Strange noise from the harddisk (any ideas?) Is this normal?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cncn

Strange noise from the harddisk (any ideas?) Is this normal?

Post by cncn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:24 am

Hi,

I just bought a Dell Dimensions 5150. I can hear the normal pops and clicks from the harddisk, however sometimes it makes a hissing sound as explained below. I opened the computer case and identified the harddisk as the one making this noise.

I can actually make the hissing sound happen. I have a Terminator 3 screen saver. Every time I preview this screen saver, after about 30 to 60 seconds, the sound happens. As soon as I move the mouse to get out of preview mode, the sound stops.

Also, sometimes when I am using Internet Explorer the sound happens. Other times, when the system is idle (this is random).

I decided to run some benchmarks (3DMark2001, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, and AquaMark) and the sound did not happen once.

It is worth noting that I have only 256 Mb of memory (will buy more later), so there is a lot of paging and all the pops and clicks are what I would expect.

If I knew any better, I would say that the system is telling the harddisk to write to some place it cannot write, or some special really fast area of the harddisk. But I know that the harddisk cache does not make a sound, or does it?

Any ideas? Should I keep the computer or return it?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:13 am

Return it (if you can). Hard disk cache should not/does not make any sound.

gud4u

Post by gud4u » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:47 pm

Hard drive cache is solid state, thus no intrinsic noise at all due to the cache.

I suspect the root of the problem is the 256Mbyte memory. I've run Windows XP with 512Mbyte RAM, but never with only 256Mbyte - so I can't be certain.

I'd add RAM ASAP and repeat your test - just be certain - and be sure you don't exceed the initial warranty period.

Hope this helps!

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:20 pm

Thoughts:
* Your drive most likely supports S.M.A.R.T. Sometimes you must run a utility, downloaded from the drive mfgr's site, to enable this feature.
* Install Everest Home Edition (free) and have a look at the SMART data for your hard drive. Storage > SMART > your drive.
* Install SpeedFan. The SMART tab contains health information about drives that support SMART.

at the link below, go to the end of page 2, someone has posted a screenshot of SpeedFan SMART tab. One parameter is out of the acceptable range, see RED circle item, this has alterted the owner that there is perhaps a problem with the drive.

Defective Samsung 250 GB SATA. tell me your experiences
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=27612