update to work properly, and I'll probably change the N/B cooler with a NB47. This worries me a bit, as the board does not undervolt.
The Zalman will be modded with a Nexus. I think that the Ninja would not be a good choice for this hot chipset. I'm not a Thermalright fan, as it only cools the board in 2 directions.

Anything I didn't think of?
Last edited by JimX on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

stupid

Post by stupid » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:58 pm

The Venince core is newer, it adds SSE3 support.

If you opt for the Scythe Ninja instead of the Zalman, it can cool your CPU passively. It can cool a X2 3800+ passively in a case with decent ventillation like the P150. Then again you're worried about airflow to the NB HSF.

As for the montherboard I would get the MSI K8NGM2-FID Socket 939 because it also has S-Video and Component out if want to connect it to your TV. It also supports 8 speakers rather than 6 on the Asus, but that's a neglible selling point. Oh yeah, it's red too if that makes any difference.

Since all boards that uses the 6100/6150 do not overclock very well. I would choose the 3700+ over the 3500+. The price difference is only $33 here in the US, but I don't know the difference in Europe.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:52 pm

When you say passively, do you mean like playing battlefield 2 for 5 hours on high detail passively? or like playing Pong without sound hooked up on your black and white console tv passively?

Spin those paddles !! :shock:

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:03 am

Thanks stupid, I do prefer red, but the MSI is not yet available here. The only thing missing on 6150 boards for me is S/PDIF out, but I have a USB Creative Live thing that can do the job.

Going shopping now.

Erssa

Re: First AMD build. Issues?

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:11 am

JimX wrote:Hello everyone!

I ordered a P150 yesterday and tomorrow I'll go get the rest:
Asus A8N-VM CSM
AMD 3500+ or 3700+
Zalman 7000AlCu
2x 512MB Kingston Value RAM

I got yesterday:
NEC 4550 DVD-R
WD250KS

I AM expecting problems with the PSU, but I have a brand new SmartPower from a friend's Sonata II, that didn't work with an Intel board. Will that work?
Venice or San Diego? Price difference is only 12 euros, so I guess it's the latter.
I read that the board needs a BIOS update to work properly, and I'll probably change the N/B cooler with a NB47. This worries me a bit, as the board does not undervolt.
The Zalman will be modded with a Nexus. I think that the Ninja would not be a good choice for this hot chipset. I'm not a Thermalright fan, as it only cools the board in 2 directions.

Anything I didn't think of?
Sounds pretty much like my rig. No need to worry about the NB cooler, even the crappy stock heatsink is passive and feels like it's pretty loose there. Zalman will no doubt cool better then it.

I have the Zalman running at 1500rpm and it's pretty silent in my case, but nexus breeze is more silent then P150 in that aspect (damped, no openings at front of the case). Enough to keep my x2 3800+ at 44 idle with c'n'q. I have downloaded the unofficial 0610 bios, which from what I have heard would reduce the temperature readings by 10c, since it's supposedly pretty f*cked with the 0506 and earlier version. It seems there is official version now, that I checked so I install it right away and say what happens to the temps...
Edit: self-censorship. Cannot tell, if there is any newer versions since the asus servers are down, like they seem to be most of the time.

Stupid: I don't know if the 8 speakers rather then 6 is actually a benefit. Gains from 8 speakers to 6 is pretty close to none, since only like 1% of movies support 8. Besides the SoundMax solution is a HD azalia solution similar to those that intel have. It may very well be that the sound quality and cpu usage of the Asus are better then those in MSI.
Last edited by Erssa on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:18 am

Thanks Erssa!

It's exactly the info I needed! I hope (don't remember) Asus boards have BIOS update from Windows, I hate removing FDD from the Zalman case.

Jim

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:24 am

JimX wrote:Thanks Erssa!

It's exactly the info I needed! I hope (don't remember) Asus boards have BIOS update from Windows, I hate removing FDD from the Zalman case.

Jim
It has update from windows. Btw the update that it downloaded was for the updater itself not a new bios :oops: . Well maybe I try the 0601, since the only problem I have heard it has, has to do with RAID arrays, and I don't have raid.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 am

I will download the update and tonight I'll install Windows. I hope the case comes tomorrow, I ordered it from France on Tuesday.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 am

JimX wrote:I will download the update and tonight I'll install Windows. I hope the case comes tomorrow, I ordered it from France on Tuesday.
As I said the asus servers seem to be down and they can be that for the whole day. If the servers aren't up by the time you have installed the windows, you can find 0610 bios from http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/198 if you wish to install it. I haven't installed it and the notes don't say anything about the temperature readings, so the part I told you should be considered a rumor until I can confirm it myself. I have not go to University, but I'll check later how it turned up with you.

If you decice to install it, you can compare it yourself the temperatures to those reported by the stock bios on your board. If you do, please report back here ;).

Edit: I decided to install it anyway :).
MB temp dropped from 41c to 38c, cpu now reads 38c instead of 46c that it was before I started to update, PWR temps down from 46c to 38c also.

I had some CMOS error on load up so I have defaults now set in. So I will have to check the bios again.

stupid

Post by stupid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:10 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:When you say passively, do you mean like playing battlefield 2 for 5 hours on high detail passively? or like playing Pong without sound hooked up on your black and white console tv passively?

Spin those paddles !! :shock:
Yep, many people here at SPCR posted that they are cooling their X2 3800+ or slower CPU passively, even with a 7800GT. But the case should have decent ventillation, and no overclocking. There are posters who boast that they are running a X2 4600+ passively, which is a bit extreme for me.

You can find such posts in the CPU Cooling section where people are asking for a HSF recommendation.

stupid

Re: First AMD build. Issues?

Post by stupid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:15 am

Erssa wrote: Stupid: I don't know if the 8 speakers rather then 6 is actually a benefit. Gains from 8 speakers to 6 is pretty close to none, since only like 1% of movies support 8.
I didn't say 8 speakers are better than 6 speakers:
As for the montherboard I would get the MSI K8NGM2-FID Socket 939 because it also has S-Video and Component out if want to connect it to your TV. It also supports 8 speakers rather than 6 on the Asus, but that's a neglible selling point.
As I stated it is a negligible (spelled it wrong the first time) selling point.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:37 am

Peace boys!

Well, all good news for me! The case will be here in 3 hours, Windows are installed, and most important, the Smartpower works with the board. Temps in BIOS are 38c CPU and 31c M/B, with Zalman at lowest setting, and seem about right to me.

Jim

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 am

I updated the bios to 0610 and I am now testing with CrystalCpuID, Speedfan and Prime95.

I have now ran dual prime with large FTT (maximum temp and power draw) for 2 hours at stock clocks 2000mhz. First hour I lowered the voltage to 1.15V, when it proved to be stable I lowered the vCore to 1.1v and it has been running stable for and hour at it. So that's 2 hours prime stable at 1.1V with my x2 3800+. So no need to worry about the lack of vCore in bios, you can lower the vCore with CrystalCpuID, SPCR happens to have a good article on it. As for my temps..
When idle (1000Mhz and 1.1V) they were 37c cpu, 38c pwr (mosfets), 38c mobo (chipset). Cpu fan @ 1500rpm. Now after 2 hours of dual prime95: 44c cpu, 45c pwr, 48c mobo. Speedfan has raised the zalman fan up to 1700 and psu could have probably ramped up a notch, however it's hard to tell since zalman fan is noisier. I started having loudish coil whine as soon as I started prime95, suggesting that my psu and mobo aren't getting along well. I had previously had some coil whine in different circumstances that I have mentioned in 2 different threads.

Atm the comp is loud enough for me to not feel comfortable sleeping next to it at these sound levels, but that it is a problem since my computer is mostly idle when I sleep. When I turn the cpu fan off with Speedfan I can hear only the psu fan, the noise it is making isn't disturbing at all. So with a better cooler, say SI-120 with nexus 12cm @7v, I could probably dual prime and not be disturbed by the noises. Temps would probably drop few degrees from the 44c as well. The exhaust air from the psu feels warmish. Remember that the psu is the only exhaust for air in my case.

JimX: I recommend you try the CrystalCpuID to undervolt you cpu. You definately shouldn't have heat issues with your cpu.
stupid wrote:It also supports 8 speakers rather then 6 on Asus, but that's a neglible selling point.
I have seen some reviews count the number of extra channels as a benefit for MSI and list it as a negative point for Asus. If you look at the definition of word "rather" from dictionary it can say for example:
1. More readily; preferably: I'd rather go to the movies.
2. With more reason, logic, wisdom, or other justification.

That would imply to me, that it is better. But what do I know, English isn't my native language. Anyway no need to get defensive mate :).

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:54 am

JimX wrote:Peace boys!

Well, all good news for me! The case will be here in 3 hours, Windows are installed, and most important, the Smartpower works with the board. Temps in BIOS are 38c CPU and 31c M/B, with Zalman at lowest setting, and seem about right to me.

Jim
When you get the computer please tell which bios gives those temps. You can clearly see the difference the case cooling does to the M/B temp. Your is 7c cooler then mine is at idle. Is that with the zalman chipset heatsink? Atm my M/B temp is 48c after 2,5 hours of dual prime. If your machine has the official 0506 bios, expect the temps to drop :).

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 am

I am formatting a partition and can't restart, so I installed Belarc Advisor. BIOS version is 0403, Oct 5 2005.
Temps from Speedfan are CPU 37, M/B 31 same as before. Zalman at lowest setting at 1300 rpm. NO case yet, it's on my desk.

My infrared sensor reports Southbridge temp at 61c. I think it needs a HS there too!

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:26 am

Oops, BSOD #1! I knew I should stick to Intel! :lol:

Seriously, is it this Forceware Network Access Manager? I knew about the Firewall problem and didn't install it.

BSOD #2

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:35 am

You can check Windows services to find out whether the firewall is installed or not. I didn't know about it and spent an hour trying to fix networking issues that weren't there.

I did not even get my board to post with bios 0403... well, to be exact, it only POSTed when I left the harddisk disconnected (Maxtor DM10 250 Gb). Kinda hard to get BSOD without Windows, but your stability issues might well be bios related. I loaded the bios update on a bootable CD (floppy? what's that?) and have not had a problem since.

My stock northbridge cooler was extremely loose, how's yours? I kept the heatsink, I only replaced the standard springs with stiffer ones. Never checked the southbridge, but it ran Prime95 stable for 24 hours... good enough for me.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:57 am

Well I uninstalled all Network Access Manager files, and still got another 2 BSODs. Your problems were Maxtor related, mine is something else. Maxtor has issued an announcement about a Microsoft fix for HD problems some days ago, by the way.

What about this AsusUpdate thing? It says "Sorry, there's no proper BIOS image files on the server!". What is proper????? I'll just do what you did with a boot CD.

Yes teejay, NB is VERY loose. I'll put a Zalman on the NB and use the HS for the SB.

The case just arrived and I tried the NeoHE and it didn't work but this was expected. So the NeoHE goes to the P180 and the Smartpower stays with this one.

This is going to be a loooooooong night! :(

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 pm

JimX wrote:Yes teejay, NB is VERY loose. I'll put a Zalman on the NB and use the HS for the SB.
If the heatsink's loose, maybe the northbridge is overheating? This could well be the cause of the instability.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 pm

I wish it was that easy! :( No, I touched under the motherboard and it's cool. Strange, a cool northbridge and a hotter southbridge (64c now). We Intel fanboys expect the opposite! :?

I'm downloading a new BIOS version now, that came out yesterday. 0702. I guess that is why the Asus site is very slow today.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:48 pm

JimX wrote:Your problems were Maxtor related, mine is something else. Maxtor has issued an announcement about a Microsoft fix for HD problems some days ago, by the way.
Nope, same thing happened with a new Samsung disk & a older WD sata. As soon as I updated the bios, I got it to post. Will check that latest bios, who knows what it might fix 8)

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:48 pm

Qviri the NB heatsink is loose on all a8n-vm csm boards.

JimX: Nah, Asus site sucks @ss. It's out of service most of the time and slow when it's up. Btw I uninstalled the Network Access Manager (firewall) as well, I prefer windows firewall. When AsusUpdate says "Sorry, there's no proper BIOS image files on the server!", it means, that the server is at it's usual state, which is down.
Last edited by Erssa on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Ah ok Erssa! Not very encouraging...

So I installed the 0702 and now I have no USB going in Windows! No mouse, no keyboard! What now? Reformat?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Oh no, not USB issues again... Well I suggest you start by trying powering off the entire system, meaning either using the switch in psu or pulling the power cable off. If it doesn't work remove the battery from bios and do the clear CMOS thing with the jumper. Where did you get the 0702? I want it too.

Edit: nevermind I found it :)

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:07 pm

Why weren't you here when i needed you????? Posting in Gallery? :) You damn Finnish poser you.

OK, I reinstalled Windows and things are looking better now. Tip one: first check for problems, then start installing programs and updates. Tip two: be very careful on installing nVidia software (less is more). Tip three: check deeper in the fora for problems. I only read one post here and one in Ars.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 pm

JimX wrote:Why weren't you here when i needed you????? Posting in Gallery? :) You damn Finnish poser you.

OK, I reinstalled Windows and things are looking better now. Tip one: first check for problems, then start installing programs and updates. Tip two: be very careful on installing nVidia software (less is more). Tip three: check deeper in the fora for problems. I only read one post here and one in Ars.
Yeah I saw Nici's post and then I started to poke inside my case. I had to touch the sb myself. It is pretty hot, but Asus must have come to the conclusion that I doens't hurt, since it has no heatsink. My dust filter was full of dust so had to clean it too. I'll be here now for a while checking up more frequently, incase you run into more trouble :).

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:32 pm

Things are really looking good now! I don't need you anymore...

...before the next BSOD! :D

Edit: Cool&Quiet dropped temps to 29c CPU. Now I'm impressed!

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:40 am

After running 2 x CPU Burn for an hour, everything is stable finally, but the temps reported with the new BIOS are suspicious. Too low to be real, and rising too slow.

No case, ambient 21c, Zalman 1350 RPM.
Speedfan: CPU 36c, M/B 32c.
Radio Shack Infrared thermometer: Zalman base, near CPU: 33c, N/B HS: 34c, S/B:61c.

The S/N of the Neo HE in the P150 is S05110053499. In the Asus A8N32-SLI article Devon and MikeC report that it should work. The warranty sticker was cut, so I guess that means improved, but still not working.

Another thing I noticed is that RAM is reported as 960MB, instead of 1024MB. I tried another pair, still 960.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 am

JimX wrote:After running 2 x CPU Burn for an hour, everything is stable finally, but the temps reported with the new BIOS are suspicious. Too low to be real, and rising too slow.

No case, ambient 21c, Zalman 1350 RPM.
Speedfan: CPU 36c, M/B 32c.
Radio Shack Infrared thermometer: Zalman base, near CPU: 33c, N/B HS: 34c, S/B:61c.

The S/N of the Neo HE in the P150 is S05110053499. In the Asus A8N32-SLI article Devon and MikeC report that it should work. The warranty sticker was cut, so I guess that means improved, but still not working.

Another thing I noticed is that RAM is reported as 960MB, instead of 1024MB. I tried another pair, still 960.
My idle temps were 34c for cpu this morning, 38c for NB. Btw your RAM is reported as 960MB, because your IGP is taking a 64MB chunk of it.
Is your NB temp with a zalman heatsink? Or is that 31c with the flimsy stock heatsink?

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:10 am

Flimsy stock, I waited just in case I returned it today. Thanks for the RAM info.

Idle is CPU 30c, M/B 31c, C&Q enabled.

Now everything goes in the case!

Edit: I had some springs from an NB47 here and added them to the springs of the NB HS plastic thingies to make them tighter. It worked perfectly, so no need for a Zalman HS. As for the SB, the Zalman is too large, so I have to look for something smaller, or cut something to size.