4200 dualie, Asrock dualsata, and Zalman Res1

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

4200 dualie, Asrock dualsata, and Zalman Res1

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:43 pm

I have the chip in my hand. I almost wet my pants holding it. Oh shoot, I think I just did. It is so beautiful. Thrilling.

Now, the board is on its way from Newegg.com.

I have some big questions to ask the general populace here.

First big question:

Should I get rid of my big Blue boy, the zalman reserator and go 120mm nexus style?

Some would say this is dumB with a capital "B". (pronounced then, dum-BAH). Why would I toss one of the best spcr things in existence? Well, for that I say. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Has anyone ever dealt with this thing? It has the worst method of hose exit/entering of anything I have seen in a water cooling setup. The hoses connect through terribly machined chrome things that weigh a pound each and fit in a pci slot. Note that the pci slot is so bulked up then it removes the possiblity of things being near it, and it wasnt supposed to do that. The chrome "compression" fittings did leak a miniscule amount on the bottom of my counter. Yes they did. And, I surgically cut with a razor blade at a perfect 90 degree angle with no jaggies the tubing, no kinks, long flowing curves no sharp turns. yet one of them was too tight and apparently sprung a leak. the Leak is gone now for some reason. It just stopped after a few months, must be due to moving a hose or some part. Anyways, I would have to buy new hoses and such, not too big of a problem, just irritating to fix such a machine and get it going again.

Not to mention the fact that you can NEVER move the unit ever. how can you move a unit that needs 2 people yet you live alone most of the time? the tower is huge and heavy and the lines soft and squishy, and short. fans are permanently stuck inside.

So, peeps tell me: the res1 Plus, the black thing, has quick release. Now I wonder if I can partially go from boy blue to mr black partially. Like, get the quick connects to fit and such on the old tower. I dont want leaks, so I dont want to mess with fittings TOO much you know? Anyone that has res1 Plus, I hope you can give some advice. I will probably partially double post in water cooling forums about opinions on the res1 Plus.

I know that the cpu has the scythe ninja and the xp-120, both fitted with a 120mm nexus are silent. That would be a nice simple transition. THe vid card options are terrible here. I dont really see anything substantial for recommendations in the cool and quiet vga section for a hotter card to make it silent. 9800 pro all-in-wonder currently. in 7-8 months a x1900 aiw card. I have read thousands of posts, but I see nothing that really universally fixes a vga card. I do not like zalman HSF solutions, I always find them to be noisier than others claim. Also, I use a lot of my expansion slots, the more the merrier, so anything that prevents the use of one of them is goign to hurt if I also keep the reserator1 blue boy going (needs one slot to exit/enter its hoses).

Should I go air cool? Will it be as silent? I have a 130nm Newcastle 2.0ghz setup right now on the zalman. I am using an SLK3700BQE with the psu swapped out for a Phantom 350, one Papst 120 mm fan on the rear and a spinpoint 80 Samsung 120 gb hd (Nidec) as my solo drive. Also have a pioneer retail boxed dvd dual layer guy, I have a lot of good stuff now, even an Audigy 2zs, a second pci vid card, passive Matrox 550 in there... I will be buying that Ageia PPU one day when they put it out this year... so all of that jammed in there is what I will be using in my new dual core setup.

Will fans be just as silent? I dont care about just as cool, I believe that people baby their cpu and gpu's too much, so I dont mind it getting a bit warm, I just want to make it air cooled and silent.

I dread having to flush my water system, recut all my tubing, wait 2-3 days with the power off water test.... but if it is the best way, I'll stick-with-it.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:57 pm

You didn't mention what motherboard you have, which complicates things. I personally say that if your motherboard has got the room, use a Nexus + XP 120. I went from an EXOS Aluminum with 3 M1As fanswapped (normally only one would be on at low speed) to what I just said, and it definately is quieter.

I had a Reserator once, and after replacing the pump 3x due to the pump eventually making a loud BANGING sound constantly, finally got rid of it.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:20 pm

i think he has the Asrock 939 dual SATAII

its what is in his title. i personally really hate this mobo and cant wait to get rid of it

~RaNDoM

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Oh, i was looking for a specific model #.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Yes the DualsataII 939 board from asrockamerica.com

Why do you hate it? It is much enjoyed by many!

I am considering dismantling the zalman tower... so I figure when it happens, that's the time to make the move either way.

I would put the newer gpu heatsink on while I am it. Put new hoses, sharka computers from the zalman page has most of the spare parts. Zalman said that on the phone I found out.

Tic toc tic toc where will the aluminum drop?