As Quiet As Possible

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sam820921

As Quiet As Possible

Post by sam820921 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:05 am

Hello Everybody, Sam from Sweden here. My first post ever :D

As the headline suggest Im want to deafen my system as far as possible. Not interested in OC at all.

My existing soundmaking parts and there respective cooling:
PSU: Zalman 480 W Neopower w 120 fan
CPU: Zalman 7700CU
VGA: Arctic Cooling Silencer(dont sure which number)
HDD: 2x250GB Western Digital w no cooling at all

Anyhow: this is my plan, so feel free to criticize and comment on future upgrades.
CPU: Ninja Scythe (not to unfamiliar for anyone i guess)
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Scyt ... 58_en.html

GPU: Thermaltake Fanless Schooner
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Ther ... 83_en.html

PSU: Really reluctant to change the whole PSU just to gain a few dB. Since m existing PSU already has a slow going 120m fan, theres in not much room for improvements here in my point of view.

HDD: No Ideas here, ANy suggestions??

FAN: Since there has to be some airflow except the PSU fan, Im gonna throw in a Nexus as exhaust in the back.

Thanks in Advance for Any Help

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:48 am

I'm not too experienced around here but the Ninja is a good way to go, actually it would be nice to list a case you are using or planning to use as this would give people a great sence of the airflow paths you're planning to use.

The gpu might be a no noise solution, but I'm not sure whether the surface of the heatsink is large enough for passive cooling, to be on the safe side, have a Nexus fan to blow on to it.

But really, hand over a few more details and I'm sure other people will have more sensible comments for you

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:51 am

I forgot

WELCOME TO SPCR !

gud4u

Post by gud4u » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:27 am

Since ventilation is dependent on a single rear case fan, and you don't list your case, I'd suggest the following:
- Optimize front-to-back air flow path, remove restrictions.
- If front air filter is restrictive, replace with less-restrictive filter media.
- Remove any side-ducts, if you have them.
- Tape off any side vent holes.
- Tape off any top/blow-hole vents.
- Vibration-isolate both vent and CPU-cooler fans.
- Vibration-isolate hard drive(s).

Generally, any air-flow path except the front-to-back:
- Tends to create in-the-side-and-out-the-back air-flow path.
- Hard drives tend to run hotter as a result (lower air-flow over drives).
- Internal fan and drive case-noise is higher.

Hope this helps!

sam820921

Post by sam820921 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Sorry about that, should have stated my system:

CPU: 3.2 Ghz LGA775
GPU: X800XT
Case: Chieftec Mesh Tower
http://www.silenthardware.de/reviews/ca ... 01sl_sl_b/
I seems that I have to cover upp all the intake holes in order to gain as much air circulation as possible.

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:24 pm

I don't know whether this is possible so I hope other people will fill me in:

Flip the PSU upside down and duct it's intake to the grill at the top of it.
It should allow the PSU to get nice cool air, hmm maybe the intake will suck up hot air from the lower exhaust, maybe some bent sheet or a cardboard
made contraption looking like one of those mufflers may ensure cool air
to be taken in. Any thoughts on this?

By the way, I totally dislike the front (or side actually) intakefans.

.... TINSNIPS !

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:28 pm

Nobody else has said it yet apparently, so I will:

Thermaltake sucks.

justblair

Post by justblair » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:18 am

Thermaltake sucks.
Thats helpfull! Have you tried the schooner? What temps did you get?

The thing with Thermatake is that they do make some good products, and they do make some crocks as well. Depending on where you live in the world the price of TT stuff can be dramatically cheaper which can tip the balance dramatically in their favour.

My brother used the schooner in his system to very good effect up untill recently. Not unfortunately with the x800 so not sure how usefull this info will be.

Things to note.

Pros

It works.
It's silent
Here in the UK its very available and dramatically cheaper than the Zalman equivelant.

Cons

Its fiddly to fit. Though not overly so. Takes about 10-20 minutes to fit. You need a precision screwdriver for the task.

It leaves a protrusion at the back of the case. If your moving the case around a lot this may be a consideration

Different cases have different gaps for PCI back plates. My Brother origionally had a coolermaster case that wouldn't allow the external rad to fit through, This meant he had to part assemble the cooler outside and complete it inside the case. See point 1 and double it. In his Nexus Breeze case he had no such problem.

It can interfere with your plans for aiflow in the case. It leaves a gap in the case at the PCI bay. This is no biggie as there are various ways around it. Ghetto wise you can tape it up or use foam. If you really wanted to you could drill a PCI blank for the heatpipes to pass through and close the gap that way.

Otherwise I wouldn't knock the product, Its one of several offerings from TT that are often overlooked here thanks to the herd mentality.

With the deepest respect Mars I think you are doing users here a diservice when you make blanket comments like that on this forum. You are not the only one that does it. It leaves users quite often hunting for rarer more expensive products than they necessarily need. Great they may get a couple of degrees better performance from the more expensive product, but that may mean delaying the next phase of silencing unneccesarily.

sam820921

Post by sam820921 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:18 am

There are 3 options for passive VGA cooling(x800XT) for me and the price difference in Sweden between the coolers are merely a couple of dollars, so price is not a issue.
I just need help to chose the one with best passive cooling capacity.
I have no problems abandoning schooner for its installations issues.

These VGA cooler are the preferred ones for me:
Aerocool VM102
http://www.aerocool.com.tw/p-cooler/vm-102/vm102.htm

Be-Quiet Polar Freezer
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Be_Q ... 03_en.html

And last, THe TT Schooner.

Im happy to receive other suggestions on passive VGA coolers. The only criteria is that is should be passive and fit Radeon X800XT. Price is not an issue.

diver

Post by diver » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:36 am

You might want to try lowering the fan speed on the 7700 cooler below the stock 5v/980 rpm. At 640 rpm it drops below the level of hard drive noise.

My system allows this with motherboard control plus the fanmate, bot set to the minimum. Other options include the free Speedfan progam, resistors or diodes, or using two fanmates in serial.

I am using a Zalman ZM80-HP on my 6600GT. It works nicely. Some of the cooling comes from the 7700 CPU cooler, as it is only about 4 cm away. PCI slot covers on both sides of the VGA card are open, and that is where a lot of the cooling air comes from.

sam820921

Post by sam820921 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:48 am

I have decided to get rid of the 7700 for a couple of reasons:
1. a friend of mine wants to buy it
2. it cooling capacity is less better (not that 7700 is bad) than the Scythe Ninja
3. Its fan blows inward on MB, which means I dont get the hot air outside, which i would with a exhaust fan in the back.

The Zalman ZM80-HP seems a little to weak in cooling compared to Aerocool VM-102 or the Be quiet Polar Freezer. (no offence :D))